I would like to receive constructive criticism

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bozzetto chiesa 1.jpg 
Views:	1295 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	2305744

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Photobashing is pointless if all your stock is different resolutions/quality. This is muddy and pretty bad. You can't have depth if the base image you're using is weirdly blurry and no amount of noise filtering will cover that.

Thanks
    I disagree with the guy above. I don't think it's bad at all and I don't think you have to use pictures of the same resolution. I've seen a lot of pro concept art along these lines.

The thing I would change is the values of the planes:
    Name:  Quickie.png
Views: 752
Size:  201.0 KB
    I simplified everything into basic plains to clarify and show off the composition you set up. It's not the only solution but it's always a good go to. See how the tops of thing are the lightest, the walls are the 2nd lightest, the walls facing us are the darkest and the bottoms (ceiling) is just a tiny bit lighter (cause of reflective light). After you do this, then you can add the more subtle realistic nuances of light, but do this first so you don't ruin the clarity of your painting. By the way, you don't have to paint over it like I did, you could use a multiply layer or level adjustments and masks or something.

Back to the resolution thing: I think you used photo textures to res up the low res building but I think it could've been a better idea to res down the high res pics (esp those angels) by painting over them. Don't be afraid to paint over detail, it's okay, you can always paint it back. Or you can never paint it back and still get a great picture.
    Here are some Moana concept paintings by Ryan Lang. They're super low detail. Just a bunch of big flat plains and super minimalist shapes in perspective. But they're great! :
    last sketch
    last sketch

And here's another piece of Moana concept art that's been textured over to show you that a difference in resolution isn't that big of a deal and also some clearly painted work next to some clearly photo work isn't inherently bad either, so don't be afraid to paint:
    last sketch

Anyway, good job. I truly suck at photobashing, and have a lot of respect for people who do it. It takes a lot of skill to get lighting and perspective and colors to match enough to look like they're all in the same place. Also the layout and lighting setup on that focal point is really nice. Kudos to you and keep it up!

Thanks
    You definitely have to use stock of similar resolutions if you're not painting over it like OP. You're confusing matte painting and straight photo manipulation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much

Thanks
    Thanked 6,690 Times in 4,601 Posts

Thanks
    Hello,
    I've tried to correct it...what do you think ?

Name:  bozzetto chiesa 1...jpg
Views: 426
Size:  133.8 KB