Thanks

First Sketchbook on Here

Hello everyone!

Never did an online sketchbook before so this will be something really new to me. I'm in the middle of taking a couple of online art courses, namely drawabox.com and Proko's Figure Drawing Fundamentals courses. Those courses are going to be what I'll spend most of my free time on, but I'll try to make time to work on my own pieces.

I'm not sure how the front cover of my sketchbook works, but I'm assuming it's based on the first image I post on this thread. Since I don't want it to be of my texture assignments or gesture drawings, I'm gonna post my painting of an iguana I started a few weeks ago but plan on finishing at the end of this week:

Name:  iPad_1-13-2019.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  61.7 KB

I'm referencing a photo I took of an iguana while I was on vacation in mexico. Got the initial sketch done and blocked in the local colors. I'm not going to add any color so it's just gonna be grayscale. I still feel like my painting skills and understanding of form aren't good enough to move onto color, so the first few paintings I post on here will most likely only be grayscale.

Here's a couple of quicksketches I did about a week and a half ago referencing animal photos:

10 min:
    Name:  10min.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  74.7 KB

14 min:
    Name:  14min.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  63.7 KB

Markmanship is something I'm trying to continually work on, but it's hard for me to ever get it "right." I feel like I try to "feel around" a lot when I draw. I also feel like I don't use construction enough, and my drawings end up looking flat as a result.

Regarding the drawabox lessons and Proko's course, I have imgur albums of them:

Drawabox: https://imgur.com/a/ZusSvZu

This is just half of lesson 2. I was hoping to get all of lesson 2 done by today, but the texture studies ended up taking more time than I had anticipated, so I'm pushing the due date to next Sunday. I use a 0.5mm fineliner on printer paper for these assignments by the way.

Proko's course: https://imgur.com/a/I5jVNGd and https://imgur.com/a/gPBM04W

These are done with ballpoint pen on printer paper.

First link is me studying Proko's gesture examples on his course site. First gesture on the left is me attempting the pose without watching his example. The second gesture is me watching Proko's example and following along. Third is me attempting the pose a second time without looking at Proko's gesture. I have a bad habit of trying to correct any "bad" lines I make, so that's why some areas on a gesture are darker and more crowded than others. This is also why I'm using ballpoint pen because I'm trying to force myself to stop putting down shitty lines without actually thinking it through for a bit.

The second link is two different gesture sessions involving a mix of 30 second poses and 2 minute poses. I didn't label the poses, so it can be hard to tell which is which. Generally, the less detailed poses are the 30 second ones. Some I like, some I hate, but I guess that's just how it goes with quicksketch and gesture studies sometimes.

I plan on posting in this sketchbook on a daily basis. I was planning on starting this sketchbook last week, but felt I didn't have enough content to open with a post. I still don't feel like I'm presenting all that much content here, but I thought I may as well start sooner rather than later.

I plan on posting here everyday, and since my highest priority right now are concentrating on drawabox and Proko's courses, that's what most of my posts will be. I will attempt to at least get one painting done each week, but I don't want to guarantee anything. I'm very busy during my weekdays when including my coursework, and my weekends are often unpredictable with how much work I'll get done.

Hope to learn through posting on here, and hope to get some good critiques as well! I really want to improve as an artist, especially as a painter and character illustrator.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have a bunch of paintings and sketches from last year that I worked through. I didn't post them here cuz I thought they'd be too old and not a good indication of my current skill, but if anyone is interested I can post them here anyway.
    Last edited by aallen; 1 Week Ago at 01:30 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Day 2:

On "The Bean" section for Proko's Figure Drawing course. Took some notes of the initial video:

Name:  IMG_3113.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  130.5 KBName:  IMG_3114.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  134.2 KBName:  IMG_3115.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  120.2 KBName:  IMG_3116.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  150.2 KB

Also did more of the texture analysis assignment on drawabox.com:

Name:  IMG_3112.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  329.6 KB

Not quite done with the stainless steel one, but I think I did alright with the tree bark, and did horribly on the tiger fur. I'm not sure how to portray fur using a fineliner. I'm also just not sure how to portray fur in general lol.

I made horizontal marks on the stainless steel texture cuz that's what I saw in my reference photo, but I feel like it may be screwing up the portrayal of a metal texture. I've seen other people portray metal with ink, and it seems like they use a lot of hard edges for the reflections of light. Perhaps I should have used vertical lines instead.

I wasn't able to make any progress on the iguana painting unfortunately. I'll see if I can make time for it tomorrow, although I'm currently sick right now so I'm hoping that doesn't mess me up tomorrow.

