Thanks

Abstract ... really?

Name:  lowresLIVING AT THE POINT OF TEARS ~ After Camus - Acrylic  MM - 30x36 - 2018.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  125.8 KB
    I'm new here. I don't see much ( any? ) strictly abstract work here. I thought I'd post something recent from my studio to tease out a little feedback. I appreciate what Mark Rothko thought about his work and I feel much the same. He has said: "I will say without reservation that from my point of view there can be no abstractions. Any shape or area that has not the pulsating concreteness of real flesh and bones, its vulnerability to pleasure or pain is nothing at all. Any picture that does not provide the environment in which the breath of live can be drawn does not interest me. " Pretty much sums up what I'm after. Thanks for your feedback in advance ... if any !
    This is: LIVING AT THE POINT OF TEARS (After Albert Camus ) Acrylic / mixed Media on panel, 30x36 inches, 2018

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corralesartist View Post
    " Any picture that does not provide the environment in which the breath of life can be drawn does not interest me."
    Huh. Rothko had some pretty high standards for pictures, I guess.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There haven't been any good abstract artists on this forum, in my opinion. None of them has able to convince me that their work isn't just an hour or two of scribbling paint around, and making random spur-of-the-moment decisions for the sake of cheap spontaneity. Also, none of them that I've seen understand that abstraction can't and won't save their work from mediocrity.

Looking at this, 2/3 of those sentiments still hold so far. Third sentiment pending a response.

I don't mean to sound harsh, if I come across that way. Abstract art is beautiful, and I'm a little harder on people aspiring towards that because the amount of people who take it up just for a quick and easy way to seem artsy is...disheartening.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Theres a reason this place isn't called Abstractart.org

Thanks
    It doesn't really make sense to me why an abstract artist would want critique. Least of all from non-abstract artists. At best we can really only give advice on composition. At worst we just get miffed by those who want to impose meaning on chaos.

I think your image has a pleasing look to it. I don't perceive any deeper meaning from it however. Perhaps if you shared your objective and the means by which you set about trying to accomplish it, we'd be better able to offer constructive feedback.
    Sketchbook

We could be struck by lightning at any moment. What kind of universe is that?

Thanks
    There IS a Fine Arts section, so I don't necessarily agree. Abstract stuff can fall under "Fine Art" here, but what I've noticed is that most go out of their way not to post there.

Thanks
    I mean, anything can be critiqued--although you would need to be someone with at least a passing interest in abstract art. And within the entire abstract realm there is a big spectrum. I have to say I don't get much from this particular one, the colors are muddy and the angle on the added piece doesn't sit well with me, then the squiggles touch on being text but not text, but don't really have the same character across the pieces being more just squiggles in parts.

So I would not know what this work is trying to achieve really.

Thanks
    I want to thank you all for an informative critique here. My instinct was right and I learned more about this gulag than I might have if I'd asked directly. But you are late to the party actually. What you seem to do here has been done before. Here is your template.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art
    Best of luck to you all.

Thanks
    Actually, now I know why I'm so much harder on abstract artists that come here.

Literally all of them have their heads TOO far up their asses. Comparing this in any way to Nazi Germany is so beyond tasteless, and for what? Do you feel validated now? Vindicated? You are in no way persecuted for your art in 2019, when you willingly come to a forum and ask for people's honest opinions of what we're supposed to think is your work. Regardless of whether or not this is your work or a famous piece, we didn't really care for it. End of story. I'd wager most people wouldn't, but that's going into an entirely different topic regarding my thoughts on our current art period. REGARDLESS OF THAT this is a forum with a very specific set of artistic goals in mind that don't involve a lot of abstract artists. You went to a meat market looking for tofu, only to come out with snide vindication when the butcher tells you they don't have what you're looking for.

People are dead, and modern art might have almost died in a part of the world because of the Nazi party. Hope your straw-man was worth it for your self-ass pat.

Grow up, dude.
    Last edited by MattyT; 1 Week Ago at 09:03 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not *quite* on topic, but check out this goat video. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-QcWVPFxGA
    IT'S A GOAT that LICKS A DOG!! How fun is that?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    God dammit.

Thanks
    Sick job perpetuating the negative stereotype of modern day abstract artists. I can't wait for LIVING POST TEARS.
    Last edited by tenchi24; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_0825.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  29.8 KB
    I think I've just been insulted.
    Sketchbook

We could be struck by lightning at any moment. What kind of universe is that?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corralesartist View Post
    I want to thank you all for an informative critique here. My instinct was right and I learned more about this gulag than I might have if I'd asked directly. But you are late to the party actually. What you seem to do here has been done before. Here is your template.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art
    Best of luck to you all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 4,613 Posts