Thanks

Assignment 1 - Eyes

For the last few months I have been randomly drawing parts of the body, so for 2019 I decided to keep to a weekly schedule to cover the face, body proportion, gesture, line weight, shadowing, perspective and eventually going into digital art.
    If anyone thinks I should re adjust my schedule please tell me. I know a week isn't enough to focus on each subject but I want to learn the basic idea so I can pull it all together and re assess in six months.
    I'm just learning through videos online, if anyone has recommendations for shadowing and line weight specifically, that would be helpful.

1st Week- Eyes. I did some shadowing but didn't focus too much on light source or line weight. I attempted to do some different shapes.
    I really struggled with eyelashes, so tip and tricks on that would be great.

Name:  eye 1.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  258.1 KB Name:  eye 2.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  146.1 KB Name:  eye 3.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  174.1 KB Name:  eye 4.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  166.3 KB Name:  eye 5.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  220.1 KB Name:  eye 6.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  241.6 KB Name:  eye 7.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  168.2 KB Name:  eye 8.jpg
Size:  183.3 KB Name:  eye 9.jpg
Size:  192.9 KB Name:  eye 10.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  175.7 KB Name:  eye 11.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  253.0 KB Name:  eye 12.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  215.4 KB Name:  superman.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  190.6 KB Name:  vegeta eyes.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  224.7 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't really get the whole drawing a single feature over and over thing. Surely drawing a whole face would be far more useful.

Thanks
    It comes more from memorizing a few features for each part instead of memorizing all of it at once.

But, do please elaborate, how did you learn to draw the face? Entirely, from forehead down?

Thanks
    Entirely, from forehead down?
    What does that even mean, I don't think I ever skipped drawing hair as well. How did I learn to draw the face? By drawing the friggin face!
    IF you don't understand the relationship between each of the features you're going to draw some wack looking heads.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anatomy is the interaction of elements, the eyes in sockets with brows would strike me as the smallest sensible unit and sometimes a subject in art.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Please show me some of your examples.

Thanks
    Hello! I like what you have here so far (maybe just resize the images a little so they fit better on the page). When I started learning art in my younger years I was obsessed with starting with drawing just eyes and a nose and a mouth. As I got older though and had some art instruction I found that the best way to learn to draw a face is by drawing the entirety of the face at once. Like, breaking down the forms and landmarks and placing them on the head. I would recommend starting with drawing skulls, even getting a small anatomical skull to practice with. Here is a link to the one I have. It's relatively cheap but the detail is FANTASTIC.... Anatomical Skull

Also, I follow an artist on deviantart that has good face tutorials (like for noses, eyes, and hair) (here is the link to their tutorials: Art of Pan) And lastly, here is a good tutorial image on the landmarks of the skull and placement of basic features (I found it on pinterest I'm not sure who the artist is):
    Name:  76f2676e9339600cd356491e9cf16812.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  65.0 KB
    Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you. Great start! I can't wait to see what else you do. ^_^
    ~Stephanie Cruz (aka Persephone Black)
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Persephone_Black For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    YES! Thank you for this post. It was concise and shared examples and ideas. Thank you for taking the time to write a well constructed post.

Second, I should have explained more in my original post. Last year I studied the Loomis method and where the features fall on the face. The more faces I created the more I realized I had not studied the features in detail. I wanted to explore them so when I return to face art as a whole I better understand how each cog turns.
    However, I did not spend much time on the skull. I will definitely purchase one and further studies on it.

This pinterest picture is a good breakdown of skull to face. This is the kind of advice I hope to receive when posting on this website.

Thank you again and yes I will make my images smaller in the next post. (Ooh and a hair tutorial, hair is very difficult for me)

Thanks
    Hello! I'm so glad it was helpful to you! Oooh, I get what you're saying now about studying the features in detail. That makes sense. Yeah, I find on a lot of art related websites people just say "oh you should do this" or they say, "omg that's so good" but none of that really helps. There's no substance to it. I like to help people out the way I would want to be helped in art. I'm still just a beginner too and I think posting resources really helps illustrate what you mean. I look forward to seeing more of your work! ^_^ If you feel like it or have the time feel free to check out my sketchbook and tell me what you think I can improve on, I'm always open for critiques! ---> My Sketchbook
    ~Stephanie Cruz (aka Persephone Black)
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram