Thread: Alchemist girl

Thanks

Alchemist girl

Hello everyone, I just got registered
    here is my somewhat character concept art for you to critique and maybe advice some creative decisions that might help me improve

Name:  alchemist_by_cainness_dcr9pdh-fullview.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  100.5 KB

Short lore context (european late-medieval fantasy setting):
    Personality: intelligent, overly humble and shy, always trying to apologize for literally nothing, physically feeble and a little bit clumsy, although grateful and surprisingly resilient
    height 1,65m

Was born in a poor and blunt manychildren farmer's family. During early infancy often got ill and was comparatively feeble kid, since that she couldn't be of a use for her family in a rustic field work. In order not to keep an extra burden to the family, it was decided to give the girl to a women monastery, where she later got basic education like grammar and stuff with brilliant grades.

Few years later (let her age be about 13) the convent was captured by foreign empire/kingdom which didn't recognize local religion and used monastery as a military outpost.
    I guess a lot of innocent girls had a hard time with invaded soldier folks, but ours one had been rescued by their army alchemist, who apparently was a kind, wise old man (comfy cliche). So he just got placed his lab in a one of the former convent rooms and took this girl as an assistant for work. Soon enough it turned out she was a capable learner and at a time this picture represents I think she's a nice and solid young alchemist
    I really want to know what do you think, does this art actually work with the background or not quite. Also I feel like some of my anatomy proportions gone wrong, but i don't understand how to fix it naturally now (when im trying it just goes all stiff). Honestly, It seems like I made some major mistakes in shape construction at the beginning already, so it's just really hard for me to tell after all rendering stuff, oh well

Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes out there, I'm still learning English (did my best though)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,039 Posts
    I love it! I would like you to sell more of her being an alchemist, maybe adding a dab of magic, as she looks like a chemistry student right now. Her boots suggest some outdoor interest, which doesn't really match her being involved in a lab, while her blouse doesn't look very practical either. How about a lab coat, apron, goggles, gloves or anything else more protective? I do like the nerdy look on her face. When is she supposed to live? Middle Ages? Baroque? Our universe? Fantasy?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought mainly about late middle ages fantasy setting. Well, she wears boots because I initially considered her more of a game companion character (i'm just really hooked on all classic party-rpg games, in this case i was inspired by pathfinder:kingsmaker) which of course implicates traveling and adventures, and that's why I also tried to make her tools compact, handy and well-fixated avoiding everything too bulky or inconveniently floppy (speaking of which, all those belts hardly help situation, but i couldn't come up with another right gear that wouldn't ruin original idea about her). In the end, however, i understand why she shouldn't have full outdoors life, since she is kind of fragile and innocent type for epic and heroic journeys (i might act overprotective here, but i certainly don't want to see her get injured or watching folks being killed as it usually happens). Actually, now when I'm thinking about It, image of adorable scientist in a lab surely fits her well, although this picture represents her as a companion.

I like your outfit concept with coat, I think I'll try it someday and make her more look like stationary lab-working alchemist (i guess it will be whole different concept though). And of course I appreciate your time for critique, thank you

Thanks
    I like it. I do think her gesture is static however.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.