Thanks
    I think something you need to get out of the habit of doing is all those scirtchy scratchy lines. They look messy, and it's not something you want to continue doing later in your art journey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    I think something you need to get out of the habit of doing is all those scirtchy scratchy lines. They look messy, and it's not something you want to continue doing later in your art journey.
    Hello AJams! Thanks for posting on my sketchbook. Marksmanship is something I'm actively working on, and the "scirtcy scratchy" lines is something I try to avoid when I remember to avoid it. If I may ask, are you referring to the Proko beans as being "scirtchy scratchy," or the texture analysis?

Thanks
    If I may ask, are you referring to the Proko beans as being "scirtchy scratchy," or the texture analysis? First Sketchbook on Here

I'm referring to everything. It's all scritchy scratchy, the whole lot.

Thanks
    I'm referring to everything. It's all scritchy scratchy, the whole lot.
    Okay. Out of these drawings, which one would you say is the "most" scratchy, and which is the "least" scratchy? Also, if you can, could you explain why you picked the drawings you picked?:

Name:  beans.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  39.3 KB

I tend to do "scratchy" lines when I'm trying to figure out how a form exists in space by feeling out the rhythm of each line. I know I'm most likely not going to get the line right on the first stroke, so I go for several of them, all with a light touch, correcting them as I see where the line is wrong. Once I figure out the rhythm of the line, I press harder to try and increase the contrast of that line, so it shows through the lighter lines. I assumed this is how most people sketch.

Considering my methods of sketching, do you believe I should forgo the light lines and just try to make every line the correct, dark line on the first try?

Thanks
    You could always just buy an eraser.

Thanks
    Day 3:

Sickness just got worse today. Today was probably the sickest I've been in a long while. Wanted to draw more but wasn't really able to today. Hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon.

More of "The Bean" from Proko's course:

Name:  bean_forshortening.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  40.5 KBName:  flour_sack.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  28.3 KBName:  beans1.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  42.1 KBName:  beans.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  39.3 KBName:  beans2.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  41.3 KB

For the last three, I divided each bean into it's own section because each row follows a certain format:

First column is attempting the pose without looking at Proko's example.
    Second column is following along with Proko's example
    Third column is attemptin the same pose again

Again, my line quality isn't good. I need to try and use less lines. Using too many lines just makes it look messy, and I assume it's not a good habit to use more lines than necessary. This is the reason I want to practice timed poses using ink. I'm doing it in the hopes that I'll stop making unecessary lines, but I tend to forget that that's my purpose for using ink, and go wild with the lines anyway.

Here's the finished texture analysis from drawabox.com:

Name:  texture_analysis.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  124.0 KB

Well, I say "finished" even though the fur texture looks awful. I need to revisit it for the next texture assignment.

Also, watched Uncomfortable's video for the next assignment and he mentioned not to "scribble" in the textures, which is definitely what I did, so I'll have to keep in mind not to do that.

Thanks
    You could always just buy an eraser.
    Well I did erase for the pencil sketches. The ones on printer paper and the texture analysis are in ink though.

I suppose for the pencil sketches I didn't do a good job with fixing up the lines and making sure the lines were heavy in the right places. I've been trying to clean up my sketches over time, but they're still pretty messy.

Thanks
    That was probably a bit harsh I'm sorry. But even your digital drawings are very scratchy. The advantage with working on the computer is you have all sorts of tricks to clean up your presentation. We all use lines to find the shapes before we can really commit. But keep in mind if you want to make finished work it needs to look presentable. And it's best to get into the habit of using as few lines as possible

Thanks
    That was probably a bit harsh I'm sorry. But even your digital drawings are very scratchy. The advantage with working on the computer is you have all sorts of tricks to clean up your presentation. We all use lines to find the shapes before we can really commit. But keep in mind if you want to make finished work it needs to look presentable. And it's best to get into the habit of using as few lines as possible
    Oh, no problem! It's better to be harsh but honest, than to be nice but restricted.

My digital drawings are indeed still very scratchy, so I think a good thing that I could do is to make my sketch clean and readable before painting over it, rather than leaving it unclear and scratchy when I paint over it. I could also try doing a fully-fledged drawing with just lines (like using a mechanical pencil, but digitally).

