Thanks

Anyone have experience with Watts Attelier online or other mentorship programs?

I've been looking to sign up for a monthly mentorship program and have been interested in the Watts Atelier online program. My goal is to become a concept artist/illustrator and have heard many good things about the physical school. Though I'm not entirely sure if it's suited for developing that type of artwork, or if it's best suited towards more traditional applications, as from what I can see the techniques seem to rely a lot on drawing from reference more than they do building up your internal visual library. I've looked at the other places like Gnomon and CGMA, etc.. but I want something that I can do at my own pace rather than have to do assignments at a specific deadline and is only a few months long. I was doing the New Masters Academy coaching for a while, but ultimately I found myself getting flustered as when I was being taught certain subjects, there were multiple "masters" teaching their own view of how to approach it, which ended up confusing me because I couldn't dedicate myself to mastering an approach without flip-flopping all over the place. The Watts mentorship seems to be a more focused regimine in that regard, but I have no actual idea what it's like. Any experience with online mentorships or advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've heard nothing but good things about Watts, both the actual atelier as well as the online course. If you apply yourself you'll certainly improve your portrait/figure drawing skills.

If the course is the best choice for you depends on your goals really. If you're leaning towards character design and/or illustrations with figures in them as your main area of expertise, it probably is going to be very useful for you. If you're leaning more towards hard surface or environment design, it may not be the most useful application of your time and funds since the course doesn't cover perspective, 3D, lighting beyond what is relevant for portraits etc.

Thanks
    I'm definitely pursuing a path with character/creature designs. It sounds like it could be a good fit then. I've been studying vilppu's techniques a lot, which I found have been pretty effective in terms of creating from imagination, but the way the coaching is in NMA it's difficult to figure out how to apply what I'm watching on the lower tiered subscription since it's only a once a month critique with no draw-overs unless I pay almost double what Watts offers. All I know about Watts is that it makes a lot of use of the Reilly abstraction /shadow mapping and I'm not certain how useful those techniques are when applying them to a painting from your imagination.