Thanks

Digital Painting Practice Thread

Hey everyone, I'm going to use this as a progression thread. Reactions, crits, and pats welcome. My goal is to nail down a process that is successful and fairly quick. So far I've done some exercises from reference in greyscale, trying to get the general shape and tone in 4-10 strokes. It's a tough but helpful challenge. After I did a bunch, I felt much more comfortable with establishing marks and blending digitally. In this one, I experimented with custom brushes (nothing too fancy, really just changing the shape and angle of a hard opacity brush) in order to achieve a more interesting and believable painterly texture. Trying to develop a good grasp on skintone and shape development. Could use a lot more refinement and heavier dark tones in the hair, but this was meant to be an exercise. Photoshop CC. Thanks artpals
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi friends! I had a lot of fun experimenting with this one. I love harajuku fashion, particularly the darker styles. I grabbed my reference from a pinterest board, but couldn't find a link to the model.
    I think I spent around 5 hours on this one. I underestimated how difficult it is to establish the proportions of the face when an eye is covered by hair. Also, the hair in the reference is such an in-between color, it was hard to decide what it actually was! It was a bit of blue/black/purple/grey/pink. I'm still not satisfied with the shape of the outer jaw, but I would drive myself crazy if I spent anymore time tweaking it.

I played around with a halftone effect and I really like how it looks. I'll definitely use it in future pieces.
    Guys, painting is hard D:<

Thanks
    So, how do you construct faces anyways? Is that part of the strokes limitations you're setting for yourself?

Thanks
    It looks to me like you tend to start out too small when observing your first proportions. It's a habit I'm trying to break. That's what leads to issues like his top lip not aligning properly with the center-line of his face. You're leaving out a lot of gesture in favor of close detail. I find that looking for the major and minor rhythms of shape and value are the best things to start with. Then just keep measuring the next biggest thing that you haven't gotten to yet.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    Hi @White Rabbit yeah, pretty much. I'm trying to get away from starting with a super tight line drawing. I basically try to map out the local colors and shapes in the reference and refine from there. I'll include progress stops in the next post, so you guys have more to go on in helping me adjust my workflow. Thanks for chiming in here! I really appreciate it

Hey @David_a_ray interesting, I've not heard of the major/minor rhythm method before. If you have time, would you mind sending me examples of what you mean? Maybe a finished work and a piece in progress using the technique?
    You're definitely right that I tend to squish my gestures. I also tend to work in a mental square, and realize too late that the head and features are taller and more rectangular than I've roughed in. Good eye on the center line of the lips, they're definitely off. After I map in the features, I use the lasso tool to shift things around, sometimes this leads to weird disconnects, the lips in this case. Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks
    The big shapes/strokes to smaller strokes/details is definitely a good approach when copying photos or when doing studies. If you want to create nice paintings which are 100% from reference or mostly from reference I think you are deifnitely training the right thing. But if you want to eventually learn how to draw your own characters and own faces from all kinds of angles, without finding a reference thats 100% accurate than you might want to combine this kind of studying with studies of how to construct the face and the planes that make up the face. That kind of study will also tremendously help you when doing these studies because you will recognize shadow patterns way faster and understand why theyre there. But this is good work so far, so definitely keep going and continue to practice this!

Thanks
    "Finished work" she says. HA! Yeah right. That's the dream I keep having.

In the bottom left drawing look at the pulses of line that make up his shoulder. Basically I want fewer pulses but more accuracy. The way to do this is to take bigger visual chunks of image and puzzle piece them like a child's puzzle and try to remember the piece you assigned to that image in your mind. Don't take the puzzle apart either. I'm not smart enough to remember a bunch of complex pieces all at once so I have to start with extremely simple shapes we're calling The Abstract Gesture of Shapes. That's just me making up names for stuff.
    Now once you have the simple shapes you're going to want to assign a direction of force to each one of them. Like whipping a towel at someone. (You're essentially combining gesture and composition/negative space type of perception at this point.) You're working with the energy of that popping towel or slamming on the breaks. If the force isn't strong enough in what's in front of you, feel free to crank it up a bit. How do you know if the force is enough? You shoot that pulse down your arm and take a look at the mark it makes.

If that doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. Hopefully the pictures will help. I had the images in mind while writing, if that helps with the order of things. Focusing on the motion of the shape allows you to grab information from the visual world and translate it into a language that your arm understands because you basically just assigned a label to a motion. The label can of course be nonsensical in shape, but you can work primarily with C and S shapes to get some nice effects. Just think if I'd used an actual S shape for his shoulder, wouldn't that have made it better? If I had conceptualized it as an S I could assign a proportion to that S. You can of course think like this and incorporate basic 3d shapes, but only after seeing how it works while drawing from life.
    Name:  SWIGGITYDOG.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  216.4 KB
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis van Kessel View Post
    The big shapes/strokes to smaller strokes/details is definitely a good approach when copying photos or when doing studies. If you want to create nice paintings which are 100% from reference or mostly from reference I think you are deifnitely training the right thing. But if you want to eventually learn how to draw your own characters and own faces from all kinds of angles, without finding a reference thats 100% accurate than you might want to combine this kind of studying with studies of how to construct the face and the planes that make up the face. That kind of study will also tremendously help you when doing these studies because you will recognize shadow patterns way faster and understand why theyre there. But this is good work so far, so definitely keep going and continue to practice this!
    This! The second part, about developing the ability to draw characters from imagination, is exactly what I'm trying to improve on. You mentioned studies that help you construct the face and the planes that make up the face. Do you know of any online resources that would help with those kinds of studies? Thanks!

Thanks
    I completely spaced out on saving progress stops until I was pretty far into this painting....

-Dennis you're so right. I should be sure to balance drawing from mind as well as reference! At the moment, my major goal is to improve my painting technique in digital media. But past that I do intend to use the skills for concept and illustration work. THERE'S SO MUCH PRACTICE TO BE HAD!
    -David Ah thanks! Interesting studies. You seem to be developing a sort of philosophical approach to drawing, which I like. Being aware of angles and cohesive flow in a piece is definitely very important.
    -Bingey The studies I'm doing are self made, but they're a sort of synthesis of years of art school and general art obsession. As to online resources...I'm not really sure where to get you started. Try searching for "digital portrait tutorial" in instagram or "how to draw a face". Basic as it sounds, sometimes you find some real gold left behind by fellow artists.

If y'all have PSCC, check out the new liquify face aware feature. Game changer.
    Am I done here? I'm not sure. I loved how wind textured her face was, and her hair was so blue! I'm still squashing the lower half of the face. I tend to shrink the space between the nose and the upper lip. In order of Old, New, Reference

-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    I completely spaced out on saving progress stops until I was pretty far into this painting....
    ;__;