Thread: Dryad

Thanks

Dryad

I'm quite pleased how this is turning out so far, which is usually an indication that there is something wrong with it.
    Go nuts, tear it apart.

Name:  tree3.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  229.2 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not a large fan of it.. First the grub-white body seems odd for a 'nymph of the forest'.

Then there's the body on those legs. There is just too much mass above, and way in front of, those peg legs.

I am having a hard time peg the scale.. Like I see a human size body, but the branches of the tree look huge in comparison.. so not really sure what's up with that.

I am also not certain where the light source is coming from..

The knight armor handing on the bead rope just looks pasted on and lacking the rest of the detail.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think it's kind of cool. But my issues with the image are less on the technical side and more on the story telling side. So I'll list my current issues with the image in that regard.

The arrows in her leg look enormous when compared to the knight. How big a bow would he have to use to fire those things?
    What is going on with the knight? Why is he just hanging there? IS he hanging from his chainmail or what? Why not have him being wrapped up by branches and vines?
    The knight is in full armor yet is being lifted effortlessly by the dryad. Which doesn't really make sense as her limbs look very narrow. She's got these fragile needlepoint legs yet she's lifting a fully armored man with ease? Add some sense of struggle and weight to that arm. You could also maybe add extra legs or something to give her some support there, I dunno.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well I was sort of thinking about a "hanging tree" that many people have died on, has been tainted by so much death, and as dryads are so linked to the forest has been warped along with it. Hence pale skin, spidery legs and gnarled branches. (That's an unfinished noose, not beads though)

I agree about scale problems, will have a go at that. Not sure what to do about the legs / feet, unless just make what's there thicker? Not sure about the knight weighing her down, it might spoil the diagonal composition I have going on. What about several smaller figures populating the branches?

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    You're wasting way too much time making unrealistic looking value transitions for each and every body part (you don't even need that for realism and believability), instead of focusing on how the entire figure would be affected by light sources, from itself and whatever surroundings that could help connecting it to the background. Add some more shadows in general, this is way too brightly lit for such a scene, maybe dimming light even works with your soft edges. Also think about your use of colors. Ambient light, reflective light, all can be much more interesting with the right choice of colors. Maybe get inspired - something like this for example (color wise) -
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DxvGJR

Proportions are looking off, mainly because the way you draw your lines reflects your way of thinking, which doesn't compliment the actual form of a body, rather than the curves and simplified forms you 'think' are there, but aren't.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For me I quite like the rendering. It's not realistic, but it's like some studio lighting focusing on the subject of the image, not the overall scene. But - whatever. I do think the legs look good. But they look good for something that should be agile and maneuverable. Which plays against the "hanging tree" idea. Which seems like a much slower more stationary beast.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, starting to digest suggestions. Getting better or worse?

Removed scale confusions for the moment, made leaves bigger to match those on the body.

Name:  tree3edit1 copy.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  149.9 KBName:  tree3edit1 copy2.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  150.1 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Still tweaking.

Name:  tree3edit1.jpg