Thanks
    My suggestion would also just to practice lines, they don't have to necessarily resemble anything. If you're not already, try to draw from your elbow to create fluid motion. You can also try drawing with only pen (or any other medium, why not mix it up!) to force you to make definitive lines. Here's a video demonstrating different types of lines, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVBsottz0eA

Keep it up, your beans have some flow to them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 1,046 Posts
    I suggest you work your way through http://www.drawabox.com
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by svemir View Post
    My suggestion would also just to practice lines, they don't have to necessarily resemble anything. If you're not already, try to draw from your elbow to create fluid motion. You can also try drawing with only pen (or any other medium, why not mix it up!) to force you to make definitive lines. Here's a video demonstrating different types of lines, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVBsottz0eA
    Hello svemir! Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I usually do drawabox's superimposed lines exercise as warmups for general line practice: https://drawabox.com/lesson/1/superimposedlines

I also do the other exercises on lesson 1 for warmups, but I usually do the superimposed lines or ghosting lines exercises as a general warmup.

Also, I'm using fineliner pens for the drawabox exercises, and ballpoint pens for Proko's gesture exercises (with the exception to the notes I take in my sketchbook, to which I use mechanical pencil for that). I haven't used any paints or wet medium for these exercises, which I may do in the future, but for now, I'd like to focus on inexpensive, dry mediums for these exercises, since they take little to no time to set up.

Considering I can still do itchy scratchy lines with ink, I try to remind myself to be more committal with my lines, especially for the gesture practices.

Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I suggest you work your way through http://www.drawabox.com
    Hello eezacque! Thanks for stopping by! I'm actually going through the drawabox lessons right now. The texture analysis is from the drawabox site.

I know my line quality isn't the best, but I'm working on it everyday. I've already gone through the first lesson on drawabox about 3 times by now, and considering what Uncomfortable (the artist behind drawabox) said about completing the lessons, (on the homework page for part 1 of lesson 1, he says, "Do not grind. Complete the recommended amount of each exercise to the best of your ability and move on." https://drawabox.com/lesson/1/4) I'm going to refrain from doing the first lesson over again until I complete drawabox as a whole.

Thanks
    I have a similar problem with overdoing lines, making it look a bit messy. But your bean shapes are looking solid, so just focus on making it cleaner. Using pen does help I can confirm, since it’s harder to cheat. Reminds me that I need to do that exercise as well...keep going

Thanks
    Day 4:

More beans from Proko's examples video. As always, the order from left to right is:

1. First attempt
    2. Following Proko
    3. Second attempt

Name:  IMG_3135.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  124.6 KBName:  IMG_3134.JPG
Size:  129.4 KBName:  IMG_3130.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  124.6 KBName:  IMG_3132.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  123.5 KBName:  IMG_3137.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  130.7 KBName:  IMG_3136.JPG
Size:  128.8 KBName:  IMG_3133.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  124.4 KBName:  IMG_3131.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  124.6 KB

I tried to use less lines this time, and it worked for some of the beans, but for the others, I couldn't help but try and make the lines "perfect" by going over them multiple times.

Started on the drawabox dissections. I actually took some notes from Uncomfortables video:
    Name:  IMG_3138.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  201.9 KB

The outer layer are lizard scales, while the inside is kiwi fruit.

I went ahead and tried the exercise myself by referencing alligator scales, and this is what I got:
    Name:  IMG_3125.jpeg
Size:  171.1 KB

This is the ref I was using:
    Name:  gator_scales.jpg
Size:  320.6 KB

I feel like I did a really bad job with it, but I'm also not sure how I could've made it better. I tried to have the light source be above and to the right, an so I put most of the cast shadows on the left. I imagined drawing it on a curved surface, so I tried accentuating the form of the spikes to make it look like the form as a whole is curving in space. I also tried to portray the wrinkles in the gator's skin, but it just looks like I put meaningless scribbles everywhere. I tried finding a rhythm to the wrinkles, but it really didn't work out.

Still sick today. Had to deal with chest congestion all day, and now my larynx hurts. Guess I'm gonna have to deal with this sickness for a few more days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aallen; 5 Days Ago at 09:47 PM.

Thanks
    How do I get rid of the "Attached Images" section of the post?

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I have a similar problem with overdoing lines, making it look a bit messy. But your bean shapes are looking solid, so just focus on making it cleaner. Using pen does help I can confirm, since it’s harder to cheat. Reminds me that I need to do that exercise as well...keep going
    Whoops, almost forgot to reply to you! Thanks for stopping by! Yeah I agree that ink is a great way to build some discipline with line control.

Thanks
    line work looking better already

Thanks
    line work looking better already
    Thanks AJams! I'm trying to improve my linework everyday!

Day 5:

My original post got deleted cuz I accidentally opened one of my images in Chrome, which just overwrote this page, and I lost all progress on my post. Oh well.

