Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Who else here hit their 30's and found themselves back here?

I have been reading this and that in various sketchbooks. Seems like a lot of people came here in their late teens, early 20's, left, got a lot of life experience and came back around 30 to give it one last shot at being a concept artist.

That's how I ended up back here. Though this place is seeing tough times, I didn't know where else to go. This still seems like the best bet.

I have battled depression, an ex-wife, unemployment, and deaths of people close to me. I am still standing and there is one thing I need to take care of. Being a concept artist.

If you are in the same boat of leaving and coming back to art give a shout out.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeSolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yup, I fit the bill. Becoming a concept artist isn't a concern to me, but I do like the idea of illustration as a side gig. It would help motivate spending so much of the little free time I have! It's no wonder people drop out from time to time, as it takes a serious commitment. I try to think about what "went wrong" back then - nothing really did, I went into other pursuits and got the life experience I needed. But when you're really young you're sensitive, and having too high expectations and just not the right work ethic eventually killed the vibe for me. I also think I didn't have a great amount of good ideas. There's a saying about writers, that you have to live before you can write properly. But I think that goes for a lot of vocations.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was briefly involved in illustration 20 years ago, and at this point my thirties are behind me and I am not seeking a career in art--but I still occasionally do illustration. I am here because there are very few active artist's forums where people aren't just fluffing each others egos.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Happy to hear from you two. I think the idea of trying to generate side income is where it's at for sure.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Not quite there yet but I know what you mean, had loads of inspiration for art but not the focus. Eventually I burnt out, at the moment I’d like to just draw and see where it goes, as long as I can enjoy and improve that’s enough for now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yup, I'm in the same lonely boat as you are

12. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I literally just came back after a couple of years also haha! Feels good to know I'm not the only one.
    Best of luck to you!

Thanks
    We need to perk things up around here. Who will join me in the daily sketch threads? It only takes a few minutes to do a sketch I sometimes do mine on my lunch break.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm trying to do the DSG at least once a week. I haven't been able to do so this week so far, which I don't like very very much.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,734 Times in 4,640 Posts

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's awesome to see all the replies.

@blackspot I like how this is just history repeating.

@EdgareJ I usually dislike the DSG topics. I personally want something more focused on fundamentals like the old spartan training threads.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeSolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe we could request a "basics" month for DSG

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe... I kind of honestly thought that's what the DSG is for... going back to basics; just sketching. Instead of getting caught up in doing a finished level kind of work, it's just sketching (or in my case, a good way to practice speed painting). That's how I treat it anyways... a break from doing the long form.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What edgarej said.
    They're just topics to get the creativity going if you're stuck on ideas.
    Take DSG2862, Stagecoach Horsemen tells Creepy Story About Vampires in the Rain.

It's storytelling within story telling.
    Who are they telling the story to?
    Are they using props, hand gestures?
    It's an opportunity for applied practiced composition, values/lighting, communicating mood through colors, body language, gesture and facial expression.
    Perspective and vehicle design. Drawing horses.
    Photorealism or exaggerated toon style.
    And it need not be all of those things, it can just be 20 loose thumbnail sketches of that theme.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think its for sketches, but sketches don't have to be basic in subject or scope. Most of them could be done that way though. For me its just a fun thing to do at lunch to shake up my brain after do a statistical metanalysis or some such thing.

Thanks
    I think the dsg has a lot of value. What I am doing right now is a form of art boot camp. Gettin rust off the joints. I have been drawing everyday since Dec 17th 2018. No more phuckin around. I'm not getting any younger.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also don't forget to work your own stuff as well so you see your shortcomings

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's actually a really good tip. @stonec
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,734 Times in 4,640 Posts
    I'm up to my neck at work, plus I've been doing the accounts for an art society where I'm treasurer and my brother's accounts. All have to be completed by the end of the month, so I sneak in some quick and simple master studies. Anything is better than no art.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I keep coming back here regularly too.I just really miss this website at times. It was the community I felt most at home ever.

