Thanks

Smile What’s going on

Hi all!

I’m Erik, and I have registered today!
    I like to make digital designs and art, and I am very keen on feedback regarding the stuff I make. Over the last few months I have posted a lot of stuff on Instagram, that gives me a bit of insight in wether or not people like the things I make, but it doesn’t really get further than plain “likes”. I would really like to hear if techniques are right, if proportions are in order, that kind of stuff.

I really hope you guys would be willing to take the time to give me some feedback, I’ll appreciate it hugely!

So here goes, I hope you like it! The title of this artwork is “what’s going on” and features a penguin in the drought of the desert. The piece is made in illustrator, as I like the sharpness and general look and feel of vector images.

Thats pretty much it! If you like to know more, don’t hesitate to ask!

Best,
    Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Penguins usually don't cast a shadow, when they stand in the shadow.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I expect your shadows to be reddish, due to the ambient light from the sky.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks to the both of you!

It makes a lot of sense that stuff in that dark of a shadow won’t have a shadow by itself. I guess it’s only in artificial light that you get the double shadows.

@eezaque: that makes sense too. I do like the contrast in this image though but I’ll fiddle around with some shades a bit more red!

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot!

Thanks
    The contrast of the hill strongly draws attention away from the penguin.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrerik View Post
    Thanks to the both of you!

It makes a lot of sense that stuff in that dark of a shadow won’t have a shadow by itself. I guess it’s only in artificial light that you get the double shadows.
    The number of shadows depends on the n umber of light sources. If you have, for example, 3 light sources, each from a different angle, you will cast 3 shadows, one for each light source. And they can overlap into stronger shadows, if the angle allows for it. The thing with shadow is, that its intensity can vary, depending on the ambient light. What we see, is light bouncing off surfaces and back into our eyes. But light also bounces off surfaces to light other surfaces (fe. mirrors and bright colors are highly reflective). However, all you get from this is a hardly noticable transition from dark to darker, no sharp lines whatsoever. That's a very complex thing to learn, that's one reason why we draw from reference. However, it's equally important to understand what you see.

Members who have read this thread: 35