Thread: moon gate

Thanks

moon gate

A caravan of nomads being turned away at the gates of a lost, hidden city. Does this read all right? Any changes you'd make, to anything? Thanks!

Name:  moon-gate-05.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  389.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I quite like this, the perspective of the gate/door is off though, try and make the lines parallel to the arches underneath, that should make it read better. The right side of the gate is too low perspective-wise as well.

Thanks
    Haha, this is actually a 3D render with photobashing and paintover on top. The models are straight / symmetrical / perfectly circular / etc. There's no weird distortion applied to the camera view or anything. It's a 40mm lens, so there's some fast convergence going on for the perspective lines, maybe that's making it look a little too fisheye (although lines are still straight). Here's a front view screenshot from the viewport:
    Name:  moon-gate-05-front.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  255.2 KB

Thanks
    Nice.
    I agree with tenchi, the right side of gate looks too low, which is weird because I know you're using 3d.
    Also which arm is the guardian figure halting with? The thumb suggests the right hand but it's position looks like it's on the left side of the body.

*maybe it's an optical illusion caused by the curvature of the cornice at the top and angle of bridge "pinching" the composition on the right side.
    Last edited by InfernoKing; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:37 PM. Reason: composition observation

Thanks
    It might be the circle of triangles coming off the giant character throwing off where the eye travels around the door. Or maybe the white of the inner side of the door blending with the white from inside the room? What do you render in? 40mm in vray will definitely cause some distortion in my experience.

Thanks
    InfernoKing: great point about the arm. It's her right arm (our left), but the 3D drapery is being lit oddly. I'll fix the highlight so it looks correct. And I came to the same conclusions about the perspective: it's probably the fact that the roof line and the "floor" line of the wall (the line that meets the bridge) get lost on the right side that contribute to the rest of the persp looking weird. The bridge doesn't help. Maybe if I had some other lines parallel to the bridge radiating crazily it would reinforce the perspective? I was also going to include some small vertical towers to reinforce the vertical vanishing lines too. I dunno, this is already kinda busy.
    tenchi24: it's done in Blender, with the Cycles renderer. I think InfernoKing is right above, it's the fact that other vanishing lines get obscured, or getting pinched, that's making the horizontal cross line from the door look odd. Here's one of the original renders with the vanishing lines called out. I'll see how I can reinforce those lines in the final.

Name:  moon-gate-05-persp.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  134.1 KB

Thanks
    Looks finished to me.

My only issue is the caravan on the bridge not reading as they should. I'd have thought those were cultist or worshipers coming to pay their goddess tribute or something. To me, your narrative and your final product aren't syncing up. I'm not sure how important that is to you, but if you wanted to fix that I'd make your nomads look a little more lived in. Right now they're just blobs with torches, so I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that. Maybe emphasize horses with cargo, tents, etc?

Thanks
    I didn't realize there were people on the bridge at all. I thought it was some kind of antenna lights or something.

On a more nitpick pain-in-the-ass kind of note, why is there a giant gate that they don't see fit to use to keep the rabble out? The "lore" or whatever you want to call it isn't really jiving in my head. I'm not saying there couldn't be a reason, but it's certainly not apparent to me. It also just doesn't seem like something I'd call a Moon Gate. More like a Dawn Gate or the Gate of Taxation.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    MattyT: yeah, I tacked on the characters at the end. At first I just had this idea of a giant moon gate, but it felt boring without characters for scale. There's actually guys on horses in there, but you can barely see them. If this was a movie, this would be a wide shot, but there would be other closer shots establishing what's going on, showing the people walking up the bridge, etc. Good call though, I knew the nomads were one of the weakest links in this.
    David_a_ray: haha, a moon gate is a type of Chinese-style architectural doorway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_gate ... I just embellished it and made it gigantic. Re: the story, I figured the gates are usually closed, but these nomads knocked on it for a while and raised a stink, and wouldn't leave, even after the giant inhabitants repeatedly told them to go away. At which point this ghost opened the gates and came out and basically said "that's enough, gtfo" and started casting magic as a threat. I know it's a hard read, though.

All right, I tweaked the lighting on the ghost's arm, and I made the wall's lower vanishing line clearer. It's pretty subtle. I've decided the curved roof line of the wall is the main thing contributing to the perspective looking off, but I want to leave that area as is. I'll keep an eye out for weird perspective reads in future things I do. I did move the foreground silhouetted leaves upward to show more of the roof line curving back down on (our) left side. Anyway, here's an updated with two variations, one with the magic, one without.

Name:  moon-gate-06_variations.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  422.4 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's really pretty! The bridge bothers me though, being at almost a 45 degree angle to the viewer. Just feels weird for a procession scene. I think it would read more naturally if it were horizontal. The figure in red reminds me of the game Journey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DZC-60x20
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    I feel like the composition isn't doing the story any favours - it's hard to make out what idea is being conveyed

Thanks
    mangalosa & misterdistant: yeah, I started this out as a piece of architectural concept art, which explains the weird angle. The figures and story were added later to pad it out, but the composition definitely wasn't optimized for them. I'd try different camera angles if I wanted to show the nomads up close. I might do some animated flythroughs of the original 3D scene later, but there's a lot missing in it, since so much was added in Photoshop.

Someone on another forum suggested adding fog behind the caravan so they stand out better from the bg, which I can't I believe I didn't think of earlier. Made some more tweaks to the foliage, added a halo to the ghost.

Name:  moon-gate-07s.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  170.6 KB

Thanks
    That's looking better already, much clearer. I would try out the different camera angles too

Thanks
    All right, some updates. Added some towers to fill out the scene more. Messed w/ the foliage some more, the fog, made the shadows on the big wall dappled.

Name:  moon-gate-08.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  171.4 KB

Here's some alternate angle shots from the 3D viewport, w/out all the extra photobashing on top:

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-02.jpg
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-04.jpg
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-05.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-03.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-06.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  moon-gate-viewport-01.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  116.7 KB

Thanks
    dont know what to crit about that... keep on rocking.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis