Thanks

To fix habits & to work at a game company

Critique and some really helpful advice would be awesome, my main skill in the art is portraits, but I wish to branch off doing full body illustrations/concepts. I am greatly inspired by Sakimi chans way of composition as well as WOLP and many others (Svetlana Tigai, Daniel Kamarudin, Abigail Diaz and much more). I would LOVE to work for a game company perhaps as a character concept artist or something in the artistic field of the game industry. (Blizzard, Rockstar, Bethesda) but I do want to aim for character artist first before going onto different genres of art.

Id like some advice from anyone who could help me in this predicament on suggesting me books/artists/forums/websites that could help me in any way! in either composition, backgrounds, colour theory, portfolio making, poses, anatomy (digital/traditional techniques in painting/drawing)

It would be amazing if anyone who worked for a game company that has done this type of stuff could tell me what game companies are looking for in portfolios like if I should include fanart or should they all be all full body illustrations and what are the main programs I should know/learn! (i currently use photoshop) whatever you can tell me will be greatly appreciated!!!

so id like help on what I could do to get in the habit of doing full body illustrations and what to do to improve my art right now.

Here are some of my favourite portraits and some attempts at doing full/quarter bodywork.
    Please critique my work if you would like and don't hold back!

Name:  wow.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  163.6 KBName:  wow2.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  390.4 KB

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help!
    At this point, id do anything just to get there so even if it means learning 5 new programs and read 100 books id happily do it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Lots of questions in there, here's an answer to one of them: look at the average quality of the work displayed on artstation.com. That's roughly where you should be to get hired in the entertainment industry. It is possible to get paid work if you're not as good, but it won't be well paid (small indie studios etc.).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice! i will definetly take a good look and do some research there!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Learn anatomy from construction techniques, these people are good for that, Loomis, Hampton, Proko, Huston, Vilppu. Go to life drawing classes construction techniques need to be offset with observation drawing from life. The life drawing is to help with color and lighting it takes a lot of observation to be able to recreate believable lighting situations from imagination. Same goes for proper coloring.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes foundations are important but remember concept art is not about pretty pictures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRo...Vf5ta5D07peiVx

Thanks
    Thank you for the comment and the video link! will be sure to watch.

Thanks
    Here's a community with actual professionals : https://discord.gg/t8Ucff

Thanks
    Thank you! i will join this discord and take a look~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    Here's a community with actual professionals : https://discord.gg/t8Ucff
    So I guess that means you aren't on there?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    So I guess that means you aren't on there?
    How many times are we gonna give advices to somebody that has post count less than 5 , know nothing about the creditability of the people they ask the questions to . How many times are we going to answer the same damn questions again and again ignoring the fact that it varies accross places.

I feel everyone is better off not hanging around art discussion trying to be an expert every 2 topics. Plus, I gave a link, just like OP asked

Thanks
    How many times are we gonna give advices to somebody that has post count less than 5 , know nothing about the creditability of the people they ask the questions to . How many times are we going to answer the same damn questions again and again ignoring the fact that it varies accross places.

I feel everyone is better off not hanging around art discussion trying to be an expert every 2 topics. Plus, I gave a link, just like OP asked
    There is no search anymore on this forum, but we shouldn't ignore people who just joined but link to similar thread should be posted if you know one You can use google search if you put site:conceptart.org insert search word. it searches from this site

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As long as people are respectful and ask sincere questions I don't mind answering them to the best of my ability for the rest of my life. My teachers told me if I was lucky enough to make my living from my art (which I have been) I needed to pay it back to other people who were trying to make it in the art world. Everyone stands on the shoulders of those who went before them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: