Thanks

Short story illustration

Hey! Any major issues with this one here? As regards the light, the painting of the demon is supposed to emit light of its own. Thanks for any tips to improve it! Name:  ilustracja 2.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  82.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 4,613 Posts
    He doesn't look like he's emitting any light as the light is behind him. Even the star on his head doesn't emit any as it doesn't affect anything around it. I think you need a major rethink about this.

Does he have an empty stomach?

Thanks
    Probably I explained it in a wrong way. The demon itself isn't supposed to emit light. It should be coming from the background and enlightening the surroundings since the room is in the dark. And yes, the stomach is hollow.

Thanks
    Figure out where is light is coming from as it would be silhouette if it was coming from behind of main subject https://www.google.fi/search?q=backl...=1920&bih=1058

Thanks
    OK. The twist of the story is as follows: The picture of the demon is painted with paint which is somehow fluorescent. It emits reather stong light. That's why they are looking at it in a completely dark room and they are only silhouettes. The demon himself has however his own sourse of light which comes from the front, a little to the left.

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like it, the demon is alittle odd but the people in the foreground Is great

Thanks
    You know what they say about demons with big hands....

They wear big gloves.

Thanks
    Yeah, honestly the demon and the folks in the foreground don't even look like they were drawn by the same person. I'm not saying that's the case. Just that the weird anatomy errors in the demon aren't also shown in the two figures.

Guy on the Left: "IT'S ALIVE!"

Guy on the Right: "Well, son of a gun, would you look at that."

Thanks
    Looks a lot like the jacket Christopher lee is wearing in the Wicker man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Yeah, honestly the demon and the folks in the foreground don't even look like they were drawn by the same person. I'm not saying that's the case. Just that the weird anatomy errors in the demon aren't also shown in the two figures.
    That's somewhat a happy accident since the shortstory I need this illustration for is about a painter (the guy on the right) who is teaching a younger painter (the guy on the left). In the scene the master is presenting his student a painting of a demon. Question: Does the statement "weird anatomy errors" refer to obviously too big hands, strange ribcage and hollow stomach, or to mistakes that weren't done on purpose, which I cannot see. ( I don't say that there aren't any of those).

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    I think he means the foreground characters look like painted over photos compared to the guy on the cross, even the rendering on the demon looks far more amateurish. Maybe you're just really good at the backs of characters, I don't know. I don't get how the story is an answer to that though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment! Any specific tips on how to make the rendering on the demon more professional?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoreaper View Post
    Thanks for the comment! Any specific tips on how to make the rendering on the demon more professional?
    It's not just a matter of the rendering. The figure is rendered in an entirely flat manner, with lighting and shadow that don't reflect the frame of a three-dimensional form. Alongside that, right now the lightsource appears to be positioned behind it whilst still lighting the figure as if it was positioned directly in front.

I'd recommend reviewing the anatomy and lighting of the central figure, as it doesn't mesh with the two in the foreground at all currently. There are many paintings of the crucifixion that can provide some helpful information on how the body would behave in such a pose, and it might be helpful in giving the central figure a proper sense of form. Shadows and highlights help in this effort, but they are currently fighting the shapes we're seeing and the way the foreground figures are lit.

Thanks
    Yep, it seems I have a hard time figuring the lighting out. I wanted to have this strong light from the back, but also I don't want to make the central figure just a silhouette so I introduced the front light. Adding value mistakes to that and I've got what I've got... Hmm...

Thanks
    Hi again. I changed the design a little bit and rendered it more. Probably I didn't fix its major flaws but here it is:
    Name:  Sztuka Gordiana del Monte mały.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  107.3 KB

Thanks
    It just seems so.. cliche, but maybe it's just Friday.

Side note - for a decaying body/one ripped open to put in a mini Staff of Asclepius.. you would think there would be more blood, grit, grim, and damage. I mean those new boobs are just doing what ever while two inches below is shredded.

The hairy pits are a nice touch, but those handeds are about four sizes too big.

The lighting is still off.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment! Well, it seems my skill is not big enough to figure out the lighting. It would be great if you could give me some more specific tips on how to work on it? Something like "this part is to light/dark compared to that part" would also be helpful. Or basically any other piece of advice on the lighting. Thanks in advance!