Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Beginning Anew

Thanks
    So I've been trying to refine this piece to use in my portfolio (for my observational studies). I started reworking the hair again, still watching tutorials on drawing hair so I can get that down. haha.

Name:  Head71_WIP_RESIZED.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  65.0 KB
    ~Stephanie Cruz (aka Persephone Black)
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just dropping by to say hi. The portrait is coming along nicely!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Just dropping by to say hi. The portrait is coming along nicely!
    Thank you!! I want to have some stuff up today on here. I saw your recent posts. I really like the gestures and the perspective.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Thanks! That's high praise to my mind. Gesture and perspective were really difficult for me to learn.

I look forward to seeing what you've been working on!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  PortraitStudy_Feb7th_2019RESIZED.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  39.8 KB

HA. FINALLY BACK TO DRAWING. Now that my wrist is feeling better. Here is my facebook page. I just made it for my art: https://www.facebook.com/PeresphoneBlackArt/
    Last edited by Persephone_Black; February 7th, 2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    I really like this one. It looks like you worked hard on it.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    I really like this one. It looks like you worked hard on it.
    Yeah, it was a lot of work. It took me four hours to get it done (I think it took me longer than usual because my friend was over and we were both drawing but getting distracted as well haha). I want to start doing more imaginative stuff though. I'm having a hard time finding a way to get in to composition and drawing from the imagination. Right now I've been using reference for studies.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    You said that you're having a hard time with drawing from the imagination, in what way? Can you elaborate?

I'm sure you know this but its perfectly fine to use reference, seems like a lot of advanced artists use it. As for composition; there's always a start right? Look into the rule of thirds, that might be a great starting point. I think experimentation is key and not worrying too much about screwing up, some composition tuts on youtube should point you in the right direction.
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to copaloro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copaloro View Post
    You said that you're having a hard time with drawing from the imagination, in what way? Can you elaborate?

I'm sure you know this but its perfectly fine to use reference, seems like a lot of advanced artists use it. As for composition; there's always a start right? Look into the rule of thirds, that might be a great starting point. I think experimentation is key and not worrying too much about screwing up, some composition tuts on youtube should point you in the right direction.
    For me it's like...I have all these ideas in my head for pieces and I want to draw them. However, my skill set has yet to reach the point where I can render these ideas on paper. So, I have a lot of ideas itching to get out from my imagination but then no real way to execute them properly. Composition, light, form, focal points...these are all things that I want to have nailed down in my final piece. Right now I mostly draw from reference. I really should be doing actual studies like other people do. Lately I've just been sitting down with a marker and quickly drawing doodles in my physical sketch book. I'll have to look for some tutorials! I found some inspiring things from ProkoTV about drawing from imagination and Alphonso Dunn about learning the rules of drawing and then forgetting them. I think that's another thing I get hung up on: following the rules for drawing. I don't know. I have to just keep going and not get discouraged!
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    To me it sounds like you have already taken an important step towards progress and advancement in your craft, realising that there are more advanced skills to learn and existing ones to sharpen or refine. I find myself using reference when I just want to draw something as I struggle with the same thing, it can be quite discouraging.. however I've taken some small adventurous expeditions into unknown territory by simply drawing weird, odd shapes and trying to use my current skill-set and memory to sketch something out, usually its faces or some random objects, animals etc, and what ive discovered is that in those moments my imagination fires up and i end up sketching something that is a mix between imagination and known information that I've acquired through my practice. I think you might just need to dip into some unknown territory and not worry about getting it perfect, that perfection will come eventually.

This vid helped me out the other day, not sure if it will in any way shape or form help you as well but... sharing helpful things is caring
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to copaloro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you're right! I'm really caught up in getting everything down perfectly that I'm not really getting out of my comfort zone and doing new things. Thank you for the video! I'll watch it today Sorry for taking so long to reply, the site appears to have been down for quite awhile! I was worried it was never going to come back!
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    You're most welcome, right, the site was down for so long it wasn't looking good, was so good seeing it back up again after the long wait.
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey, you're doing great! That last portrait looks amazing.

