Thread: Destroy Bad Art

Thanks

Destroy Bad Art

I have painted this really bad art, and it needs to be destroyed, but I would like for someone to pay me for destroying it. I think maybe a million dollars would be appropriate. This art that I have painted is really ugly, boring, without value of any kind, you know, like a lot of the art that is auctioned off for millions at these high-class art auction houses, art that I call "Landfill Art", because, in fifty years that is where it will be, no one would want to wrap fish in it. So I figure I would be doing the world a favor by destroying my useless art. So if all this really horrible art can sell for millions, I think it wouldn't hurt for someone to pay me a million for getting rid of my really really bad art. Sounds like a good deal. Anyone want to contribute?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    You need to sell the idea better. How about, the idea that in destroying your art you are making the world a more beautiful place. Now it would help if your art was made of materials that could be recycled or composted. You could generate even further interest by asking for bad art from other people and make it a huge gesture. Money wise, you will have had to be able to bullshit people to pay you for nothing previously.

Thanks
    If that's supposed to critizise how art auctions work, it's hypocritical once you ask for huge amounts of money to destroy your work. Not that you said, it was ment to critique, but I don't think anyone will want to support something they don't believe into = that doesn't contribute any real values to society.

Thanks
    Sure.. if you want me to astroturf your bidding war wire me the seed money. I'll keep a hundred bucks, and use the other 49,900 to start bidding up the auction.. making it hot and you will certainly recoup your loss. You can trust me. I am a nigerian princess.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drad View Post
    because, in fifty years that is where it will be, no one would want to wrap fish in it.
    You're more optimistic than I.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    You're more optimistic than I.
    Yeah, how do you know there will still be fish left in the sea at that point?

Thanks
    Thanks, everybody, I, of course, was only kidding about being paid a million for destroying my bad art (which I don't have any!), but I was not kidding about the bad art that sells for millions. But somewhere in all this is a lesson to be learned. I can paint beautiful scenery all day long and hardly sell a thing. So what does it take to sell a painting for a million? 1. Must grab their attention. 2. The painting must "speak" to them. 3. Perhaps cause a certain amount of shock. 4. When buying this it can not be duplicated. 5. Something really different. Does anyone want to add to this?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    Art has to talk to the viewer so they want to buy it. Plus you need to get out there and sell. You can't expect a million from the start as you have to build up collectors of your art. A lot of it is down to chance, being in the right place at the right time, so the more you show, the better the chances.

Thanks
    You can always join the mafia, who use art auctions for money laundering.

Thanks
    Well, no. It's mostly about your name in the contemporary art world, not what the picture looks like. But to be fair, this is the case for old paintings as well. A Rembrandt is worth more than a picture that's just as good by somebody else.

Of course Rembrandt is famous for making beautiful work. Why do some contemporary artists prevail over others? I don't really know. But like you said, maybe in 50 years tastes will change. But maybe they won't. I think most contemporary art pieces are pretentious and boring, and I don't care for it. But if other people like doing it and it sells, so be it.

Thanks
    Drad, being negative isn't going to help you at all. Trust me. If you're going to destroy your own work, it better be because you made one ten thousand times more magnificent than the original. Even then I wouldn't recommend it. Also, don't let greed get in the way of your improvement and finding those who appreciate your work. I know you're joking, but still...

I had a good portfolio of 3d work a couple of years ago ready for submitting. The day after I had completed everything and came home from two job interviews I watched in shock as a jealous family member smashed up my laptop and tore down all my traditional drawings/studies. The best day in my life was turned into my worst nightmare.

Being able to look back and see your improvement is one of the most rewarding things. Don't worry so much about competition. Network with the like minded as much as you can.
    -- Draw stuff, post it, critique it. Ad infinitum. --
    - Where's my kneadable eraser damn it! -