Thanks

Niiah Sketchbook - My Journey To Mastery!

Hey Everyone! Looking foward for any advice or criticism that anyone has to offer!
    I'm going to be posting most of my studies here, so any input would be really appreciated!
    Main goal of this sketchbook is to push me out of my confort zone with the criticism! so yeah, anything really is of great help!
    My Main Personal goal is to make a living out of art!

Thanks for passing by! Hope you have an awesome day! lets keep improving mate! haha
    The following image is a Master Study!
    Cheers!
    Name:  背中の女の子.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  63.2 KB
    Last edited by Niiah; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:15 PM. Reason: Sentence modification

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here are some of the recent studies that i did!
    Some still life paintings
    Name:  完成品 Still Life 1.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  191.7 KBName:  Still Life 18.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  205.3 KBName:  完成品 Still Life 6.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  256.3 KBName:  完成品 Still Life 10.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  174.9 KBName:  Still Life 19.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  145.5 KBName:  完成品 Still Life 3.jpg
Size:  272.2 KBName:  Still Life 27.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  156.7 KB
    From here on are a few faces from Photo Reference, took around 30min to 1h each
    Name:  Ashiz.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  148.9 KBName:  Archer.jpg
Size:  173.2 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 1.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  255.6 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 14.jpg
Size:  310.8 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 6.jpg
Size:  187.3 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 16.jpg
Size:  258.8 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 5.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  302.7 KBName:  4545.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  179.0 KBName:  背中.jpg
Size:  363.0 KB
    Here are some drawings from imagination without reference
    Name:  戦争開始.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  178.9 KBName:  夕焼け.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  276.5 KBName:  林檎.jpg
Size:  79.4 KBName:  30.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  314.9 KBName:  32.jpg
Size:  194.5 KBName:  33.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  420.2 KBName:  31.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  335.1 KB

Thanks
    welcome! would love to see more

Thanks

Studiies From Today!

The studies from today! the first four was about 30 min each, the last two took a little more than 40min, was already pretty tired so kinda slowed down the pace.
    Really enjoyed painting the one with the window reflecting her face! even spended a little more time on it hahah, the reflection gives a different vibe to it, pretty cool stuff!

Thanks for visiting! Have a great day!
    Name:  af74055bc263738360b9e7a7879dd06c.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  55.9 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 17.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  220.6 KB
    Name:  d9c7170703422bfb5964d574d259c97c.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  57.0 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 18.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  251.0 KB
    Name:  db933264dde3f8e7a6c3d829dc92a1cf.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  200.7 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 19.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  163.3 KB
    Name:  dc39dd020e32b34589f2c56272674443.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  279.8 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 20.jpg
Size:  126.9 KBName:  tumblr_o1ijt4CnIC1soeac8o1_1280.jpg
Size:  143.0 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 21.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  363.1 KBName:  tumblr_ok8gveb2Rb1soeac8o1_1280.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  468.3 KBName:  Quick Block In Face 22.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  290.0 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Niiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Man! Thanks!
    i had just posted some more, i think it was been accepted by the admin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Niiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No problem Great start, I see you love painting and it shows, but I did notice some proportion and structural problems in your works, so you might want to try to try some exercises that would help to alleviate that. I'd say focusing more on actual drawing than painting would help. Get that mileage in. Work on some analytical type drawing that focuses on depicting form and try to do some value studies if you must paint so you're not as distracted by color and can just focus on tones and edges. ctrl paint has some great exercises for blend control.

here is an example of what i mean by structural problems. just some quick things to point out, but generally speaking, you lose sense of form. you've flattened out the face which is a very strong tendency most of us face when we're first painting. notice that the references head is tilted to the right while yours is seemingly facing us. you've made the nose much smaller in width as well. the eyes have no eyelids, nor feel that spherical in nature (in large part because of the eyelids). the neck is too wide and doesn't depict the column of the trachea. spend more effort at the beginning, measuring more accurately to train your observational skills, or diving things into shapes so you can train your ability to see in masses. the colors you use are also too saturated at times. spend some time looking up color theory videos and find out why this is a bad thing. for painting you need to depict planes and edges better. the clothes and hair violate the forms underneath by not adhering to the surfaces underneath.
    Name:  critique_12_25.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  142.7 KB

try to ingrain cross contours into your regular sketching habits. it'll help immensely.
    Name:  cross-contours.png
Views: 815
Size:  297.8 KB
    Last edited by DESQUOLOR; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Desquolor! Thanks for commenting man! i do need to work on the proportions tho, but right now i'm focusing on getting the feel for light/shadow and color, i'm purposively starting without a drawing and going straight to the paint and then getting the masses of paint in, also i limited those faces to 30m each to make me get a feel for the whole image instead of getting bugged down on details.
    i'm trying to get better at the saturation level too! haha good one man, i'm not good with faces that use almost no saturation, the girl with blue eyes was hard ;/
    i'm definitly going to reserve some days to just drawing tho! and going to start using contours as well! gives a really nice 3dimensional vibe to it! Pretty fun stuff!
    Thanks man!

Thanks

Studies from today!

Did some Master Studys of faces and bodys trying to understand better color and values, and the last one is a Painting from imagination!

Thanks for Visiting! Have a nice day!

Name:  76.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  124.6 KBName:  Master Study 27.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  244.9 KB
    Name:  304.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  190.4 KBName:  Master Study 28.jpg
Size:  146.7 KB
    Name:  624.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  56.9 KBName:  Master Study 29.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  223.0 KB
    Name:  590.jpg
Size:  310.6 KBName:  Master Study 30.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  197.4 KB

And this one is from imagination!

Name:  34.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  148.5 KB

Thanks

Studiies From Today

Some of the studies from today! Really getting into paintings that use most low values! pretty neat stuff!
    The first girl looks to be painted so simple, but it is pretty detailed, at least the face, her look is pretty penetrating! wanted to get that look, kinda got it but need to get better, learned a lot from her!
    Does anybody know the artist from the second painting the warrior? Really want to look more of his stuff but don't know who it is! ;/
    The light going through the third painting clothes was pretty fun to paint too, going to try in one of mine!
    Thanks for looking! Have a great day yah!

Name:  506.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  476.3 KBName:  Master Study 31.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  334.5 KB
    Name:  449.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  350.3 KBName:  Master Study 32.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  845.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  351.6 KBName:  Master Study 33.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  237.7 KB

Thanks
    I think your main problem is values, do some value studies, consider the light source when studying
    in the last image where a face is in complete shadow, it will still catch light from the environment, so as you go down it will become darker, so the bottom plane of the nose will be darker

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my Sketchbook! Amazing sketchbook you've just started yourself! Super promising already! I'm amazed at some of your rendering but it does look like you are more in control the fewer details there are. Don't be daunted and just work at your studies in stages. Try and start zoomed out all the way if you don't already. Then zoom in little by little so you're not tempted to work the details in too early. Looking forward to seeing your evolution!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vodka0021 View Post
    I think your main problem is values, do some value studies, consider the light source when studying
    in the last image where a face is in complete shadow, it will still catch light from the environment, so as you go down it will become darker, so the bottom plane of the nose will be darker
    Hey Vodka! thanks for commenting! definitly doing some value studys soon man! going to put more awareness on value too! thanks man!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiapar View Post
    Thanks for stopping by my Sketchbook! Amazing sketchbook you've just started yourself! Super promising already! I'm amazed at some of your rendering but it does look like you are more in control the fewer details there are. Don't be daunted and just work at your studies in stages. Try and start zoomed out all the way if you don't already. Then zoom in little by little so you're not tempted to work the details in too early. Looking forward to seeing your evolution!
    Hey Tiapar ! Thanks for the tip! going to be starting open farther away to not get to details too soon! Thanks!

Thanks

Studiies From Today

Pretty tired today, to the degree of not going to paint, but got some paintings in

Name:  Ettore Tito - Con la Rosa tra le Labbra.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  139.6 KBName:  Master Study 34.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  95.6 KB
    Name:  Jacques-Louis David - Patroclus - 1780.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  113.3 KBName:  Master Study 35.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  366.0 KB
    Name:  Leon Jan Wyczolkowski - Self-Portrait in Chinese Robe - 1911 copy.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  91.4 KBName:  Master Study 36.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  448.5 KB

Thanks

Studiies From Today

Hey There! did some practice from imagination today, some resistance to start, but it turned out alright! hah
    wanted to practice some different type of light on the first one
    the second one i started with the intend to paint what the third one is looking like, but just when i started i kinda saw a face on it and started painting it!
    so i just continued exploring what it could turn into
    and the third one i think you can guess who it is haha
    Thanks for visiting! Have a great day!