Don't be discouraged about drawing from imagination: vary the studies and your own thing and everything will start shaping up bit by bit. At least in my experience things just tend to click into place when you least expect them to.

Thanks
    Heyo, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Lots of great stuff here. I find I also get too caught up on exclusively working off references when I really want to do more imaginative work. I feel that struggle big time haha. One thing I find helpful is to change up something with the ref and incorporate something new- even if it's really small. Over time keep doing that and pushing to take more and more liberties each time!

The importance of abstraction/shape design as well as staying loose and not afraid as copaloro said above I find are huge keys ^^
    Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Thanks
    I always have a hard time deciding if I want to draw more serious things or more cartoonish things. Honestly. I want to make gorgeous serious looking art, like Yoshitaka Amano and Ayami Kojima, but when my brain is stressed I find making more cartoonish concepts is a lot of fun. So tonight I got to work in my "junk" sketchbook. I'm working on this concept for a painting of this lil devil mama. Something is deff off with her leg but I need to find a pin up pose to reference for her. Right now she's just ideas on paper.

Name:  DevilGirlConcept_March1st_2019.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  54.5 KB
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 2,566 Posts
    I read your first post / introduction post

After agonizing over it for years, I've decided I want to continue on my original goal to become a professional artist. I know it's not a job that makes you any kind of money (as I have been told my entire life which is what forced me to quit my pursuit the first time). But it's fulfilling to me and it's something I have a passion for.

I am thinking the same way.

I like your sketchbook, we can motivate each other,
    I need people who are willing to draw and paint from time to time
    and keep up with a not too intense pace, so we could motivate each other by commenting
    and sharing certain suggestions and advice through our regular sketchbook visits.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you need to be free to draw whatever you want. I used to call myself a perfectionist. Perfectionism is the single greatest deterrent to progress because it breeds procrastination. My sister was talking the other night about some movie she didn't like and she said "If you aren't going to do it right, then you shouldn't do it at all." I used to agree with that, but not anymore. That's the kind of thinking that keeps people in a constant state of inaction. I will make crap everyday if it keeps me from making nothing. Post those shitty scribbles. Because there will always be harsh criticism of your work. Even when you make a multi-million dollar movie. At least at this point you're basically unknown so the critics are few.

You've gotta feed your soul to be happy in life. The creative process is a huge part of that. You'll also start to notice (if you haven't already) that this art form is extremely intimate. Through it you can accidentally reveal aspects of your soul in ways that would send most people screaming in the other direction. Especially given the world stage. It's extremely unnerving. Most people won't really notice that that's what's going on however. They'll just be like "that's true to life." It'll resonate but they won't know why.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
    I think you need to be free to draw whatever you want. I used to call myself a perfectionist. Perfectionism is the single greatest deterrent to progress because it breeds procrastination. My sister was talking the other night about some movie she didn't like and she said "If you aren't going to do it right, then you shouldn't do it at all." I used to agree with that, but not anymore. That's the kind of thinking that keeps people in a constant state of inaction. I will make crap everyday if it keeps me from making nothing. Post those shitty scribbles. Because there will always be harsh criticism of your work. Even when you make a multi-million dollar movie. At least at this point you're basically unknown so the critics are few.

You've gotta feed your soul to be happy in life. The creative process is a huge part of that. You'll also start to notice (if you haven't already) that this art form is extremely intimate. Through it you can accidentally reveal aspects of your soul in ways that would send most people screaming in the other direction. Especially given the world stage. It's extremely unnerving. Most people won't really notice that that's what's going on however. They'll just be like "that's true to life." It'll resonate but they won't know why.
    I agree with you. Perfectionism has definitely held me back a ton. I'm so afraid of making a mistake that I don't even start. I look back at 2012 when I drew a ton and I saw how many ideas I was generating. Sure, the artwork wasn't very good but I had fun making it. I was painting canvases and making little monster creatures and filling sketchbooks. I did my most drawing at that time. It was when I decided I wanted to make it a career that I started focusing on perfectionism and that has lead me to stagnate. I'm a science major now (graduating this May) but I don't really have a passion for it. I make good grades and I do decent science work, but it doesn't actually make me feel good like art does. I want to feed my soul. I started taking a wellness class for my last elective and we've been learning about art and wellness and how important creativity is. Even if a ton of people don't end up commenting in my sketchbook I can't hold back. I have to just draw because it makes me happy.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPlissken View Post
    I read your first post / introduction post

After agonizing over it for years, I've decided I want to continue on my original goal to become a professional artist. I know it's not a job that makes you any kind of money (as I have been told my entire life which is what forced me to quit my pursuit the first time). But it's fulfilling to me and it's something I have a passion for.

