Thanks

personal project character Merlin

Ave,

currently working on a personal project of Merlin. Short narrative: Merlin is leading young Arthur to excalibur during a cold and mysterious night...The King is not in composition yet, so no need to search for him lol. This is still in an early stage I guess and I was fixing as much as possible. At least what my brain was able to realise last night. Still I feel, their is to much off and I have trouble indicating the lighting in this scene...I would be happy about critique and feedback and maybe some demos on how to solve core issues in this composition during the process. If time allows it. Peace and good fight. Good night
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    the Ink

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Seems a little bleak, but if it's a comic not bad.

Though this Merlin looks more like Leonidas from '300' or Magneato than a wizard.. but so it goes.

As for lighting - what time of day is it?

Where is he? Outside? Underground?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Seems a little bleak, but if it's a comic not bad.

Though this Merlin looks more like Leonidas from '300' or Magneato than a wizard.. but so it goes.

As for lighting - what time of day is it?

Where is he? Outside? Underground?
    yep, he is more like a superhero version of Merlin wizard/warrior. I love superheroes :-) Not sure about his final outfit though. For the environment I was thinking of a snow landscape at dusk and mystic moon lighting from top and a lot of wind blowing I guess. But Underground would be a cool location as well. Oh man, while writing these lines I'm asking my self if it would not be a better idea to create an environment first and than adding a character to it. I'm lost...Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Merlin so ripped. I didn’t know studying books of lost grimore was such a good workout! Those books must really be magic...

You know, if your version of this character becomes popular, little kids are going to start asking their parents why all the old stories got it wrong and made him all… noodle-y (That is the proper term when describing a wizard, isn’t it?)

Yeah, it’s pretty interesting to see the drastically different takes over the ages.

The image in black and white is great for a comic book (nice to see that western style). The lighting/shadow is probably technically off, but with all the values compressed into just black and white, plus the stylization to make it read clearly and pleasantly, it’s good. The issue is that it doesn’t translate as well if you open up your values going full color. I like the way you did the foreground with the blue – it’s pleasing to the eye but as you mentioned, the light is not being rendered accurately enough in this scene.

One thing you may try is adding the light in steps (one light source at a time), to keep it simple. I’m assuming you want that magic orb to give off light so you can use it for awesome, dramatic effects in the future – of course, this adds a whole new level of complexity. There should be blue light trailing up his forearm. I would imagine a “feathered” sphere of light around the base of it, slowly tapering off (maybe simplified to a few values - none lighter than the original source, of course) and marking the body parts where they would intersect with the sphere, before worrying about the swooshy tail.

If you want to do painterly pieces, you are going to need to devote a lot of time to studying light. Like anatomy, it is not an easy thing to master but the pay off is huge. However, your black and white piece is presentable and nicely inked: you may wish to take advantage of this, finding a pleasing way to merge color with it and creating a style. Within a well-inked image, lighting issues do not stand out as much. The closer you get to photorealism, the more every little issue stands out.

Please understand, I am not asking you to use style as a crutch – you should still study lighting as much as you can, to advance yourself as an artist – merely that you seem to have other strengths you can take advantage of (not everyone knows how to ink).

I’d recommend study from real life, doing your own experiments with a few science books thrown in. Stay away from James Gurney’s “Color and Light” - it has a lot of information in it that is just plain wrong. Unless you want to use every section as a question to be solved with experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkognito View Post
    yep, he is more like a superhero version of Merlin wizard/warrior. I love superheroes :-) Not sure about his final outfit though. For the environment I was thinking of a snow landscape at dusk and mystic moon lighting from top and a lot of wind blowing I guess. But Underground would be a cool location as well. Oh man, while writing these lines I'm asking my self if it would not be a better idea to create an environment first and than adding a character to it. I'm lost...Peace
    Yes, it helps to have the environment laid out before you handle lighting.

Hope this was helpful - I'm looking forward to seeing your take on superhero Merlin. In fact, it reminds me of one of my own comicbook characters.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lady Of The Lake For This Useful Post: