Thanks

Need feedback on my illustration

Hey all! I would like to recieve some feedback on my latest illustration, especially on colors,lightning and shadow, and how to make them more believable.
    Thanks!

Name:  sven-makic-cold-night.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  116.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Mark your horizon line and then draw a line that represents gravity. Then mirror flip your image. You'll find that all is not as it should be.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you! Good tip!

Thanks
    When doing a piece that extends to the edge of the canvas, especially one like this, in which the setting is so important, be sure to continue the painting all the way to the edge. Sometimes it helps to work bigger then crop down if you have "edge fear". I often catch myself doing that too. It's particularly distracting on the left side of the canvas.

As far as colors go, it's a little tough to give advice because we're looking at fantasy elements. What color skin are the characters supposed to have? Is our main dude a bluish grey, and the toothy troll head a more natural color? If you really want to get a convincing look, here's an experiment to try! Paint a 3-d object (or you can use materials and lighting in a program like blender) like a ball the local color (meaning the base color) of your characters, then light it with a bluish white light from a distance. You can really see what happens when those colors combine both in highlight and in darkness. But that's a lot of effort and I'm sure you just want some basic feedback :p

I'm not sure what's suggested by the spire shapes in the background, and I think it might be a bit too green in that area. Shadows on the figure are too black imo. While it seems like a shadow would be the blackest black under moonlight, it's actually in more of a shade because the light from the moon isn't as harsh as sunlight. I think it'll be more convincing if you introduce some bounce-light and hue changes that reflect the color of the moonlight in those shadow shapes.

At first I thought they were on a high-slope mountain, but now I see that the clouds are parallel to the ground. I agree with David, the way the head and the loincloth are hanging don't agree with the gravity of this scene.

You have an opportunity to really push the sense of atmosphere in this image since they're in snow. The hood looks like it's being blown by wind, but the loincloth is hanging downward. You could introduce some bits of snowflakes drifting around the figure, maybe sticking to their clothes/hair. I'd also take a look at some feet crunching down into snow. It kind of looks like his feet and ankles are submerged in quicksand at the moment. Usually a perfect footprint is smashed into fresh snow. Opportunities for cool color play comes in with snow too. Lots of blue hues.

Hope that helps!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you very much, this is the type of feedback I want!
    The part with a 3D object is very good advice, and it isnt too much effort, its excatly what I need!
    Thanks once again, really helpful!