Winter 2018
    Name:  winter.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  85.7 KB

Lighting study I did last night.
    Name:  margie.png
Views: 1047
Size:  483.7 KB

Thanks for looking! Happy New Year's Eve everyone!
    Last edited by mutalist; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:05 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  New canvas.png
Views: 662
Size:  198.7 KB

Another study I did... I showed this in an art discord and everyone said it sucked. Any critiques to help it not suck?

Thanks
    I would say that you made the pose too relaxed and pretty, that pose need to be tense and powerful with tense muscles, growling and darkness and fire in the background.

Thanks
    I really like the relaxed prettiness of it, that's what made me go to the pose in the first place. Is this just a matter of my aesthetic sense being garbage?

Edit:

I came back to this with fresh eyes and redid her mouth and nose.

Name:  small daoko.png
Views: 635
Size:  197.6 KB
    Last edited by mutalist; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:56 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  smoll jennifer.png
Views: 579
Size:  252.3 KB
    for my friend who's been in the hospital for a long time... Any critiques before I give this to her?

Thanks
    Name:  Bus small.png
Views: 534
Size:  164.9 KB

I need to work on my environments.

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20190103_113535_976.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  32.2 KB

I had to use more reference than usual on this one...

Thanks

Thanks
    Good start to your sketch book . You can do whatever you want, but I think it would be best for you to draw and paint in gray scale for now, since drawing in it makes painting much more simpler because you don't have to worry about the colors (making appealing color combinations is hard) and you'll develop much better contrast in your stuff by doing so because it will be simpler to do so. It's good that you're drawing a lot of faces and you've gotten much better since you started. If you want to get better at portraits quickly, I would focus only on portraits until you feel like it looks ok and move on to something else. I think your lighting can be improved. In your portraits, there's a lack of contrast because of the lack of highlights. Like with the girl with the phone, the light in coming from her phone to her face, so there should be light on her face to indicate that. Also in your self portrait, there is no highlight anywhere, except a small dot on the nose and on the eyes, so is your chin flat, is your philtrum just a plain dip, and do your glasses even have glass in them? Most importantly to help with lighting and observation, do some still lives. Just find any object and haul it to your room, get paper and a pencil, and draw and shade it. I'll post a video to help you with measuring without touching the object :>. I also suggest to not do this on digital yet because doing stuff digitally just adds more complexity to painting. One last thing, is your self portrait from a photo? If it is, then it would be a photo study lol, since self portrait are traditionally done from the mirror.

Video for lighting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WR-FyUQc6I

Video for measuring: The video talks about figure drawing, but it can still be applied to whatever and you'll get better after you get more experience, so don't get discouraged (same with almost everything)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDGO0LssEM

Looking forward to seeing more of your post and hope this helps < 3. Also, post your references if you are using them on here because it will be more helpful for us to critique you.
    Last edited by Zaulta; 1 Week Ago at 04:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you for the critique!! I'll go back to doing black and white stuff then. Hopefully I can pump those out and learn quickly.

Also oops my bad, I didn't know that about photostudy vs self portrait. My glasses do have anti-glare stuff so there's like no highlights in them though. Should I just put in highlights anyways? And also from my own observations and from studying life I don't actually see that many highlights. I see lighter values, but rarely highlights. Did you mean lighter values or is there something wrong with my observations?

But yeah, i do have a very flat chin... And a flat philtrum... and anti-glare glasses... And a flat face in general-- Im an ugly asian mutt idk what to tell you man ;__;
    Last edited by mutalist; 1 Week Ago at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  mraley.png
Views: 216
Size:  125.3 KB
    school starting again, this was our first assn.

Thanks
    Sorry for the very late reply lol. No excuses except that I'm lazy. I would say that's a very nice doggy < 3. You can see the forms and shape of the dog, but for now on try to apply the use of form to your other paintings also. There are also highlights on the dog, which are on the fur, and those aren't just highlights. Like with your portrait, the form of your face looks very flat and it's not because you're Asian or a Minecraft guy </ 3. What I mean by form is that you can tell the shape of the object that is painted. That's why people like painting spheres a lot and also drawing lines on spheres, to practice form (to show that the sphere isn't a flat thing). With your anti-glare glasses, if it doesn't show any sort of reflection on the glass, then try to make the rims of the glasses look 3D and not 2D, unless your glasses are paper oof. Even if it's anti glare, by having you're glasses look 3D instead of wavy lines going back and forth, it can still make the illusion that glass is still there, but anti glare.

An example of form from notes I did today: not great though, if you have any more questions about this I'll do my best to answer them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	2309530