Thread: Linkle

Thanks

Arrow Linkle

Hello! First post on the forums, though I've been lurking a while. Please feel free to hit me hard with criticism! I look forward to learning from you all.

For some context, I'm aiming to become a video game illustrator. Below is a Linkle illustration, tried going for a confident looking pose.

Name:  linkle.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  92.6 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Her arms are a bit too short, neck doesn't match the head position, her right eye is bigger than her left eye, also I'd make her face a bit smaller in relation to head size. Despite my ranting, it is still very promising work, would be curious about your coloring style.

Thanks
    Nice and clean, all the basic shapes look correct. Little things here and there to improve.
    Her skirt is affected by wind, but not her hair or braids, or the cloth objects over her shoulder.
    The top of her boots are floating, they need to connect around to create the feeling of wrapping around the thigh.
    The asymmetry of her ears is a little strange
    I would add some wrinkles/folds to the knee and ankle areas of the boots
    Your line weights are all the same, this is ok during design phases, but using thicker lines in some places to signify weight, shadow, or simply to draw attention to parts of the drawing will immediately make the entire piece look more alive and dynamic; as well as conveying a more thoughtful design. Line weights can also be sued to emphasize parts, and separate elements

This is a rather neutral pose, especially the face, it looks as if it is designed to show us the elements of the costume, rather than convey a sense of confidence. Confidence will have a lot to do with the facial expression, and the intention of the pose. For example, if she were winking at the viewer, while pointing the crossbow at them- the intention of the character seems quite clear.

Whatever backstory, personality or role you have designed for the character, I suggest you think about that and do some figure drawing sketches of poses that convey confidence in a way that makes sense with your idea of the character. Once you design a pose you feel is good, then draw the costume onto it in a few variations. Once you are happy with that experiment with line weights to strengthen the character, their design elements and their intention. Quick tip, when part of the characters is further back than another part, thicken the outline on the closer portion, and thin, or even "lose" some lines into the background to give a strong sense of depth and three dimensionality.

If you get all that done, and are happy with the results, paint it up! With color, gradients and texture you can emphasize design elements and form even more.

Great stuff, keep going.

Members who have read this thread: 20