I am thinking the same way.

I like your sketchbook, we can motivate each other,
    I need people who are willing to draw and paint from time to time
    and keep up with a not too intense pace, so we could motivate each other by commenting
    and sharing certain suggestions and advice through our regular sketchbook visits.
    Thank you! I think that would be cool, to motivate one another in art by drawing regularly and visiting each other's sketchbooks. I'm down! I like drawing and being motivated by others.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Persephone_Black For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone_Black View Post
    I look back at 2012 when I drew a ton and I saw how many ideas I was generating. Sure, the artwork wasn't very good but I had fun making it. I was painting canvases and making little monster creatures and filling sketchbooks. I did my most drawing at that time. It was when I decided I wanted to make it a career that I started focusing on perfectionism and that has lead me to stagnate.
    One thing I've discovered is that willpower doesn't really count for much. Public shame on the other hand, that's a motivator. I'm kind of a proud person. I have no right to be, but I can't help myself. So what I do is say something like "I'm going to start a YouTube channel this Monday." I say it on a public forum like this. I announce it to members of my family and co-workers alike.

Guess who has a youtube channel now. Yeah. Never saw that coming.

I say something like "I'm waking up tomorrow at 4:00 A.M. to draw." Guess who wakes up at 4:00 A.M. to draw. Obviously I'm the only one that cares if I follow through on any of that because people just expect you to fail because they do. That's life.

So check this out. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to post a picture of a study done in oil paint in my sketchbook. I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do. But there's going to be one tomorrow morning. Wait and see.

It's that easy. Suddenly it doesn't matter how much willpower I have. I've gotta hit the paints now. Think of something you really want to do and try this out. Remember when you did those ten heads? Same kind of deal. You announced it and followed through.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
    One thing I've discovered is that willpower doesn't really count for much. Public shame on the other hand, that's a motivator. I'm kind of a proud person. I have no right to be, but I can't help myself. So what I do is say something like "I'm going to start a YouTube channel this Monday." I say it on a public forum like this. I announce it to members of my family and co-workers alike.

Guess who has a youtube channel now. Yeah. Never saw that coming.

I say something like "I'm waking up tomorrow at 4:00 A.M. to draw." Guess who wakes up at 4:00 A.M. to draw. Obviously I'm the only one that cares if I follow through on any of that because people just expect you to fail because they do. That's life.

So check this out. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to post a picture of a study done in oil paint in my sketchbook. I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do. But there's going to be one tomorrow morning. Wait and see.

It's that easy. Suddenly it doesn't matter how much willpower I have. I've gotta hit the paints now. Think of something you really want to do and try this out. Remember when you did those ten heads? Same kind of deal. You announced it and followed through.
    Public shame has never worked for me, and that's because I'm pretty shameless. haha If I say I'm going to do something and tell everyone and then don't follow through, I never lost sleep over it. It's probably a bad thing but that's how I've always been. The only person or thing which can motivate me, is me. Nothing else matters to me. XD I can't wait to see what you post! Link your sketchbook here or on your profile and I'll go and check it out! I might draw something tomorrow. I haven't drawn in a long while because I've been working on a lot of school work (I'm a science student, my speciality is environmental science). I've also been doing a ton of volunteer work (outdoor, back breaking kind of stuff haha).
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Get some art here , I want to see it!!!!
    DrAwing and painting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPlissken View Post
    Get some art here , I want to see it!!!!
    DrAwing and painting.
    I promise to have some stuff up tomorrow! I need to get back in to drawing everyday. I was in pain last week (and part of this week) from swinging a big ole pickaxe around for a few hours. Fun times hahahaha
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Persephone_Black For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3