Thanks

Picking Myself Up and Dusting Myself Off

I am slowly working to get drawing back into my everyday life. I stopped. I stopped for a long while, almost a year. Now though, I am going to try my best to draw something for everyday. Even if the drawing is awful and I just hate it, I'll still post it in this sketchbook and keep it in real life. Hopefully, as time passes, drawing will become a part of my life once again.

[Thumbnail Placeholder]
    Last edited by AlFair; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:15 PM. Reason: There was too much emotion in the previous post. I decided to tone it down for everyone's sake.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Worth the world you create.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SirPent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When you think of a History class, what comes to mind? Is it book reports because I have to do a 6 to 8 page book report. It is due by the end of today, which I don't think is going to be too bad since I have a foundation and an organized bullet point questionnaire that I made back in September (?). The book I picked in August is Inferno by Dante. I have all the sections labelled out with sticky notes; there are six and I have read through...one. Procrastination is seriously going to wreck me. After I draw and cook dinner I have to finish this essay. Wish me luck!

Water is important! Always grab a bottle before sitting down to do anything~!

I had a small unused sketchbook in my little drawer of sketchbooks. Thought using something untouched might be a good idea, getting back into drawing by starting out clean. What are your thoughts on insects? Truthfully, I am both intrigued and terrified by them. They are interesting, but I don't want them near me, especially if they fly! AH! I decided to draw some cute little bumblebees before continuing my paper for today--simple, hairy beans.
    Name:  6IT9GLv.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  80.3 KB
    Picking Myself Up and Dusting Myself Off
    I actually thought of drawing bumble bees a couple days ago, I wanted to make some sort of coloring page-like drawing. Hmm, I might just do that tomorrow. I believe I only have an ASL test and a few discussion posts that I have to do, so there should be many hours in my day that I could use drawing.
    Last edited by AlFair; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:32 PM. Reason: The link keeps breaking. I reuploaded the picture.

Thanks
    I feel everything that you are saying here. I feel it very deeply. I am in exactly the situation you are. I've sat here all this time and let life pass me by, knowing deep down I've always wanted to draw. I want to do what I love to do, but self-doubt, depression, anxiety...these are all such strong things. My father passed away in August after battling cancer for 3 long years, and his passing hit me really hard (he was only 50). It made me sit down and think, do I want to just sit around wallowing in pity for myself? Or do I want to actually do something? Life isn't easy. The best laid plans are meaningless. My dad never expected to not see his retirement in the future despite planning for it. I want to just live. To draw and put my art out there. I don't think there's much of an audience to be had anymore, but maybe that's the cynical side of me. I've never garnered an audience with my art, but then again my art is trash. haha.

I wish you luck in your endeavor, and I can't wait to see what you have to show! I'll be following your sketchbook. You can look at mine if you want to as well. It's included in my signature at the bottom of this post. Keep on keeping on!
    ~Stephanie Cruz (aka Persephone Black)
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Persephone_Black For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not to undermine you or anything. But I think a bigger commitment would have been to have done some drawing rather than talking about it.

Oh no, now you're post has been edited to have a drawing in it so I look wrong. Oh noooooooo.
    Last edited by AJams; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    Woo. That took more time than I thought it would! Haha! After making a little character generator with some simple JavaScript, which took longer than I'd like to admit, I generated a character and drew him up for today!
    Name:  sZyN43L.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  125.4 KB
    Here's the creative process. The reason why the first full sketch is outlined is because on the back on that page I scribbled pencil down so I could cleanly transfer the sketch to the new page under it since my colored pencil and erasing kind of ruined that page. Plus, it is good that I outlined the first because I realized with that my fox just didn't look like a fox and that I needed to change his features to be more fox-like.
    Name:  WOTisSt.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  88.6 KBName:  z4iosbz.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  427.3 KBName:  CZqhkYn.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  52.9 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlFair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What does the fox say

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SirPent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @AJams
    Hmm, I think you might be misconstruing what my first post really is. The post is more of just a motivational speech to me telling myself that I need to do better and that I will as long as I let myself. It was just a speech with a promise that when I wake up in the morning I'll be putting drawing back into my daily routine. I'm not going to be posting old art because I haven't actually drawn in almost a year, so whatever level I was at, I know I'm not anymore and I should just be in the now and look towards the future. At least for now, when I feel like drawing is again part of my life and I feel better about my progress, I'll look back. But yeah, don't fret, I'll be posting and keeping my word and not just talk about it. It is the third day, so the real challenge hasn't even started since I am still in a beginning high.

Thanks
    @Persephone_Black
    I'm sorry to hear about your father. I hope that when you look back there are many happy memories to remember him by.

You're right, life is not easy. Everyone has their own definition of what 'easy' is, but it's the individual's point of view that matters most because they are the only one that can truely dictate which direction they want to push their life towards. I wish you just as much luck in your drawing journey as well as with your future endeavors! I won't lie, this place seems a little slow and with only a little bit of active users; however, that just means that your sketchbook is more for you and will take more of you to continuously update. Keep at drawing. Do it for you.