Edit: Whoops I am not really 30 yet, but I will turn 30 this year...... oh my

I never expected to be 30 lol

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yep I'm in the same boat too. I'm always thinking about if I would have kept drawing back then, I would have been an amazing artist right now.

Thanks
    I think I joined in 2005, and now it's 2019, so joined at eighteen, almost 14 years between being here initially and stumbling back. Makes me miss the old days of drawing obsessively to make one iota of progress. Now I'm teaching oil painting classes and selling commissions. I'd never have guessed I'd have ended up on the other side of the classroom or people would actually want to buy something I produced.

@ leo_7
    It's never too late.
    Obvious troll is obvious

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That fat kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Leo_7: I have similar thoughts and try my best to push them away. The truth for me at least is I didn't make a full commitment before and I didn't really know what discipline was. I also had a lot of distractions. I think you have to mentally make the decision to get dope, otherwise you are just gonna stumble around. I just draw everyday now and study from books (reading the words, not just looking at the pics). I don't even fuck with not drawing daily. Yoda has the whole "do or do not mentality." It's the same thing. Commit or don't.

@That Fat Kid - Exactly.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

44. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I believe that many of our members would relate to your experiences, for many of us the pursuit of developing a career in concept art led into alternative career-paths.
    In regards to myself, having joined the site in 2003 as a teenager with the intention of pursuing a career as a concept artist, I rediscovered my interest in
    graphic design, consequently progressing to develop a career in said industry. I still keep a sketchbook and attempt to incorporate my illustrations into my professional work, where applicable.
    Something revolutionary is coming to the boards, my sketchbook coming soon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSolo View Post
    Seems like a lot of people came here in their late teens, early 20's, left, got a lot of life experience and came back around 30 to give it one last shot at being a concept artist.
    Yes, this sounds familiar

I went into the games industry because I was very interested both in the artistic as well as the technological side of making games. I had studied game design and did well both in the design aspects as well as in programming and was looking forward to honing both of these skills as a professional.

Frustratingly, for most of my professional life, I have been shoehorned into the role of a programmer. The fact that I could also do creative work was largely ignored by my employers. I wasn't bad at programming, but in the long term, it wasn't satisfying work for me.

It was around the time I turned 30 that I realized that that situation wouldn't change on it's own and that I had to make a concious decisions to try and make a living as an artist and that is what I am trying to do right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I come and look now and then, but overall this forum is not what it used to be when I was in my teens and early 20's. And yes I am around 30 too. Just wished I could earn a living with this skill I have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSolo View Post
    @ Leo_7: I have similar thoughts and try my best to push them away. The truth for me at least is I didn't make a full commitment before and I didn't really know what discipline was. I also had a lot of distractions. I think you have to mentally make the decision to get dope, otherwise you are just gonna stumble around. I just draw everyday now and study from books (reading the words, not just looking at the pics). I don't even fuck with not drawing daily. Yoda has the whole "do or do not mentality." It's the same thing. Commit or don't.
    For real. I've set my goal and it's to become a Spectrum Grand Master. That's a hell of an aspiration, but I'm gonna at least try. The worst that can happen is I'll fail. At least I will have tried though. I'm going to set up a YouTube account as well. That's way outside of my comfort zone, but James Gurney has a YouTube account. Gotta walk the walk you know. Can't live your dream in obscurity.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A spectrum grand master... wow, I didn't realize there was such a thing

Thanks
    I had to comment because I just hit 30 and now I'm back here. I started my sketchbook thread at 19. Dear god has time passed. More than 10 years have passed, I haven't really made any money from my art other than a couple of freelance graphic design here and there. I did work in post production since 2010 but after getting married, I left a town where work is, so for now - i'll be here to draw/paint as a hobby again while working on starting another career, whatever that wil be.

Cheering on everyone who are still working on that concept artist dream!
    Hi again everyoneeee!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast