Thanks

construction, abstraction, value, light etc.

currently working on this scene in oil. I'm happy about any experience you could share with me and critiques. Peace
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    the Ink

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you work on real canvas, might be a good idea to check for help in an earlier stage/ create some thumbnails digitally beforehand.
    Did you use reference? I like how bold you set light and shadow, but be aware of depth. The further away something gets, the lower your level of contrast becomes. Also the sky doesn't work with the intensive and sharp edged lighting, you might want to get the transition from bright to darker (l to r), to indicate where the sun is going down.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    True, I should have ask for advice in an earlier stage but I do not understand why I should create thumbs digital ?! I like the traditional way of working. I also agree with lighting and I think I will make changes. Contrast and value is alway a big task for me. More detail in short range less in far. I used reference but I think it needs to work without having one comparing it to one. Peace.
    the Ink

Thanks
    The point of making thumbnails is, to project your vision without wasting too much time. Doing so from various angles, with various compositional changes, weight distribution, colors, etc. can be a lot quicker with an edit function. Especially in your case, where the stone texture greatly affects depth and composition, it's a lot quicker if you can just copy/paste the texture within a few seconds, rather than drawing it out, just to see if it works. You can still draw the final piece traditionally, you can draw with whatever you want on whatever you want.
    Can't hurt to give it a try, but if you feel really uncomfortable with digital, drawing with pencil on paper is fine too, especially for b/w.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkognito View Post
    I used reference but I think it needs to work without having one comparing it to one.
    It's just out of curiosity. Photographs aren't always a perfect source for what you're trying to depict.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yep, the composition at the end is not the most exiting. It's a commission and I had to agree to some wishes and find compromise. I used several references to find view of the ruins to capture most of the inner (like commissioner wishes). Don't get me wrong. Did not want to be offensive. I use digital possibilities and I work digital a lot. But sometimes I need to get away from screen. The beauty I think painting traditional is, that you need to overdraw mistakes (no cmd Z) and I'm a lot more careful in making decisions. It forces me to concentrate more. I'm not good in drawing and painting so I need to work more on my observational skillos. Stones are killing me...Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    Progress ? Maybe...
    the Ink

Thanks
    Hey, don't run yourself down, there's no point in that stuff. I totally understand your position, I don't suggest you to draw digitally, just to be clear. I'd never tell somebody to switch from traditional to digital, if anything, it's the other way around. Or a healthy combination of both media. My shameful self hardly draws traditionally anymore, and I'm always shocked when I realize how insecure my lines become when I decide to practice some traditional drawing.

But also consider to differentiate between "work" and "hobby". Like, you said yourself, this was for a client, and that sometimes requires to go back and try to change stuff into whatever they envision. Which should be done before starting the actual piece, which in your case, would be on real canvas. Planning is 90% of the work, after all.

As for the development: I think it's definitely better now. Personally, I'd have left those walls to the left and lower mid with bigger stones, for weight distribution, and to put more focus on the crumbling wall in the background, but I assume this is more about how it actually looks, and less about artistic freedom.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    True. I'm at this point where I get tired looking at it and everything sucks. From start to BIG whatever. I think their is so much work left and missing harmony and a clear language. Also issues with perspective, atmosphere, focal points etc. Maybe I should rest with it for a day or two and reboot my vision.
    the Ink

Thanks
    But you do get my point? If you're thinking about startin over, spend some time making thumbnails. I don't think the perspective or composition are bad, you just need to work on values a bit, and maybe reduce detail a bit in some areas. I made a quick sketch with changed values -

On a sidenote, I took over how shadows are being cast, but I'm having a hard time reading some of them - for example, why the arched windows cast square-shaped sunlight on the right wall. Maybe look into that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    But you do get my point? If you're thinking about startin over, spend some time making thumbnails. I don't think the perspective or composition are bad, you just need to work on values a bit, and maybe reduce detail a bit in some areas. I made a quick sketch with changed values -

On a sidenote, I took over how shadows are being cast, but I'm having a hard time reading some of them - for example, why the arched windows cast square-shaped sunlight on the right wall. Maybe look into that.
    I can follow you since your first reply ;-)
    Thx for spending time doing a little P-O. Hm, I guess it depends on which angle the sunlight hits the arched windows. I took references and that's the information I got. But plz don't let me drive into deep physics )). I like the idea giving the window on the right side more light in the inside to define form. Also the brighter background makes a huge change reading the pic. But I'm not getting the radical value change in the sky. Maybe you can be more explicit about it to help me out ? Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    I've added a transition and some birds for some generic dynamic effect to balance out the rest. As for the sky values, it's mostly just sloppy drawing. The ruins hide the part where it transitions, so it looks more drastic than it is.