I'll definitely take a look at your sketchbook, as well. <3
    Last edited by AlFair; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    @SirPent
    Ah! What an awful song to be reminded of. You are a treacherous being because now that's all I think of when I see him. Haha. Seriously though, that's cute. :P
    Scream, by the way. They scream to the heavens. It's terrifying.

Thanks
    This sketch took me WAY too much time. I'll continue with this drawing tomorrow after school, hopefully finish it since the hardest part is out of the way. I'm sure with a second look tomorrow I'll be changing and fixing problems. Hmm, I might even add some actual bunnies. That would definitely deter from all the going to be yellow.
    Name:  bunyagiwip.png
Views: 571
Size:  157.1 KB
    I also need to do some figure studies to help with posing since that is one of the reasons why I had so much trouble. Additionally, I need to do fabric studies since it is evident that I need practice in that department, as well.

Thanks
    What I Learnt: Rabbits are a lot more square than I originally thought.
    What I Need to Study: Paws
    Name:  eClQhqy.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  482.4 KB
    I didn't do as much as I should have today both artistically and academically. I'm going to have to stay up and work on my research essay for English instead of sleeping. Things to do, need to stop procrastinating.

Thanks
    I think I may have forgotten how to properly gesture draw. I'll need to work on that.
    Name:  uyfg.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  27.6 KB

Thanks
    My suggestion is that you do your gestures with a black fineliner. or just black lines if you work digitally. It will improve your efficiency. Also that last image is barely visible. I like your bunnies

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @TheBigItch
    Thank you, and you're completely right. When I shrunk it down, my reaction was, "Oh, whoops." I decided to turn and work with gesture traditionally instead. I think doing it digitally may be hindering my ability to use my whole arm in the process and really get those points of action down. I took an art class last year and I still have paper left in my pad of newsprint, so I took that out, grabbed my easel, and some charcoal. I had forgot though about the feeling I get in my arm when I draw using an easel, it is kind of like a fuzzy bubble in my arm around my elbow--odd sensation. Truthfully, I'm gonna blame it on my lack of drawing and lack of drawing using my arm to create lines.
    Name:  oAFq5bd.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  447.7 KBName:  BxjeJlq.jpg
Size:  468.2 KBName:  ZNN9kwS.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  408.6 KBName:  96ihdwX.jpg
Size:  407.7 KBName:  dlUG7k4.jpg
Size:  421.2 KBName:  19qMu7O.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  385.8 KB
    I have a discussion post and a quiz to do, but I'll do some more gesture drawings afterwards.

Thanks
    Some more gesture practice for today. All one minute with some 30 seconds mixed in there. My last five minute one is awful. I'll need to work on that. My arm didn't act up as bad today, only slightly. I'll keep using my easel and get used to having my arm up while drawing.
    Name:  zaIEEtE.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  350.8 KBName:  9wZJ3EE.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  385.6 KBName:  MY8kiRH.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  380.2 KBName:  0DYhpHw.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  369.4 KBName:  p7hJDyw.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  335.4 KBName:  cQcfpVn.jpg
Size:  311.5 KBName:  j1MK8UO.jpg
Size:  339.1 KB
    Okay, so I have two essays and a discussion post...things to do, they'll get done.

Thanks
    Sweet
    Name:  e5rP2gt.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  99.9 KB

Thanks
    Name:  WWMSKwv.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  107.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  8v01a4b.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  254.7 KB
    Last edited by AlFair; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  GirlbyAlFair.png
Views: 265
Size:  349.3 KB

Thanks
    These are super! especially your gesture drawings

28. The Following User Says Thank You to EggsOnToast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  frauapfelbyalfair.png
Views: 218
Size:  440.2 KB

Thanks
    @EggsOnToast
    Thank you! I'll be sure to keep doing gesture drawings. My goal is to be able to draw more dynamic poses and I know that gesture drawings are going to seriously help me towards said goal.

Thanks
    Now that you've posted some work, those last two drawings are awesome yo. I think the girl with the bandaides' face looks a bit off, but overall I like it.

Thanks
    @AJams
    It took me a second to even remember how to get back into it. Thank you! And, I agree. I think it doesn't help that she has a kind of thousand-yard stare. She looks like she isn't all there. Might need to wave your hand in front of her face or snap a few times to get her attention.

Thanks
    In the middle of drawing some fanart. Doubt I'll finish it before I got to head to school, so a WIP. Here is a link to the reference.
    Name:  SpinKickWIP.png
Views: 197
Size:  165.9 KB

Thanks
    A few sketches to find out what I am drawing today.
    Name:  New Canvasuyyh.png
Views: 120
Size:  179.4 KB
    Sketch of the WIP:
    Name:  New CanvassgsgWIP.png
Views: 120
Size:  164.6 KB

Thanks
    Alright! Done.
    Name:  yellowjacketWIP0.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  82.3 KB