Thanks

Humbly I ask for a critique please!

Name:  Illya Dreww.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  71.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It looks like pretty standard fan-art. I don't know if this is an original character or not, but that's the point. I've seen it before. Nothing really distinguishes it from what I'd find from a casual search trough DA. I'm not one of the people who'd tell you to avoid anime or manga-style like the plague, but if you're going to do it you need to really blow people out of the water. One of the ways to do it is studying fundamentals, but another way is looking at the best work in your particular field of interest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have been hitting the fundies, I have been doing this for awhile. I agree with what you are saying, so I'm not pushing back but you said something interesting. What about the fundies are weakest here? Figure drawing, value, gesture etc? I would like to push towards something more unique but it feels like I am already doing that and I am just falling short.

Thanks
    You're doing perfectly fine, don't worry. Still recommend to make a sketchbook or something, I really think you'd benefit from it.

Thanks
    The size of her chest doesn't match between the two shots. Otherwise, there's nothing that really stands out to me as "wrong" with your fundamental understanding. I was only making the point that continued and constant study was one of two ways you'd bring yourself to the next level.

I think it's safe to say you don't actually think a girl wearing a qipao is actually pushing yourself to something more unique. That said, it doesn't have to be your subject matter that separates yourself from other artists. If you're good enough, you can draw anything and your technical skill will speak for itself.