Name:  35.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  236.3 KB
    Name:  36.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  188.7 KB
    Name:  37.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  227.6 KB

Thanks
    Heya, cool seeing some master studies being done. It's an amazing exercise. Not only will you practice how someone paints, but you will also dive into another artists way of idealizing and their personal aesthetic. It's fun! You're mostly picking the right hues, but you tend to make them way too saturated. Most people tend to not saturate it enough, and I find it going too saturated and then desaturate as you need is easier than the other way around. I would also pay more attention to the underlying drawing, getting the likeness better. Sometimes they tend to look a little bit wonky, the ear of that girl with the rose in her mouth is especially low. Another thing I think you can pay more attention to is that there's too much contrast. Specular highlights is one thing that I believe you're overdoing. If you look at the masters paintings, very few of them have that really bright little point of specular highlight. In the french woman with feathery outfit, the highlight in the eye is too much, and generally the jump in values from light halftone to dark halftone in the skin is too high. The values in the master copy is much more contained and subtle if that makes sense. Something practiced at ateliers a lot is the concept of squinting (and elsewhere I suppose, but I never heard it before attending one). Simply squint with your eyes, that way a lot of detail gets fuzzy and disappear and is no longer distracting and you'll have an easier time judging the values.

For your imagination work, that girl with red scarf and blue shirt with the light from top down, the lighting situation is very similar to the master painting of that old man, so there's a golden opportunity for you to apply what you learned in that one. Clearer shadow shapes around the eye would be one of the things i'd change. I would also remove that inner corner highlight you have going on, as well as darken the white parts of the eye and perhaps darken the specular, if not removing it entirely or having it at the bottom of the iris instead of the top. She would get some bounce light from the surface she's supporting herself on, again, don't overdo it. Bouncelight is usually very overrated, as you can barely see any in that old man portrait and it's something everyone overdoes.

I hope you don't mind the long critique, keep doing master copies and imagination pieces and apply what you learn.

Thanks
    Uiriamu: Heya! i'm for sure overusing the highlights and saturation man, need to put a break on it, its just that,, , i need tha coloooor you know hahah, going to focus more on that! Thanks for pointing that out! i already knew about the squinting techinique, but i didn't used at all, gonna start applying it!
    I for sure do not mind the long critique at all! Really appreaciate you taking the time to write it man! Thank you!
    Every little critique is appreciated! I Really want it to improve!

Thanks

Studiies From Today

Going to start to practice Environments for awhile, first time really practicing them so bear with me ahah ;/
    i'm practicing from photos, the first one did it yesterday! the rest is from today.
    i kinda started to get the hang of it at the third one, there's some things that you paint that really gives the environmet that "solid" vibe and its easy to paint, for example paper.
    Need to learn better techiniques and tricks to paint backgrounds, if anyone has any advice on doing them or knows about a cool video that could learn from it i appreciate!
    Using the polygonal lasso tool is also a great help, and starting from the things that are behind first and them painting the things that are in the front is pretty handy too!
    Thanks for visiting my Sketchbook! Happy New Years! and Have a great Day! or should i say year?! hahah

Name:  Landscape 1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  208.6 KB
    Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  306.9 KB
    Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 3.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  230.4 KB
    Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 4.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  120.7 KB

Thanks
    I like how you do highlights. It's unusual and looks great.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyhugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhugger View Post
    I like how you do highlights. It's unusual and looks great.
    Heya Bunnyhugger! Thanks for the comment man! I was needing such comment tho! You Rock ! hahah
    going to look around to maintaining that unusual look and improving at the same time man!
    Appreciate! Have a Nice day dude!

Thanks

Studiies From Today

More Background practice and made a sketch today! kinda of random, had lots of fun doing the clouds! Clouds are just,,, awesome!

Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 5.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  357.8 KB
    Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 6.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  231.7 KB
    Name:  Landscapes-Cityscapes 7.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  201.5 KB
    Name:  39.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  215.5 KB