Thanks

Landscape with hot air balloons

Hi to everyone, this digital sketch is about two hot air balloons flying over planted fields, the proportions of the houses below the air balloons is something that changed after check them with perspective grids. Besides that, I would like to know your critiques about this composition, thanks!

Name:  boceto_011_CA.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  99.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Why are the roads so dangerous? Who would have a farm up against a cliff? Also why is there a little island with the most inefficient lighthouse in the world. The light should be able to be seen by oncoming boats but there is a massive rock in front of where the lighthouse should be beaming. Otherwise with some perspective issues, it's quite nice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would try to give the fields in the front a bit more texture (the left two), but maybe thats because it's just a sketch.

Composition wise I like the division between the landmass and the sea going through the painting. The rock with the lighthouse seems to be a focal point.
    I think the division being a bit less straight in the distance, and giving it more curves would make it look even better.

Maybe the front could have a mountain chain, to indicate the height better from that whe're looking, but that could be just my taste.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just intuitively that horizon doesn't feel right to me given the vanishing point of the land. I also agree that the logic of the scene is questionable. I would move the road back from where erosion might destroy it at any moment. I guess I am wondering what the goal is here. Realistic, fanasty, conceptual?

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments, here is the correction with the perspective grid, I place the vanishing point inside the canvas to paint better some squares, also I moved the road from the edge of the cliff and added some textures to the ground, the big rock of the lighthouse was removed, here are the changes. I want this painting looks realistic

Views: 727
Size:  138.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I think it looks definitely better now

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like this development. It does strike me that roads goes where people want to go, so having one around each field seems odd. They would only go to the cliff if people go there like to a lovers grove or where there is a place to fish or go down to the water. That is the kind of thing is what makes a landscape seem real, even if the observer does not consciously think about it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    The shadows on the building are not consistent. Also the balloons, when you decide the correct light direction, should cast a shadow somewhere on the land.

I would indicate some bushes along part of the road. One - fields have them to stop soil erosion. Two - it'll hide any perspective defects of the road, which currently seems to be getting wider the further you go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, this help me to pay more attention to some obvious details like the shadows of the hot air balloons on the ground and also the trees for avoid the erosion, also some values at the lighthouse and background changed because of the atmospheric light.

Views: 575
Size:  104.1 KB