Thanked 1,060 Times in 675 Posts

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This thread just grows and grows.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    A point to remember, is that starting-over can be viewed as an opportunity rather than a consequence of failure, or a perceived failure. Certainly, in regards to the creative industries
    one has to be able to adapt and willing to pursue new practices, due to the transient nature of the industries themselves.
    Something revolutionary is coming to the boards, my sketchbook coming soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pretty much, I've gotten more serious as of late so hopefully something happens, I've been out of touch with the art community for a long time now so it's a bit bewildering how the culture and industry has change.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Me!

(long post incoming)

I started coming here in 2010, quit after 4 or so years.
    I quit doing "traditional" art for a while due to being too harsh on myself and burning out, but also because of school and *ahem* other distractions, like meeting my partner
    I was just at the "beginner beginner barely getting away from stick figures" stage though, so not a great loss.
    Over the years, spinning, some woodworking, machine knitting, dyeing and blending wool fiber kind of filled that void of needing to create.
    I'm still trying to graduate from my engineering course, but the past 12 months have been a serious roller coaster ride.
    My dad got diagnosed with the worst kind of brain cancer (GBM IV), 2 years into retirement (though, given the circumstances he is doing OK!). And I've lost 4 people close to me over the past 6 months, all way too young.
    So currently that's making me look really hard at my happiness, and what exactly it is I want to do with my life (and what I realistically can do) and what I'd need to achieve that.

I don't want to be a college dropout, especially at my age, but... I'm starting to realize that I can't see myself going into a true electrical engineering job (maybe that's why it's taking me so long).
    The only subjects/tasks I ever liked were ones that involved designing the outside of a product (or parts), designing presentations, putting together reports...the visual stuff.
    So a few months ago I picked up fusion 360 and I'm starting to teach myself how to design 3D objects to see where that will get me.
    Worst case scenario: I learn some new skills that I could apply to a side business I'm working on (fiber shop that also sells knitting/spinning products made from wood).
    Worst worst case scenario: I can 3D print christmas ornaments for the entire family

In any case, the need to start painting again started to bubble and I don't think continuing the basics of drawing would be a bad idea if I want to get into 3D design.

So here I am again.

I'm starting slow though and just want to focus on making it a habit to draw/paint daily (for fun (AKA: will look like crap but I don't care) so I don't burn out) for now. I'm also following an online fusion 360 course.
    Eventually I'll let it morph into more serious studies and get back on track.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 4,645 Posts
    That sort of sucks. When I got married and had kids, my art was done in knitting (hate knitting) needlepoint, cross stitch and interior decorating the house. Once I started again, even though I'd forgotten how to draw and sucked big time, it just felt right. I never realised how much I'd missed it and the side bits never filled that gap.

It's a shame the images are lost on the mindcandyman thread or I'd point you there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @blackspot... when you say side bits do you mean the knitting and decorating the house, or did you do some drawings scribbles every now and then and you mean that those little scribbles never filled the gap?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 4,645 Posts

Thanks
    I used to lurk around the forum around 2009 but I never posted my art. I've never 'quit' art but I have had my fair share of breaks and soul searching. Now I have a better understanding of what I want to do so I have returned to finally post some work.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillendandie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Hey. Dropping by to say hi. Time is going fast. I joined forum in 2005 and I'm 36 now. I work as 2d generalist in mobile game company. Still learning and doing personal art on the side.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Hey. Dropping by to say hi. Time is going fast. I joined forum in 2005 and I'm 36 now. I work as 2d generalist in mobile game company. Still learning and doing personal art on the side.
    Hi Farvus, yea older you get, faster time goes, Personal work is where you really grow, so I have heard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 685 Posts
    I joined in 2005 as a young fifteen-year-old kid just looking for inspiration for writing I was doing. Nearly 15 years later, I'll still here, offering encouragement as a non-artist and being a part of the community. My purpose for being here hasn't really changed, although I write less randomly and wildly as back then. I'm focused on producing quality short stories in the near future. DeviantArt and CA.org have been priceless for getting my creative juices flowing, and of course, witnessing the awesome and amazing community activities for all these years remind me to be aware of how important 'interpretation' is of topics, and work ethic to see them through to completion.
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah... 39 now. joined at 23... wow much has changed. I have spent the intervening time bing a concept artist/mattepainter/art director but I haven been back here in a very long time!!!
    "Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sketchling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love that this is still going. Have meant to respond but crunching at work. This thread is becoming very motivating.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Count me in! Though, you can also blame the current state of social media for drawing me back into the forum "scene."

