Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This thread just grows and grows.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    A point to remember, is that starting-over can be viewed as an opportunity rather than a consequence of failure, or a perceived failure. Certainly, in regards to the creative industries
    one has to be able to adapt and willing to pursue new practices, due to the transient nature of the industries themselves.
    Something revolutionary is coming to the boards, my sketchbook coming soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pretty much, I've gotten more serious as of late so hopefully something happens, I've been out of touch with the art community for a long time now so it's a bit bewildering how the culture and industry has change.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Me!

(long post incoming)

I started coming here in 2010, quit after 4 or so years.
    I quit doing "traditional" art for a while due to being too harsh on myself and burning out, but also because of school and *ahem* other distractions, like meeting my partner
    I was just at the "beginner beginner barely getting away from stick figures" stage though, so not a great loss.
    Over the years, spinning, some woodworking, machine knitting, dyeing and blending wool fiber kind of filled that void of needing to create.
    I'm still trying to graduate from my engineering course, but the past 12 months have been a serious roller coaster ride.
    My dad got diagnosed with the worst kind of brain cancer (GBM IV), 2 years into retirement (though, given the circumstances he is doing OK!). And I've lost 4 people close to me over the past 6 months, all way too young.
    So currently that's making me look really hard at my happiness, and what exactly it is I want to do with my life (and what I realistically can do) and what I'd need to achieve that.

I don't want to be a college dropout, especially at my age, but... I'm starting to realize that I can't see myself going into a true electrical engineering job (maybe that's why it's taking me so long).
    The only subjects/tasks I ever liked were ones that involved designing the outside of a product (or parts), designing presentations, putting together reports...the visual stuff.
    So a few months ago I picked up fusion 360 and I'm starting to teach myself how to design 3D objects to see where that will get me.
    Worst case scenario: I learn some new skills that I could apply to a side business I'm working on (fiber shop that also sells knitting/spinning products made from wood).
    Worst worst case scenario: I can 3D print christmas ornaments for the entire family

In any case, the need to start painting again started to bubble and I don't think continuing the basics of drawing would be a bad idea if I want to get into 3D design.

So here I am again.

I'm starting slow though and just want to focus on making it a habit to draw/paint daily (for fun (AKA: will look like crap but I don't care) so I don't burn out) for now. I'm also following an online fusion 360 course.
    Eventually I'll let it morph into more serious studies and get back on track.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,722 Times in 4,628 Posts
    That sort of sucks. When I got married and had kids, my art was done in knitting (hate knitting) needlepoint, cross stitch and interior decorating the house. Once I started again, even though I'd forgotten how to draw and sucked big time, it just felt right. I never realised how much I'd missed it and the side bits never filled that gap.

It's a shame the images are lost on the mindcandyman thread or I'd point you there.

Thanks
    @blackspot... when you say side bits do you mean the knitting and decorating the house, or did you do some drawings scribbles every now and then and you mean that those little scribbles never filled the gap?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,722 Times in 4,628 Posts

Thanks
    I used to lurk around the forum around 2009 but I never posted my art. I've never 'quit' art but I have had my fair share of breaks and soul searching. Now I have a better understanding of what I want to do so I have returned to finally post some work.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillendandie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Hey. Dropping by to say hi. Time is going fast. I joined forum in 2005 and I'm 36 now. I work as 2d generalist in mobile game company. Still learning and doing personal art on the side.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Hey. Dropping by to say hi. Time is going fast. I joined forum in 2005 and I'm 36 now. I work as 2d generalist in mobile game company. Still learning and doing personal art on the side.
    Hi Farvus, yea older you get, faster time goes, Personal work is where you really grow, so I have heard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2