Thanks

Is photoshop required to do digital art?

I know we're in a time now where things like krita exist but most folks I know still use some semblance of photoshop. I mostly used clip studio paint for a while now but one of my main concerns is how it kinda sucks are digital painting. Mostly because there's not that many tutorials on it and i'm not sure which brush works. The best method someone suggested was to go blind and try them out. It will naturally turn out crap but at least you learned something?

but as time went on, the more and more I realized i don't just paying the sub model of PS CC.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    the software is just a tool, its an extension of your artistic ability. If you have little or no ability the tool won't help you no matter how popular it is. Most pros I know use their own custom brushes or just a round brush to work. because it isn't about the software.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't use Photoshop at all. There are pretty amazing artists who only use free image manipulation programs. It's the same as asking if you need to use oil paints to do traditional art. The program is just as much of a tool as a pencil or a brush. Don't fall into the trap of your programs using you and not the other way around...By that I mean don't get caught up in the medium you're using. Think more along the lines of how you can get something to work for you and your unique approach.

I use Paint Tool Sai, Krita, and GIMP interchangeably.