Thanks

expansion on last post

thank you for your advice on my original post- I was a bit confused at how the site works but I think I got it under control now.
    it seemed the problem was it made no sense so I thought I would re-upload the drawing but with the other frames attached.
    the quality of the art is a bit wonky ahah-
    so this creature thing is called smiley, a fleshy grey blob with a yellow smile mask strapped onto it like this it has strange legs that are white and chunky. it showed up when I was 11, when I was still in school, and was never dealt with in therapy so it never really left. it only comes out when the lights are off, prompting me to collect a multitude of night lights.
    -
    1st frame: smiley when I was 11
    2nd and 3rd frame: smiley now, whenever I wake up at 4am and the lights have gone off.
    -
    I'm actually new to this medium but I have always appreciated it. I use a bottle of Indian ink, several paint brushes, and an heirloom fountain pen (that isn't good for thin lines, I might need to get a proper one) and most of this stuff is drawn at 3am as an outlet I guess, specially since I don't have wifi all the time, only four hours a day which is quite expensive- not much reaches out as far as my farm. I've been drawing for maybe 3 years, so it's not like I have the knowledge of a tortoise when it comes to stuff, I'm pretty new.
    -
    my inspirations are Junji Ito (no surprise there), Kengo Hanazawa and Daijiro Morohoshi, though I am absolutely no where near as good as them, I still appreciate them as idols haha
    = NOTE =
    the size of the images is broken. I take photos of my art, with a phone, and I'm not used to editing sizes so please put up with this, I'll figure it out soon enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Personally, I'm interested in hearing more about this creature. I had some green spade-headed creatures visit me when I was about 6 or so. I draw them from time to time. I'm inclined to chalk it up to dreams, but the memory is clearer to me than most memories I have. I'm a natural born lucid dreamer though and those make for some clear memories.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    Maybe try starting your panels/ drawings by sketching out the content in simple values and shapes, like, seperating distance by brightness, only working in ~3 values (fe. white in the foreground, grey further away and black farthest away). If you do this, you'll pay more attention to things like composition, weight distribution and especially recognizability of the elements present in the scene.

As for horror: There are symbols and forms that affect our unconscious when we watch movies or read comics. Those things are heavily used in both media to increase tension and emotion. One such thing is the use of geometric shapes, as horizonal and vertical lines. Those resemble the security we feel when being inside our houses. Having such lines present establishes a feeling of safety. On the contrary, many slopes create a feeling of danger and tension (staircases, skewed angles, etc.). Another thing is, how much space is used up by whatever entity or person in a panel. Needless to say, harmony only exists when the characters within the panel share a fair amount of space, whereas unequal distribution creates a feeling of discomfort, with the person using up more space appearing dominating, and the other one appearing cornered. There are tons of things to this, but it's way too much information for me to cover, so for now I just shared what seems to be important in consideration of what I've seen so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Even though this is for game design but can apply here as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just as a clarification - these are supposed to be semi-autobiographical, about monsters you saw when you were younger?

Thanks
    yeah 100%, the creation wasn't meant to strike terror into the hearts of all who gaze upon it or something, it's still in the outlet stage of me drawing things that happened to me. I guess im trying to expand on that, and learn how to create actual psychological horror, and so far this site has been the most helpful think of it like, I'm learning how to swim, moving on from the paddling pool that's drawing as a hobby

Thanks
    possibly the most helpful advice I've ever gotten? thankyou so much! I'm gonna try do a few more panels with all that info. thankyou again
    is it a different thing that houses for me make me paranoid? you mentioned security, but my own bedroom is more of a threat than outside in the rain. just interested haha
    (also the 3 values thing? I never thought about that but I think that would really help)

Thanks
    it's interesting to organise smiley, it's helping me deal with it a bit more. all i've seen is it's mask and legs, and the weird pulsating flesh. sometimes it just straight up crawls through the closed window or fills up the room and pokes at me (like shown in the bottom drawing) I can't see it, but it's presence is ridiculously strong.
    like if someone walks into your room and sits and looks at you, even if the lights off, you still know they're there.
    what were the green spade creatures? like small aliens? have you uploaded some of their art, it would be cool to see other peoples dream creature drawings : 0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xunibar View Post
    it's interesting to organise smiley, it's helping me deal with it a bit more. all i've seen is it's mask and legs, and the weird pulsating flesh. sometimes it just straight up crawls through the closed window or fills up the room and pokes at me (like shown in the bottom drawing) I can't see it, but it's presence is ridiculously strong.
    like if someone walks into your room and sits and looks at you, even if the lights off, you still know they're there.
    what were the green spade creatures? like small aliens? have you uploaded some of their art, it would be cool to see other peoples dream creature drawings : 0
    That's weird. I don't envy you. Have you tried talking to it?

Here are some pictures of the green guys. They aren't evil or anything. They just watch.
    Name:  IMG_0764.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  241.9 KBName:  IMG_0766.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  83.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    Y'all had sleep paralysis.

Really like the smiley guy though, masks with set expressions screw our ability to read threats and set off a primal fear, making them inherently scary.

Thanks
    Except I wasn't paralyzed and walked past them into my parents room where I woke up the next morning. I had gone to sleep in my own bed that night. I don't ever sleep walk anymore. I'm not saying I'm a believer in the paranormal, but it is fun.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    sorry, I'm not sure how to do the quote text thing? ah, I agree with david, I can walk around and move, which normally ends with me lighting a candle. dad managed to get some lights in so its a bit quicker but the same deal. I know its not real, but when its 4am I don't really know the difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tenchi24 View Post
    Y'all had sleep paralysis.
    Dunno maybe once couldn't move and felt "entity" approaching from behind

Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Except I wasn't paralyzed and walked past them into my parents room where I woke up the next morning. I had gone to sleep in my own bed that night. I don't ever sleep walk anymore. I'm not saying I'm a believer in the paranormal, but it is fun.
    I have been told that I have walked, seated up, talked random non sense, would be interesting to see if I still do that as I live alone

Quote Originally Posted by Xunibar View Post
    sorry, I'm not sure how to do the quote text thing? ah, I agree with david, I can walk around and move, which normally ends with me lighting a candle. dad managed to get some lights in so its a bit quicker but the same deal. I know its not real, but when its 4am I don't really know the difference.
    You can quote by hitting reply with quote and write outside of quote with brackets, you can delete portion of it and if you hit multiple multi quotes (right side of reply with quote) then reply with quote, that is how I got these quotes