Thanks

poster design and it's hidden rules (swiss design)

Hey to everybody, currently working on a poster design and I know it's not the graphic design section, but maybe some of you guys could give me some constructive critique. As far as I understand design principles they could be applied to all kind of visual communication and hope to get some feedback on construction, contrasts, layout etc from you. thx
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    the Ink

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The whole point of lorem ipsum is that it's jibberish. But it's jibberish that looks like real text, so there is a lot of letter and word variation. If you just use it to say lorem ipsum over and over again it defeats the point. That is of course, besides the point. I think that what you've done is quite effective, I like it. I would say though I don't really like the way the colours intercept and would prefer if there wasn't an overlay effect. Because I think the green that it creates is too distracting towards the overall image. But that's just me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think it looks cool! I like the colors, seems kind of retro. I agree about the green though. I don't think you can just add a new color for one little tiny square unless it's really important. Whether this is a good design or not depends quite a bit on what the poster will eventually be for.

Like, if it's a poster advertising some kind of event, you only have one area that fits about 5 words of supporting text. But for some things, less text might be better. Still, think about it. If you are taking up about half the space with the blue/black building design at the bottom, there has to be a reason, otherwise you've wasted space.

On the bottom half: I see you're going for a kind of abstract building with perspective. This is cool, but the entire shape has to be composed just as carefully as everything else. For me, it's a little fussy. Lot's of little details and lines that I don't see necessary when the overall design is supposed to be broad and graphic. The white space beneath it also feels awkward to me because it looks like it's floating. I played around with the negative and positive shapes and tried to come up with something. I'm not sure about it though. Maybe it's no good. I'm thinking you just need to try out more things and make all the shapes relate to each other. I'm not a graphic designer, so take with salt.

Attachment 2307356
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thx for the feedback. The design is for a little caretaker-service (facilities, garden) and actually was created to cover business cards. It is meant to be a 2side card but I did not care yet about the back. The lorem Ipsum is for real just a placeholder and has no narrative to the rest rest of the design (See it as a shape). The graphical abstraction however is a building, showing the initials of the company and as a link to their core. I liked the idea of a clean and structured overall design having foreground, mid ground and detail kind of leading the eye from the top right to the left to the bottom. Also I tried to play a little with perspective having some overlapping forms (this awkward looking green spot) and give it a more dynamic look. I guess I failed this point hardly and need to find better solutions. Colorscheme is inspired by some vintage posterart but has no special semantic I guess, yet. With the words of Ivan Chermayeff '' When it doubt, make it red. If you're still in doubt, make it big.'' Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    The lorem Ipsum is for real just a placeholder and has no narrative to the rest rest of the design
    Yes... ? But the point of lorem ipsum is that it can create the look of real text. It's so you don't just write 'blah blah blah blah' on your design, because that would look really static and artificial. You want to see how your design would look with real text which would hopefully use more than the same 2 words repeated. Does that make sense???

I think the colours that JoeCowan used are really effective. But that's just how orange and blue are, it's why so many people use them together. I do like the idea of the colours you were using. And I think nudging the hue and brightness around a bit could make something quite nice. But that little square has to go. It's distracting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post: