Thread: 3 characters

Thanks

3 characters

Hi! My name is Joel Codina, I'm 19 and I'm studying to be a concept artist. I recently discovered this forum thanks to a friend and it looks really interesting! This is my first post, 3 characters I made for my university. If somebody can give me feedback or tell me what I did wrong will be amazing!

Name:  joel_codina_trahaearn_c.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  145.2 KBName:  joel_codina_heulog_c.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  148.9 KBName:  joel_codina_aderyn_c.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  105.7 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Are you going to be a concept painter or a 3d modeler? If I'm being honest, I'm kinda bored of all three of them. I'm trying to figure out how that ornament is attached to the first dude's back, but aside from that it's kinda 'meh' you know? I've seen these kind of lived in nord-esque character designs before and the drab colors aren't doing much for me either.

Thanks
    I disagree for university work this is more than acceptable, especially considering most of the time you have a set brief. Everyone has a phase of overusing photo textures, you've actually used them effectively here, you just haven't blended them well enough, or normalized the sharpness of each one. Try using surface blur in Photoshop to make them more uniform, or better still try and paint in some of the textures from the photos. This way you can control the lighting and add bounced light once you have a decent base.

Thanks
    Not bad.. Though some just don't seem well adjusted to the person, or explain anything outside of "hey.. rando norse person here".

Top guy's wood sticks out.
    Arm dagger looks 2d.
    Some sort of lighting to make sense of the hand shadows.
    Feet wrap look 2d.

I don't understand where his knees are relative to teh shin guard and calf tie off on the right leg.

Middle - feet seem mis-sized.
    I am not getting the girdle in the mix.
    Unclear on the gray hands/feet, the twig/key thing, or front facing fancy fanny pack.

Bottom - issues with flat looking things again.. like the reed shin guards.. fore arms being too small on the left arm.. bow/arrows..
    The design doesn't make much sense.. she's got 3-4 layers on the legs and crotch, but only a potato sack bra on with exposed midriff and arms?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Oh, these are fine for university stuff. I'm just saying they didn't really "catch" me. Also, I couldn't tell if these were 3d paint-overs or what.