Thanks

Looking for advice about something...

Now I've created a poster to promote my comic series Astron's Crusaders, and I feel something's missing. Any advice on how to make this a good advertising poster?Name:  Astron's Crusaders Second Poster.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  93.2 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This likely belongs in Art Critique.
    You have a big swath of canvas space and you've cropped out half of one of the focal characters.
    No real indicators of any setting?
    A background could be foregone if the Title font was descriptive to what the project is about.
    If you're using a mouse most freeware these days have tools for area selection and making clean line strokes without requiring a stylus.

Thanks
    I would agree that the composition and wiggly lines are an issue. Comics are judged on graphics so you cover should be your best work.

Thanks
    Yeah either get an app with line smoothing if you're using a mouse, or stop using an etch-a-sketch. I'm assuming you're quite young, a good tablet to start with is a Wacom bamboo ink or something along those lines, get a cheap one first, get used to drawing with one, then get a intuos for cheap, even an older Wacom intuos 4. Its really hard to critique something like this as its hard to distinguish if errors are down to tools/hardware or skill.

Thanks
    Don't make your comic in mspaint ffs

Thanks
    Garlic Jr. is the best part of this page, sadly. Regardless of age or skill, the "cookie cutter" advice really is best applied here. Keep doing what you're doing, incorporate regular and close study of figures into your drawings, keep practicing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    You can use report so mods can see these threads easier

Use traditional and start from here https://drawabox.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    If it's the cover, you need to showcase your best art and composition. Try a load of thumbnails and work on the best. If you can photograph or scan them, you can open them in paint to work on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    You have a big swath of canvas space and you've cropped out half of one of the focal characters.
    No real indicators of any setting? A background could be foregone if the Title font was descriptive to what the project is about.
    If you're using a mouse most freeware these days have tools for area selection and making clean line strokes without requiring a stylus.
    That's my bad, because I didn't see the Art Critique forum. I'm glad the mods moved it.

Also forgive my ignorance, because I had no idea have a background indicating a setting would've been vital... But the fact that I got that same criticism twice elsewhere and then here is telling...

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhugger View Post
    I would agree that the composition and wiggly lines are an issue. Comics are judged on graphics so you cover should be your best work.
    Well it's not a cover, but a promotional poster, though your point stands regardless, meaning I've gotta clean up the line work.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchi24 View Post
    Yeah either get an app with line smoothing if you're using a mouse, or stop using an etch-a-sketch. I'm assuming you're quite young, a good tablet to start with is a Wacom bamboo ink or something along those lines, get a cheap one first, get used to drawing with one, then get a intuos for cheap, even an older Wacom intuos 4. Its really hard to critique something like this as its hard to distinguish if errors are down to tools/hardware or skill.
    I'm not that young, I'm 30... I just happen to be an immensely lazy artist. And I'm using a bamboo wacom tablet not a mouse. Hopefully it'll help with your critiques. :p

Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    Don't make your comic in mspaint ffs
    Not MSPaint, but Clip Studio Paint...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Garlic Jr. is the best part of this page, sadly. Regardless of age or skill, the "cookie cutter" advice really is best applied here. Keep doing what you're doing, incorporate regular and close study of figures into your drawings, keep practicing.
    Geez, the fact that you compared Obscuros to Garlic Jr. makes me want to redesign him, but the thing I'm lazy in that regard... Though I'm tempted to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    If it's the cover, you need to showcase your best art and composition. Try a load of thumbnails and work on the best. If you can photograph or scan them, you can open them in paint to work on.
    It's a promotional poster, but your point stands I'm trying to promote my comic with it.

Thanks
    Not MSPaint, but Clip Studio Paint...
    Well it looks like ms paint, and if it looks like ms paint then you should know it needs work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardansson View Post
    I'm not that young, I'm 30... I just happen to be an immensely lazy artist. And I'm using a bamboo wacom tablet not a mouse. Hopefully it'll help with your critiques. :p
    Wow well, laziness doesn't create lines like that, you're doing something very wrong. I would have thought a 30 year old would see some of these errors, experienced artist or not. Are you sure your tablet's drivers are up to date? Is it set to use pressure in Clip Studio?

Critique-wise, you're drawing symbols instead of actually drawing form of volume, you should start with the basics fundamentals before you start drawing a comic. Right now it comes off as quite child like. Try increasing the resolution of your canvas for a start. I'm not trying to be harsh, Its just a promotional image should promote.

Thanks
    Actually to add, if this is a promotional poster... Have you seen promotional posters? You might want to get more exciting than the basic arial font for your title. Also work your title in with the image, do something interesting. Not black standard text on white background with two characters below. It just looks like a complete lack of care went into it. And why is there a white border around the image? Creating even more unneeded negative space. Actually look at some posters if you want to make a poster. Create something dynamic.

Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well it looks like ms paint, and if it looks like ms paint then you should know it needs work.
    In all fairness, yeah I do now. :p

Quote Originally Posted by tenchi24 View Post
    Wow well, laziness doesn't create lines like that, you're doing something very wrong. I would have thought a 30 year old would see some of these errors, experienced artist or not. Are you sure your tablet's drivers are up to date? Is it set to use pressure in Clip Studio?

Critique-wise, you're drawing symbols instead of actually drawing form of volume, you should start with the basics fundamentals before you start drawing a comic. Right now it comes off as quite child like. Try increasing the resolution of your canvas for a start. I'm not trying to be harsh, Its just a promotional image should promote.
    Well, I don't see you as being harsh, unless I missed something and honest opinions are considered harsh these days... As for pressure settings and driver updates, I don't think that was the problem, because when I went to utilize the critiques I received here and elsewhere, I managed to straighten out the line work on the female character, Rina.

So yeah, it was me being an idiot in not noticing that detail, because I usually do...

Actually to add, if this is a promotional poster... Have you seen promotional posters? You might want to get more exciting than the basic arial font for your title. Also work your title in with the image, do something interesting. Not black standard text on white background with two characters below. It just looks like a complete lack of care went into it. And why is there a white border around the image? Creating even more unneeded negative space. Actually look at some posters if you want to make a poster. Create something dynamic.
    I have looked at several posters, which proves your point... My problem is I like to keep things simple. I'm lazy as result too, anything more complicated than what I just showed would take a lot of time. I'd hire a free lancer, but that'd take too much time...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Name:  gj.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  130.6 KB
    LMFAO! I hope it's not that obvious that I'm a DragonBall fan, because you proved your point and provided me with a good laugh.

Though you tempt me to want to change his design, because of how basic it is.