I started to realize I was settling for "likes" and missing out on actual feedback, words of advice, encouragement, and critique.

Sadly, I only have a 1-2 friends in real life that are creatives, and we rarely get together.

I've been kind of filling that void with podcasts by illustrators, but I've also been curious what communities are available online that provide actual value

I remembered being very inspired to pick up the pencil again by Elderscroller's sketchbook thread on here ages ago.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CRITTER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey! I guess I should post something in here - But I don't think I every really left so can't say I came back!

I have been more active the past couple of years though - mostly in the community challenge threads.

I'm a serial lurker - even going back long before I joined; probably since about 2003. I was active on Epilogue, GFX and CGSociety before I joined so I was already stretched, plus CA was a pretty intimidating place back then.

I've only just passed 200 posts here in the 13 years I've been a member, but I'm actually here a lot more frequently than it seems. It tends to take me a long time to write a post because I like to be clear, and not blurt things out, so I don't post much because of the disproportionate effort. It gets a bit annoying sometimes

Anyway - I finally started a sketchbook today. It feels good to have taken the plunge after all this time, but I had a hard time talking myself into that one!

It's nice to see more older members still around - it's certainly a lot quieter than it used to be. I kind of like it though - calmer and more focused on learning. It's certainly not dead anyway whatever people say.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @mythmaker... long live CA for sure

32. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wasn't going to respond until I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post

It's a shame the images are lost on the mindcandyman thread or I'd point you there.
    mindcandyman's thread was incredibly inspiring.

I find that every few years I dust off the art supplies and get back at it for a spell, a few months here or a year there. Every time I end up back here at CA. I was going through the CHoW earlier and was shocked at how few entries were there. I remember when I was first giving those a shot there would be 20-30 highly finished polished entries. It bums me out to see how much smaller the community here has gotten when I can't think of anywhere that has done more for so many amazing artists over the years. mindcandyman being the poster child. I saw his name come up, i think it was on a schoolism video, as a teacher for a course. That was a few days ago and I shot right back over to see what was happening.

I joined in 2006 in my last half year at college, worked as a graphic designer for 6 years, and as a printer now for another 12. Just started getting into craft and art printing and it all just reminds me how much I have always wanted to improve my art chops enough to draw and paint professionally. The theme in this thread seams a bit down trodden but I have to say seeing the same struggles with so many people is something of the silver lining and glimmer of hope. Cheers CA. Keep it alive.
    "To say a work of art is good but incomphrensible to the majority of men, is the same as saying of some kind of food that it is very good but most people can't eat it." Leo Tolstoy
    Sketch Book - Old Book

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euthyphro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Still here lurking as always. Check in every now and then.
    Help support CA's future and your own art future, and help Fund

DREAMFUEL

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schnaps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh my, I didn't expect to find this thread looking back into the forum. I just turned 30 this year. All of this speaks to me on so many levels.

Experiencing the loss of a close family member last year for the first time threw me off a whole lot. I'm still battling the grief, and more than ever I want at least succeed somehow at doing what I want to do. I'm tired of sucking around and bad compromises. I want to know I'm worth it and that I can reach my goals, that it's not all for nothing.
    I just wish for a bit more support and helpful feedback. I kinda know what I have to do, but I don't always have the strength on my own to hold it up. The big social media platforms aren't just doing anything for me in that regard and just make the realize how much I miss the old forum here and how great the feedback was.
    It's great to see that there are others around with similar treasured memories of this place.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love your stuff Julia. Why are you not updating your sketchbook?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    I love your stuff Julia. Why are you not updating your sketchbook?
    I've made myself a new one to be back with updates, preferring a fresh start over the old mostly broken thread. But I get an error every time I try to update my signature to reflect that fact. So maybe you just haven't seen it yet? Thank you for interest though, edgarej!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2