Thanks

would appreciate critique for a portrait

finished this yesterday, any ideas on how i can improve upon it? thanks guys
    Ref pic: https://imgur.com/a//KkdUJN5
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A pretty solid render. Great blending technique in the face! That being said there are some visual differences I can see that are just distortions from the picture. Eyes, nose length, chin, face puffiness, etc.. but good work over all!
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Technically, this is a perfect 1:1 copy of the original, which makes it unlikely that you've constructed the picture by using the original as a reference, rather than copying it with some kind of system. Since you've posted this to the critique forum, I'll assume you're here to get better. So yeah, for the mayority, it's looking a bit different because shadows and light play a vital function in how a face looks. Like in this very example, less shadow around the chin, or making it transition a bit more blurry, and it'll automatically look thicker. I'm biased on the idea of copying stuff at this level, I think it's better to learn understanding the things you see, copying beyond a certain level might be more hindering than helping, because you're concentrating on different details and process different information. The phrase "to miss the forest for the trees" comes to mind.

Thanks
    Nice! But is the original picture distorted? The head looks kinda long.

@White rabbit. I disagree a bit. I think you need to strike a balance. There's nothing wrong with doing a copy like this, and it isn't a perfect copy either.
    Last edited by JoeCowan; 1 Week Ago at 05:59 PM.

Thanks
    It's distorted because it's photographed from slightly below. When correcting the angles with the right tools, and putting the original on top, it's a very precise copy in position of everything, almost to the eyebrow's hair.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to give the impression that copying is wrong, I just don't think that it pays off to spend so much efford on copying at this level of detail.

Thanks
    Well I think copying is fine, but what did you learn from this. Try to do face from imagination and you can use references but not to copy

Thanks
    Nice job, you definitely gave up on the background though. By "giving up" I mean you didn't give it as much attention as you did the more "important" areas. It might not seem like much, but people look at your illustration as a cohesive whole. The hard work you put on the face is being diminished by the quick pencil shading you settled for in the background. It would've been better with nothing there, IMO.

You did a nice job with the rendering, but the distortion issues are also throwing me off a bit. Can you get this scanned somewhere?

Thanks
    Hey! I used the grid method and a ruler to get the proportions right. I put the drawn image over the photograph to check if mine was accurate, and i kept doing that and making adjustments till i got it right. Then i traced the image i drew onto a blank piece of paper and went on from there. Yeah pretty complicated for no reason.What i'm doing feels like tracing without the tracing. I really gotta work on being able to draw faces and bodies without all these extra steps.