Thanks

Artisan sketchbook *mild nudity*

Hello,

I'm a metal artisan focusing on 3D modeling and casting. What I'm aiming to do is to improve my sculpting skills, so long story short: I need to learn anatomy for possible figures/characters for miniature production and then trying to build a good visual library for different elements that are eventually used in jewelry and small everyday items. That's my goal. Plus, I really love to draw, so this is a win/win

What I've struggled with the most is the human figure, so I started to study anatomy. I've now gone through the very basics and trying to get familiar with the large masses without getting too much in to the detail (yet). Trying to get the proportions right and not to have lumps and bumps where those don't belong. First studies were really stiff and I still find myself petting the line every time I'm uncertain (it's a good indicator to areas, that I need to study more, though).

If you have the time, please do give feedback/critique. I really want to improve and most of the time I'm blind to my errors, so if you see something that looks off, please let me know

These are some of the studies from week 1 to 3. Getting more relaxed doing the poses, which is good. Have to do a lot more before it's going to feel natural, tho'.

Cya soon,
    ~Julia
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Goodness! This is only week 1-3? Good lines, great flow! Keep going!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    eezacque, thank you! So I'm going in the right direction? That's very good to hear! It's been pretty intense 3 weeks, been searching for ebooks and online tutorials and went through various youtube lessons...What I think is actually a good thing is, that I don't have much of free time to spend. Used to draw every day years ago, but as there were no goal and nothing to aim for, I used the time for daydreaming instead of being smart with studying. Thanks again, I'll post more poses tomorrow

Thanks

Workflow

This is my current workflow. The basic silhouette that I'm using now works best if it's a personal project, that I can freely modify and change as much as I want to. If I'd be able to make more precise drawings, it will also speed up the process and make it easier for myself to model (and when doing commissions, it will be nice for the clients to be able to figure what I'm up to). The ram/mountain goat is a wip of a spoon that I'm working on. Waiting for more bronze to continue I'd love to be able to cast miniatures, but need more practice with the human anatomy (working on it!)

If anyone is interested of the process, it goes as follows. 1. Concept, 2. Modeling, 3. Print-->mold-->injection wax pattern 4. investment casting --> lots of cleaning, filing, soldering and polishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Reading and studying Michael Hampton's book about figure drawing...and struggling It's definitely more easier to understand as a beginner than Bridgman, which I opened and then panicked. Might not be the best book to start with, but I do enjoy the work.

Also memorizing bony landmarks; started from the rib cage and pelvis combo.

Name:  asento7.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  228.3 KB

Thanks

Thanks
    Love it, very impressive gesture drawings