Thanks

Is this software any good?

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum for this, but I don't see any general software thread, so sorry in advance if it just slipped past me.

I came across a video from Istebrak about a sale on his(I assume) program called PortraitStudio - https://istebrak.com/store/portraitstudio Looks like its basically a virtual studio for setting up basic light/pose reference and such it seems like a pretty usefull tool. The problem is I can't seem to find any reviews or opinions on it, so my question is, does anyone hare has any experience with this one and if so, does it work properly and produce acurate lighting representations?

And in before anyone asks, yes, you could just learn blender or some other 3d software and use that, but this could work as just a convenience shortcut in place looking for the exact photo references I need or trying to come up with my own. I don't really have spare time to try and figure out 3d for now, and the price isnt too bad at 35 pounds.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 1,046 Posts
    I have no experience with the software, it looks useful, but it is a lot better and cheaper to work from life and/or shoot your own references...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, but I have pretty limited space(and really crappy natural light) and only myself as a potential model/photographer.

The biggest advantage I see in this software is time saving, its faster to spend 15 mins fiddling with the program than trying to set up a room/light just right and even looking for references online its ussualy the correct lighting and perspective that are the most challenging to find. My main concern is how well it emulates the real thing, I wouldn't want to burn incorect interactions/habits into my head.

Thanks
    Looks boss to me.

You could do the same illustration setups with other software, but the uncluttered interface makes this look like it would be a useful tool for those who don't do 3D.

I might grab it while it's on sale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Checkerknight For This Useful Post:

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anatomy360 sells 3dscan with adjustable lighting ( fake lighting but good enough ) that requires no 3d knowledge. Cheaper , less features and model but it may be something you prefer.

Also learning blender is pretty good. it's free, take a week or 2 only to learn if you just wanna do some basic modeling/sculpting and setting up the lighting for reference and not getting too deep into the headache parts. You can get free model from sites like Sketchfab or importing from Daz3D free libraries. If you can throw free stuffs into a scene , modify them a bit , it will help not only in workflow but also learning
    Last edited by Puruishi; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:41 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Puruishi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Checkerknight - That's why it cought my attention, it looks like a nice a quick way to get a basic setup for painting.

Benedikt - Well yeah... that's why I wrote about that the original post as I said, I know I can use Blender but I just don't have the time now to learn how to use it properly. Eventually I definitely plan on getting into 3d but I want to get at least half decent at 2d before that.

Puruishi - Thanks I looked it up, but one issue I see is that it seems to only have predefined poses, while in PortraitStudio you can manipulate the mannequins freely and I dont really mind paying few extra quid for more feature/steamline/quallity.

Yeah, as I mentioned above I plan on learning 3d, but want to focus on one thing at a time for now. Plus I imagine setting up a simmillar scene in blender would still take more time than in these programs that are focused on this one specific funcion and for just simple lighting/pose references speed is more important I feel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GetsugaDante View Post
    Yeah, as I mentioned above I plan on learning 3d, but want to focus on one thing at a time for now. Plus I imagine setting up a simmillar scene in blender would still take more time than in these programs that are focused on this one specific funcion and for just simple lighting/pose references speed is more important I feel.
    You've just convinced yourself to make a purchase so do it while the promotion last. That's pretty much the point of those software anyway, something accessible that get a task done quick without having to learn anything.

As for Blender , I think you're just intimidated by 3D. I was the same until my coworker started teaching me basic Maya modeling/rendering and I could get basic tasks done and incorporated it into the workflow after a few weeks of praticing a few hours a day. It just boils down to getting your hand on a comprehensive basic tutorials series

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    after a few weeks of praticing a few hours a day.
    That's exactly my point, I don't have that kind of time right now. Also once again, I feel like even if I got to the grips with blender setting up a simple scene for a basic lighting reference would still take more time than in this program.

I don't care that this is a sale, now its actually at a reasonable price. I would never consider it at full one just because its too much for such a simple tool and also once again... I'm not saying this is some kind of a replacement for a full on 3d software, it just seems like a decent temporary shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    get a task done quick without having to learn anything.
    Well I would learn better values and lighting for my paintings, given it actually comes up with acurate symulations of lighting wich was the whole point of this thread...

Thanks
    I've used an older version. It used a lot of processing power for a fairly simple program, and now I know they've added a lot to it. My computer isn't very old at all. But they might have optimized its performance since then as well.

As for realism, it's a good simulation of how light interacts. you can have several light sources of different colors and can control how shiny the surface is. But still, since you say your goal with it is to "learn better values and lighting", why would you practice rendering form filtered through this program, when you have the real thing all around you? Just some food for thought.

Whatever you decide, don't forget to look at real light hitting real objects.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, I have a pretty crappy card (gtx 960) but a solid processor (i7 6700K) so hopefully its enough for basic a 3d program and from what I see its still worked on regurarly. One thing that worries me is that I found out it saves the majority of its files on the system drive and there seems to be no way to change it, I'll have to look more into that.

No, its not my goal to use this for study references just quick cheat sheets for basic lighting for original pieces instead of spending hours looking for "more or less what I need" references. What I meant tho is that if it simulates the lighting in an accurate way I can catch few things here and there along the way and just by recreating it, I'll still stick to traditional references for practice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    There's also Terawell's DesignDoll You can add boxes etc for buildings. It's very flexible, but on the free version you can't save your work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Black Spot - Hey thanks, I looked it up but it seems to only include posing, no lighting and also rather stylized manequins wich is not quite what I'm looking for.