Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 639 Posts

EOW/IDW 326: Water Matador Wharf

EOW/IDW 326: Water Matador Wharf

Topic: Water Matador Wharf

A water matador is an aquatic version of a matador on the land, and this colorful wharf is home to the world's best water matadors. Instead of bullfighting, these matadors are going up against the largest beasts the ocean has to offer -- titans of the sea!

What type of culture do these water matadors participate in, what's the risk of competing on the wharf? Just how gargantuan are the beasts they are trying to tame for the public's entertainment? Is this a civilization built entirely on water?

Environment Assignments:
    Design three environments of your choice and focus on the storytelling elements. If you need assistance, I'd be happy to suggest some ideas!

Check out the Industrial Design of the week link, which is to design a water matador's watercraft:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post4066706

Expectations of the Client

-
    To qualify for the poll, complete all three concepts. They must be final and portfolio-ready, but if they are half-done but look developed enough, we will let them go to poll.
    -If you finish two out of three, or even one out of three, consider this a victory for you and your portfolio development -- or just for fun in general. This is a four week project that's meant to challenge participants and encourage them to produce portfolio-grade work. Artists in the EOW have been asking for something like this for years and many have gone on to become a force in the concept art industry.

Deadline: You will have FOUR weeks to finish your assignment. Due 11/30/2018

Good luck and give feedback to others!
    Last edited by Vulgar`; October 31st, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love it. Sorry I haven't had time to participate in the last two, but I'm making it a point to be in for this one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great, Corrick! If you have time, could you also give some feedback to edgarej for his entry for last month's? Much appreciated!

Throwing around some ideas for concepts:

Watercraft Shipwreck/Junkyard on the beach. If the matadors don't make it, they're eaten or thrown hundreds of feet into the air or they manage to dive into the water. Their crafts are beaten into bits and pieces. This is where the materials go, an area of the beach where they can be salvaged, recovered, repaired, or stored for later use.

The Arena - Depending on how you approach this design, this pier/wharf/harbor area could be inside of a manmade, artificial barrier island. The sea titans are kept inside underwater holding facilities, cages, or are free to come and go as they please with the promise of food or colors (matador red). How large is the perimeter of this arena? Is there seating for an audience? Is it exposed to the weather or is there a dome?

- Water Matador souvenir shop. A place to buy memorabilia, confections, fake trophies, and big blow-up versions of the sea titans and/or heroes of the wharf.

Lifeguard's Post - The lifeguards for the water matador arena are armed with much more than just a lifesaver raft and a whistle. They are probably well-armoured, enhanced with technology, have pretty large harpoons or stun guns, and can definitely swim well. Their presence and tower-like locations keep a lookout and provide safety/assurance for water matadors.

Sea Titan's Lair - Where are these abnormally large creatures being kept? Is it deep underwater or near the shore? Are they an exotic foreign export? Now what's the lair look like.
    Last edited by Vulgar`; November 1st, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Website

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sounds awesome Vulgar. Work has been kicking my ass lately, so I haven't been able to do much of anything. Sometimes taking on a new position with more responsibility just gets crazy really quick.

So Over lunch I came up with a few concepts.

1. Matador Wharves - The Grand Sphere arena. The wharves radiate out from a spherical arena that is both above and below the water. The Wharves are where the Matadors live and train, and it is basically a floating city. The Arena in the middle is enormous, with buildings built off it, both above water and below. It has large openings in the undersea dome that allow the denizens of the deep to enter when there are games or matador challenges to be played. The city travels around the world's oceans to find different types of oceanic life to build challenges around.

a. The Matadors - The matadors wear sort of water jet propulsion iron man suits, but instead of energy, they shoot out water like a jet ski, or a skidoo. The suits are very specific and have strict requirements for each category of matador. The typical setup is Back Propulsion Water Jets for the Main Movement (the jets shoot toward the feet and the head is up/forward). There are jets on the hands and feet that can move the matador laterally or axially, or help with "forward" movement.

