Thanks

Design critique needed on a fighting game character!

Hello,
    I'm working on a character for my game.
    It's also going to serve as a main piece in my portfolio so I need it to be as good as possible.

Lore

The initial description I gave him was a werewolf samurai in a Sci-Fi theme. He ended up being more an upright wolf than werewolf. His entire race has been enslaved by another race that see science almost like a religion. The scientist race used his race as lab rats. So all sorts of torturous experiments were done on him. The last experiment they did on him was to convert his body into a powerful energy source for whatever tech that was implanted or used by him, like his jetpack, bionic arm, sword and throwing knives. The experiment worked so well that he was able to use that new found energy to break free.

Every character in the game is also infested with a bloodstone that gives them powers and makes them immortal. The stones fuse with the characters in different locations, in his case it could be the eye.

Design restrictions

He needs to be able to fly. Every character can fly and this needs to be somehow explained in the design.
    He needs the bloodstone fused somewhere on his body.
    Most interesting stuff should happen on right side as that's the side that is facing the camera.

Current state

Design critique needed on a fighting game character!
    This is what the character looks like currently still in a work in progress state. The fur planes are especially temp in this picture.

Problems I see with the current state of the model.
    He lacks personality.
    He is too symmetrical.
    His story is not shown through his design.
    The game is Sci-Fi themed and he lacks more Sci-Fi elements.
    He is too groomed/clean to look at, doesn't give me that slave vibe.
    No clear design focus point.
    Bloodstone looks ugly and is dominating the attention to his chest which is not interesting.
    Glove things look dorky and feel like useless detail.
    Proportions/silhouette need more appeal.
    Needs a more interesting color scheme.
    Jet pack design is not that great looking.

Redesigns

Design critique needed on a fighting game character!Design critique needed on a fighting game character!
    These are 2 rough Photoshop redesigns I am considering where I tried to combat all those problems.

Before I continue to remodeling him, I wan't to be absolutely sure that he is exactly where he needs to be.
    I personally feel like it's already a huge improvement design wise, although I am torn on whether he should have a bionic arm or not.

So I would appreciate any comment or brutal critique

Note : The bionic arm is quickly just photo raped into the concept to see if a bionic arm could work, it isn't meant as final design as it's completely stolen

I'm also not really interested in modeling critique at the moment, this is purely to get feedback on the concept. I only show the current model to show a reference to the current design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by m0rales; December 17th, 2018 at 09:42 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am confused about that top one. What is the batarang embedded in the cheek for? About about the arm sword thing?

There is quite a bit about that top one that is off. The fur being one of them. That tail is pretty harsh as is the head, neck, and shoulder pads.
    The feet are weirdly placed in the first.. maybe the toes do not splay enough or the foot joint needs to be higher.. either way looks unstable.

The hands look hugely disproportional in the front and back.. and the arms too long.

What's up with the one ear?

The sword/stick thing looks unwieldly being a rectangular box and not a round grip.

Does the backpack just connect at the belt? What's up with it anyways? The detailing is not high on the resolution to see.
    Why is there a green fungal growth on the chest?

Your text was white on a tope background so those were my initial thoughts. Let me see what you wrote.

Hello Polycount,
    Oh that can't bode well.

Wait, there's a bionic arm in the top image?

Bloodstone immortal.. in the eye and not the chest thing?

Good to hear the fur was just temporary

photo raped
    That is certainly a variation of 'photobash' I have never heard before.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Okay sorry about that shit post, I was on my way out of the door and wanted to post this before I left and didn't double check anything :/

Anyways, the first image is just what it looks like now and it's mostly the redesigns I'm looking for feedback for. Maybe I should remove the first image, I just thought it would put things into context =)

The throwing knives are floating in front of him hehe. Just to display things better as I worked on it.

Good feedback on the feet thanks!
    I actually tried to fix the feet in the redesigns but im not sure it helped a lot =/

Thanks
    Everything is meant to be implanted into him, his jetpack also. So at the back there are metal things that dig into his skin.
    But because it's all so well hidden it just looks like it's velcroed onto him. His jetpack is probably my least favourite thing about him.

Thanks
    Hey @m0rales, protip, if you upload the images into the attachment manager, your image will show up as a thumbnail on your thread. You'll get more views that way. ~

Okay, so initial reactions...Hm...

That being said, I'm not really getting the samurai, or slave, or experimented-on-creature vibe here. I think you should try playing around with some weird proportional stuff. What if the experiments made his right side huge, allowing him to wield a massive samurai sword? What if the bloodstone took up half of his head (explaining the missing ear). The redesign looks a bit weaker than the original IMO. I'm not sure what's up with the spiky thing on his side. Are those supposed to be throwing knives? The angle looks as though they're poking into him. Is it too cliche to suggest a collar as a "slave" signifier, since this is a doggy boi?
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    I think it looks pretty cool, and I think the fur looks fine. Also, if he has the green stuff growing on his belly he probably doesn't also need yellow creep growing out of his eye. That would just be too much to look at visually. One thing I would say is if you're trying to make him look like a downtrodden slave, the glowing yellow components probably look a bit too high tech and cool for that.

Thanks
    Thanks for the pro tip mangosals
    I can't make things too big on him as he is meant to be a very fast moving character. But maybe I could get some deformed bits in there in smaller scale.
    Yes the spiky things are throwing knives, I tried moving them to his arms. Tried giving him a collar like you suggested, I had thought of doing that myself. Can't quite decide if I like it or not.

Hey Ajams, he is only meant to have green glowy bits one place. It's mean to be some "magical" infection that gives him powers. The high tech stuff is from all the stuff they experimented with him. I tried adding even more rough cloth to him to make him seem more slave like.

More designs :

Name:  Concept_04.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  70.8 KB Name:  Concept_06.jpg
Size:  73.2 KB Name:  Concept_07.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB

Thanks
    I'm wondering about function of hes power and those glowing blades in he's wrists are those related somehow, you really need to solve problems visually not just make it look cool https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q83yz https://www.google.fi/search?q=assas...=1920&bih=1058

Thanks
    The blades and his powers are not related no. The blades are meant to be high tech throwing knives that he took from the place where they did experiments on him. The same with the sword that you can see in the very first image and the backpack he has. Those images you linked look nice, but aren't really related to the throwing knives =(

I agree thought, the functionality is not really there yet, the throwing knives locations is also what I'm least happy with right now. It could also just be just one throwing knife that he always has in his off hand, but then I won't be able to switch the sword from one hand to the other when he's doing acrobatic and flashy attacks,

Thanks
    Main point of my links was show examples of concepts which show some kind of function, not to spoon-feed your designs as you need to figure out that yourself but research is key. Read about how people used throwing knifes or any kind of throwing projectiles, I'm not familiar on subject but for example sword shape influences how its used effectively like curved blade is used more for cutting than pointier one like rapier

Thanks
    Latest attempt, probably my personal favourite so far.

Name:  Concept_10.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  72.4 KB