Thanks

Critique on demon dog, please!

Name:  83D74577-F641-4082-A7D3-6D19F475CDD9.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  327.4 KB

Hi,

Iím new to this forum and Iíve been painting digitally for acouple of months. Iíve been trying to move away from outlining. Iíve used the greyscale method and colored the dog afterwards.

I would love love some feedback on everything from shading to coloring. Iím also having trouble with harsh edges. I think the trouble is that I used a mask when both coloring and shading. Do I use a feather tool afterwards to smoothen out the edges or should I not use masks at all?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've never used masks for drawings so I can't really answer that question. But I think it does leave a rather artificial? look to the image. But if that's how you want to go about thing I'm sure you can learn how to get the technique down.

Right now I would rather talk about the overall image. The dog looks a bit too lumpy, and undefined. I know it's supposed to be a gross mutant, but even that needs to be someone grounded and show knowledge of the underlying dog anatomy. Then there's the teeth, which are all warped, again, I understand the intention but they don't really register as teeth the way they are distorted. They look more like tentacles. I suggest you put some harder edges around the outline of the mouth as well, because the teeth just appear to be jutting out of the dogs face. I do like the way you did the eyes, makes the dog look like an angry sonic.

Closing words, look at pictures of dogs, get lots of pictures of dogs - and use those as a reference. It doesn't matter if your dog is a demon or an alien or whatever it still needs to get that structure right.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with Ajams. This is less of a demon dog and more of a demon moldy tater-tot. Nothing wrong with that, persay, but if you want this thing to look like a dog, you've got to have some understanding of canine anatomy. The legs especially...This looks like it could be based off a bulldog or something. Get some pictures of them and really take a look at how their body is structured under all that bulk.

Name:  220px-Axel,_the_English_Bulldog.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  24.7 KB
    Name:  CH_Buck_and_Sons_Evita_Peron.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  262.3 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

rat

Thanks
    Agreed with the above users on using more canine anatomy. A few other aspects I'd keep in mind deal with the practicality of the creature's lower tusks and the background color/texture of the canvas. Focusing on the teeth, I find the crooked shapes a bit distracting from the demon's overall shape. Going too far with twisty teeth begins to beg the question: would this feature wind up further harming/be a detriment to your creature in daily life? Therefore, I'd keep in mind the practice of mindful design choices (unless, of course, your intention is to make him all-out unrealistic!). On the subject of the background; it plays just as big a role as your foreground on selling a creature design. I can tell you wanted the background to be complimentary/add to the aesthetic. However, relying too heavily on texture and saturated color has made the demon dog slightly lost in all the rich colors. Try to stick with more desaturated colors with the color pallet you've chosen for this guy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    I've never used masks for drawings so I can't really answer that question. But I think it does leave a rather artificial? look to the image. But if that's how you want to go about thing I'm sure you can learn how to get the technique down.

Right now I would rather talk about the overall image. The dog looks a bit too lumpy, and undefined. I know it's supposed to be a gross mutant, but even that needs to be someone grounded and show knowledge of the underlying dog anatomy. Then there's the teeth, which are all warped, again, I understand the intention but they don't really register as teeth the way they are distorted. They look more like tentacles. I suggest you put some harder edges around the outline of the mouth as well, because the teeth just appear to be jutting out of the dogs face. I do like the way you did the eyes, makes the dog look like an angry sonic.

Closing words, look at pictures of dogs, get lots of pictures of dogs - and use those as a reference. It doesn't matter if your dog is a demon or an alien or whatever it still needs to get that structure right.
    hi,

Thanks for the reply and the excellent feedback. Iíve never really thought about going at it that way which is newbie of course but itís an area where I can improve. Looking at reference images of dogs sounds obvious of course but Iíve never thought about. But Iím stoked now which is a good thing.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    I agree with Ajams. This is less of a demon dog and more of a demon moldy tater-tot. Nothing wrong with that, persay, but if you want this thing to look like a dog, you've got to have some understanding of canine anatomy. The legs especially...This looks like it could be based off a bulldog or something. Get some pictures of them and really take a look at how their body is structured under all that bulk.
    Hi, the bulldog idea is right on the spot! Thanks for the images. And the feedback!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamatalis View Post
    Agreed with the above users on using more canine anatomy. A few other aspects I'd keep in mind deal with the practicality of the creature's lower tusks and the background color/texture of the canvas. Focusing on the teeth, I find the crooked shapes a bit distracting from the demon's overall shape. Going too far with twisty teeth begins to beg the question: would this feature wind up further harming/be a detriment to your creature in daily life? Therefore, I'd keep in mind the practice of mindful design choices (unless, of course, your intention is to make him all-out unrealistic!). On the subject of the background; it plays just as big a role as your foreground on selling a creature design. I can tell you wanted the background to be complimentary/add to the aesthetic. However, relying too heavily on texture and saturated color has made the demon dog slightly lost in all the rich colors. Try to stick with more desaturated colors with the color pallet you've chosen for this guy.
    hi, I really enjoyed your feedback. Your thoughts about the background and the colors is really interesting. I really didnít give it much thought but of course itís important. I will give it extra thought in the future.

Thsnks!

Thanks
    My suggestion is study some bones as well muscles https://boneclones.com/category/dogs...=1&pageSize=30
    Edit: Another suggestion is not to use any masks or feather tools as those are going to get in way of painting, I'm not telling you should stop experimenting with tools but don't rely, agree what AJ said about artificial look, there is not edge variation http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ips-and-Tricks also don't forget traditional drawing as it fundamental skill to have even if you do digital start cranking up studies and make sketchbook
    Last edited by stonec; 1 Week Ago at 09:33 PM.