2. The Matador Challenges. Simple idea, different creatures require different challenges or games, with differing levels of skill to complete objectives.

a. Machmori Darts - The Machmori is a sea creature that has projectile spines that inject paralytic poison into it's victims. Machmori darts is a game where the objective is to attract a Machmori, lead it into the arena where differing heights and sized targets are pre-positioned. The Matador then antagonizes the Machmori to shoot off a spine, which the Matador must dodge. The trick for the Matador is the position. In order to score points, the projected spine must hit one of the targets. Points are awarded for accuracy within a given target, % of projected darts to hit targets, and distance of target placement.

b. Kemari Chase - The Kemari is an extremely fast and agile sea-goer. Pre-determined routes are placed within the arena one for the Kemari and one for the Matador. The Kemari is lured in using a strobe drone, and sent blazing through a series of rings that constitute it's route. The Matador must give chase, catch-up to and hand tag the Kemari with adhesive flags each time their respective routes intersect. The more flags placed, the more points. Think of this as a slalom course, except instead of one skier you would have two crossing in opposite directions and they have to high five each time they criss-cross.

c. Summoning Xelaphon - The most dangerous game. The Xelaphon is king of the deep oceans. It is the only game of the myriad of games, not played within the arena. The Matador must dive down into the deep ocean, and extend colorful streamers from the suit. This will lure a Xelaphon in, and the danger really begins. The Matador must dodge the Xelaphon while slowly ascending from the depths, managing air supply, and power within the suit. When the Matador reaches 50m from the surface, they must lure the Xelaphon to breach, by travelling in a straight line up and out of the water. This is made difficult because as the Xelaphon opens it's mouth to swallow prey, the massive opening creates an opposing directional flow in the water and slows the Matador. The timing of this maneuver must be precise or the Matador will never make the surface. Many Matadors have gone down to challenge the Xelaphon only to meet their end just before the breach.
    Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; November 2nd, 2018 at 01:30 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I make 2-3 designs must they be completely different environments or same environment, different points of view?
    Am considering trying at least 1 design just for lols now that I have some time back

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow Flame_Unquenchable, those are awesome!!! I love it.

Trixstar, they can be the same environment, different points of view.
    Website

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @flame_unquenchable
    I am super excited to see what you make of all that, you have a great imagination.
    But reading your description, I'm sort of starting to consider if my idea of "wharf" is wrong, or is it flexible for interpretation? Like, isn't it a place where you park huge ships?

Thanks
    Trixtar

"A wharf is a platform built on the shore that extends over the surface of the water."

I interpreted a wharf as something extending from a fixed or stable structure that could take in ships to be a wharf. I don't know if you've ever seen Stargate: Atlantis, but that is sort of the inspiration for the sphere. Attached an image. The city arena would have wharves or protrusions out from the center to take in ships of various sizes to receive cargo, or people, or just for small transport vessels that would go around the floating city.

Name:  48bc457c33fa3d1023c0df75e5f5ce3f.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  18.4 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the explanation and the Stargate-image, it helps a lot
    I wish SGA had more footage from these wharfs, they would have been convenient for inspiration.... Guess I'll have to settle with boring "real life" xD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is hard....

I was inspired by my parents' goldfishes, they have a pipe in the water that goes above ground so the fishes swim there to look at the world... So the arena is basically under water and the fight area is in the pipe, and they smack asses on birds (my parents' fishes get eaten by birds), so kind of like Find Nemo, this is just Nemo Smacking Butt instead.The arena fish-spectators are sitting in the black areas, they are supposed to be full of water, and the white area is a "waterless aquarium" where the birds live... But the birds would drown in the pipe in the fight so I don't know how to make them both survive. Alternatively they get eaten by a snake that mom claims can swim, but I hate snakes and would be very reluctant to find references for them....

Gawd I'm not sure this holds up, but the best I could come up with for days! Did any of this even make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Redoing....

The matadors are mostly stupid tourists who wanna show off, to much amusement to the citizens of this town.
    People are gathering on the rocks to watch the fights because the government is not allowing it to be an official event, but they are not making it illegal either as it's a good business.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Perspective should have been double checked while painting

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ...Is there at all anyone else doing this challenge?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is it December already. Yeesh. Sorry to have ghosted this thread, a lot of things decided to come up all at once in November. Sorry Vulgar'. I have a few half-hearted sketches started, but looks like I'm going to have to beg forgiveness this time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    No prob!
    Website