I finished one of the dissections for drawabox:
    Name:  IMG_3141.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  173.6 KB

Like I said, my post got deleted and I lost all progress, so I'm gonna summarize what I wrote before it got deleted:

The middle piece is stone on the outside, uncooked ramen on the inside. The rightmost piece is fur on the outside, and syrup on the inside. I like the fur, stone is iffy, ramen looks like a brain, and the syrup doesn't look like syrup.

References used:

Stone:
    Name:  ES-Profile-Stacked-Stone_Silver-Lining-1500x900.jpg
Size:  239.2 KB

Ramen:
    Name:  26269471-asian-a-block-of-ramen-instant-noodles-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
Size:  209.0 KB

Syrup:
    Name:  1200-179636931-maple-syrup-in-glass-bowl.jpg
Size:  85.3 KB

Fur:
    Name:  beaver-fur.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  307.3 KB

More beans from Proko's example video:
    Name:  IMG_3144.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_3145.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  132.3 KBName:  IMG_3146.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  116.8 KBName:  IMG_3147.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  122.1 KBName:  IMG_3142.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  119.9 KBName:  IMG_3143.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  119.2 KB

I'm just gonna leave the post like this. I fucked up my back while doing squats today and now I'm very tired lol. I'll be back at it tomorrow though!

Thanks
    Alright, so I wasn't actually "back at it" the next day. My weekend ended up being pretty hectic (I also got pretty lazy), so I didn't do any of the studies on Friday and Saturday. I still drew on those days, but it was more so doodling than anything.

Day 6:

I decided to start the day with quicksketching portraits from picture reference as a warmup:
    Name:  IMG_3149.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  128.0 KBName:  IMG_3150.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  136.1 KB

Here's the refs I used:
    Name:  refs.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.1 KB

I've never actually committed fully to learning how to draw portraits and so I kinda guessed on the proportions and features on these. I understand the loomis methods of drawing heads and understand general proportion rules, but I never did in-depth studies of each of the features. Because of that, I'm going to be switching to Proko's portrait lessons and finish those first before going back to his figure drawing lessons.

More studies of Proko's bean examples. These were focused on foreshortening:
    Name:  IMG_3152.JPG
Size:  132.8 KBName:  IMG_3153.JPG
Size:  137.6 KBName:  IMG_3154.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  131.8 KBName:  IMG_3155.JPG
Size:  135.1 KB

I also did a timed sessions of 30 second beans. I got a little over 40 done:
    Name:  IMG_3156.JPG
Size:  133.0 KBName:  IMG_3157.JPG
Size:  120.6 KBName:  IMG_3158.JPG
Size:  125.5 KBName:  IMG_3159.JPG
Size:  126.8 KBName:  IMG_3160.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  121.4 KB

Also, I switched to a fineliner from a ballpoint pen halfway through the examples studies. I feel like it's easier to control my lines with a fineliner since there's more friction on the paper when compared to a ballpoint pen. Ballpoint pens seem to be a little harder to control in terms of line consistency and clarity, at least for me.

I finished another part of the dissections exercise:
    Name:  IMG_3151.JPG
Size:  206.7 KB

Outside is dirt and inside is banana.

Reference for dirt:
    Name:  1_d8DyNLUIa8xo5rGrO-2FSg.jpg
Size:  376.4 KB

Reference for banana:
    Name:  91372582-banana-slice-isolated-banana-on-white-background-.jpg
Size:  113.4 KB

Thanks
    Nice studies :>, but I think your warmup quick sketch portraits would be more helpful for you if you did them bigger.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaulta View Post
    Nice studies :>, but I think your warmup quick sketch portraits would be more helpful for you if you did them bigger.
    Okay, I'll try to make them bigger next time!

Thanks
    Day 7:

Did another quicksketch session before starting on anything else:
    Name:  IMG_3164.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  112.1 KBName:  IMG_3165.JPG
Size:  113.7 KB

I did the last ref twice cuz I felt like I didn't give the head good dimensionality when I first drew it, especially for the brow ridge. For the second time I drew it I focused more on the structure of the head, especially with the brow.

Refs:
    Name:  refs.png
Size:  361.1 KB

More progress on the Drawabox dissections:
    Name:  IMG_3163.JPG
Size:  185.0 KB

Labeled the textures this time.

Refs:
    Name:  ref1.jpg
Size:  88.9 KB

So like I said in my last post, I'm switching to Proko's portrait course until I get it done, then I'll be switching back to the figure drawing course. Here's some notes I took of the first lesson for the portrait course:
    Name:  IMG_3166.JPG
Size:  116.5 KBName:  IMG_3167.JPG
Size:  111.8 KB