Thanks

Intimidating Meaning

I know I’m new here, but I really need help with some feedback on what people read off this artwork please Thank you

I would also like some criticism on this peice too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Start with basic drawing as I cant tell what you are trying to do here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nada so far.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok I am a little confused. This is an abstract painting, and i am playing with the colours and representation of them, as well as the marks and stitching within the canvas (to imitate scars).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SneaktheifCoalfire View Post
    Ok I am a little confused. This is an abstract painting, and i am playing with the colours and representation of them, as well as the marks and stitching within the canvas (to imitate scars).

Well, the brushstrokes look random and not very intentional. But then I can't even say that because you could very well say it's supposed to look as such.
    The vagueness of intent behind this kind of work makes it sort of futile to try and divine it's meaning. I don't know of any standard by which to judge it. Sorry.

Thanks
    The success of any abstract painting is that it looks deliberate and convincing. "It's abstract, it's supposed to look that way!" doesn't make it good, and it doesn't stop it from being a failed painting. I don't mean to sound unkind, but this kind of work doesn't look at all genuine. You'd be much better off studying basic drawing skill.

TL;DR: This is exactly the kind of painting that comes to mind when people think of an """artist""".

As for the painting itself: For something called Intimidating Meaning I don't really get that feeling at all. Looking at it doesn't make me uneasy, and it definitely doesn't make me want to interpret its "meaning". Why don't you tell us what it means?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think if it were successful you wouldn't have to ask us what we thought the meaning was.

Thanks
    The task I was given was in reflection to the study of semiotics. We were tasked to take a ‘sign’ (so this could mean colour, as I have done, a object or living thing) and change the meaning of that in some way. The example given was of The Queens head made out of garbage. A normally marble presentation now created in rubbish.
    I have studied colour a lot recently and have come across the colour Amaranth, which is a colour that symbolises ‘everlasting’ and ‘immortality’. I incorporated the scars and slashes to contradict that meaning - the yellow on top is the representation of cowardice. In research terms it is also symbolised with drugs and partying.

Thanks
    I thought that was a picture of your mixing palette, Not a finished piece

Thanks
    Who said it was a finished piece?

Thanks
    This is a work in progress? What did you plan to change about it, before you posted it here?

Thanks
    So anyway, I'm not really that into abstract art. But I've seen some pieces where the colour and composition has been used to create something quite beautiful. And while I don't know how purposeful it all is, it's not my field. I'm not getting that from your piece. The elements don't come together to make something that I can appreciate. As it is now it's segmented - you've got a colour that you chose for some purpose, as well as some scars on a canvas. Nothing comes together and nothing really creates any level harmony or composition. This reads as ideas with no real execution, and I think if you took more time rather than saying 'yeah, here's two things together, let's call it a day' you could make something quite good.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Semiotics, huh? Sounds like you're in college!
    Really it's okay, I understand the direction you're coming from but you must realize the pretension inherent in what you're doing. You can't have art about color symbolism unless you give the audience a readable cue that that's something they should consider. The viewer would then have to know that amaranth represents the eternal and yellow, cowardice, which are totally contextual and subjective. People are more likely to think "ketchup and mustard" than eternal and cowardice.

So the thing is, you can't just put signs together and say it means something, even if you have a justification in your head. You can justify meaning in anything by using mental gymnastics. We won't read your mind. In my opinion you need to meet the audience halfway. Be humble. Make them want to go along with you to show them something deeper. When you try too hard to be clever all you end up showing is your own hubris.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post: