Thanks

Help w/ mecha maybe?

Hi, I have this WIP and you can see she is supposed to have a robotic arm, but since I struggle with mechanical/technical things, I probably need a little help. I'm open to red lines on the arm, or just some inspiration for how the metal plates could go. Kind of want to keep the rest how it is, but I'd be okay with suggestions, thanks .)

Name:  hullo.png
Views: 1031
Size:  483.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure about this one.. case in point - the 'no future' and 'globe'.. are these supposed to be 3d, or flat?

The chest anatomy seems a little weird given the lighting..

The mouth comes off a little large, but outside of that it is sort of bland.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Okay, not really what I was asking and I think everything you mentioned except the mouth is not finished/polished. She will be getting a more detailed outfit at least and the idea with the globe was to make it a hologram coming out from her palm. Will probably play around with the face anyway

Thanks
    The issue with her mouth is that her upper teeth are behind her philtrum and this gives her a sort of underbite appearance. Pull back the angle of her philtrum and connect it to her nose properly and see if that doesn't help things out.

Don't forget that her hand would also receive light from the sphere.
    Sketchbook

We could be struck by lightning at any moment. What kind of universe is that?

Thanks
    I'm not sure how someone drawing red lines for you is an inspiration on a design choice...

Thanks
    Okay, I will see about the mouth, even though it's not really what I asked about. Maybe I just don't feel like the slight underbite is a problem, but I will take a break from looking at it and maybe I will see it later. And yeah, the hand is not done at all.

Thanks
    I said I'm open to either someone just drawing random red lines on the arm and let me do the metal plates myself OR just some inspiration. And I don't mean to be rude or unpleasant but so far not much advice seems to be helpful to what I'm trying to do here:/

Thanks
    You're essentially asking someone to do the design work for you. Unless you're paying, it's highly unlikely anyone wants to do that. We all have our own projects.

Do your own red lines.
    Sketchbook

We could be struck by lightning at any moment. What kind of universe is that?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very helpful, thank you. I said twice now that I'm okay with just examples of robotic arm design. May I ask you not to be condescending and add unhelpful replies?

Thanks
    I'd give yourself more canvas space to even have the mechanical arm in the composition.
    If you're asking for terms to find references/inspiration from then look up actual prosthetic arms, robotics, historical armors, check out cyborgs/cyberpunk/scifi media on ArtStation, pinterest, etc.
    If you're having issues imagining a mechanical limb, just think of how a regular arm works.
    Visualize the core parts of an arm: bones, joints and musculature, and how those forms can be simplified into basic geometries like cylinders, boxes, spheres, etc.
    Think about how it ties into your overall character:
    Is the arm trying to be inconspicuous or obviously a prosthetic?
    Does it have artificial muscles or rely on axis of motors?
    Are these parts visible or shrouded?
    Does it blend into the rest of their form or stop at the shoulder/elbow, etc.
    Does it have extra functions that a normal arm wouldn't?

Take time and sketch up separate drawings, then apply those creations to this one.