Thanks

Half Empty, Comic Evaluation

This was a very short comic project that I've abandoned. Looking back on it makes me cringe a little, but as I'd like to make comics again I'd like to know what you guys think. Specifically where you think I went wrong, what I did right, what you'd have liked to have seen , etc. I kept changing things around as I was making it, which is part of the reason why I wound up dropping off after page 3.

Name:  half3.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  231.6 KB
    Name:  half2.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  245.3 KB
    Name:  half.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  280.9 KB

Random Supplementary stuff.

How I drew them back then:
    Name:  half5.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  147.4 KB

How I draw them now:
    Name:  half4.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  164.0 KB

I don't plan on coming back to this specific project, but I'd like to get some ideas on how I could improve going forward, as usual. Anything helps, thanks in advance.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dunno, I think it's pretty good actually. It's drawn nicely. The pacing of the action seems kinda weak to me, but that's just an impression. What do you hate about it?

Thanks
    The pacing was a big issue from the get go with me. Basically I tend to over think all of my comic ideas, and it gets to the point where I never start. This was the first time I tried "just doing it" but had the reverse problem of not having enough of a gameplan. As for what I don't like about it specifically, just general lack of planning / consistency between the pages. The kangaroo stayed the same, for the most part, but it felt like I was slightly redrawing the dog each time.

Thanks
    I think it'd be better if you had them walking in the direction of the story. We read left to right after all. It just feels like that'd make it flow better.

Additionally, having them walk into the scene at the end rather than from it would increase the feeling of depth. But don't mind me, I'm just muttering in the corner.
    Sketchbook

We could be struck by lightning at any moment. What kind of universe is that?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the comic and characters are pretty well done. I agree with David_a_ray about the direction they are walking in, that's a very strong point. For me there's a couple of awkward things. such as 'thorn up my ass' should be 'thorn in my ass' - that just flows better I think. Also, the way the kangaroo sits is kind of weird, I know they have weird hop legs. But the way it sits, doesn't work for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually liked the line quality of the comic as you drew it in the first place Something unique, sort of a vintage Japanese comic style with a modern flair.

I think the colors you chose could be changed. Especially in the first comic, the mustard yellow with brown borders is rather unattractive in my opinion. Have you ever used the adobe color wheel feature? https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/ If you're struggling to find a nice cohesive palette, this is incredibly useful. You can even tell the app how many colors you want in your palette, which is great for doing simple comic styles. I love dropping an image into the app, it can find the basic local colors that agree with each other. It's so fun!

The text is pretty hard to read. I found myself really straining. At a distance, it's a nice hand written comic style font, but when actually reading it, the letters aren't crisp or spaced enough to read fluidly (at least for me, a person with exceptionally bad eyesight). Also, revisit the flow of your text. In the hill scene, it reads right to left, rather than left to right. Pretty confusing.

In terms of color, the night scene is my favorite. You introduced a bit of gradient to the borders, which really helped break the monotony between panels, and helped it feel more cohesive. The textures you used were also quite nice.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I hadn't actually considered that, it would've helped somewhat with the pacing at least. The first one, to me, felt like the weakest. Like I hadn't really gotten everything together yet but started anyway.

Thanks
    I agree with both of you.

Honestly, the dialog was one of the main things I was afraid of. I'm not a writer, and don't pretend to be, so I was pretty anxious about how it'd flow from the start. I think it got a little better as I was making them. Like I said with David, the first one was the most awkward to me in that I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing just yet. Probably gave up on it a bit too early, in hindsight.

Unrelated: I'm so used to replies going underneath the original message on other forums. It looks so strange to me when my replies are just grouped together on the bottom. Does that bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Thanks
    I've never heard of it, no...but I kinda like messing around with it. It'd be pretty useful for a starting point, actually. The text arrangement could've been fixed if I'd spent a little more time planning these out before jumping straight in, which is the major issue I'm seeing after really looking at this little series as a whole. I'd just under planned / rushed it instead of being over planned as I usually do.

If I do jump back into a comic again, what I'll probably do is type out the text and then trace over that for the appropriate spacing. I can't stand actual comic fonts, but even I'm having trouble reading some of the balloons.

Thanks
    Pretty nice little comic you've got going here, it feels professional. I prefer a medium paced story line so the pacing didn't bother me too much. The last bit where they are walking through the woods, the dialog there didn't quite make much sense to me, but that could just be me.
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook