Thanks

The Witch's Offering

Howdy friends, just wanted to share a piece I'm working on, inspired by an Inktober prompt, "Offering". I recently got a screen tablet and have really been enjoying the new process. I used several references for the piece, and tried to attain a convincing sense of firelight. I'll be returning to clean up edges later, but this is where I'm stopping for now. Done in Photoshop on an Artisul D10 tablet

Edit: I'm having resolution issues with my tablet as it's apparently at a lower resolution than my computer monitor, which is causing details to be lost. I'll be modifying my workflow in the next piece I do
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mangosalsa; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:07 AM. Reason: new image
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the ear is too big, and you are not clear with your planes, where does light come from?

Thanks
    I think it reads well, but to me there seems to be a disconnect that happens because she has scissors and is wearing non-modern clothes. I have no idea when scissors were invented of course, but this is looking kind of dark ages-ish to me. A knife would also be more ceremonial.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    "The earliest known scissors appeared in Mesopotamia 3,000 to 4,000 years ago." thats what wikipedia has on that issue.

i like the idea and the story it conveys. also the mood and composition.

structurally it has its issues though. the kettle is tilted, and the rough-in doesnt make that much sense valuewise.

looking forward to the progress
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Damn! That's a long time ago. That just convoluted the aesthetic of my entire timeline. The world just has way too much information out there.
    Last edited by David_a_ray; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:45 PM. Reason: A knife would be more ceremonial...
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    You guys gave me some excellent feedback! I've been going a little nuts only seeing likes and sweet nothings on Instagram without useful crits, so thank you!

vodka: I just had to laugh, you are so right, her ear is huge!
    David: Interesting take, witches are very anachronistic at this point. Ancient looking cauldrons and ritual objects combined with Tarot apps on smartphones are pretty typical. It's tough to give context for all of that in a standalone image. I'll try to give more of a hint of the vaguely current time period with more details in her dress and setting.
    sone: You're absolutely right, the ellipse of the cauldron is very off. That's what I get for not taking the time to establish perspective in the image. Also, thanks for the wikinugget. Humanity is truly fascinating.

To address your suggestions about the lighting, I did a simple render in Blender to give myself a better reference. I've used too much reflective light on her lower half, and lit the scene too much in general. I've also added shading on the wrong sides of the forms. I've not used this method before, but man is it useful! The future is awesome.

Name:  cauldron lighting reference.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  47.5 KB

Thanks
    Name:  cauldronofferingnew2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  69.3 KB
    I worked a bit more on the piece using my prefabbed sculpts in blender as lighting reference, but I'm frustrated after realizing the resolution is different on my display tablet from my laptop monitor, so it's way grainier. I've been using the extended display, to try to get more mileage out of my screens, but I guess from here on out I'll need to use duplicate displays to be sure that I'm not losing a bunch of detail. Because I'm so frustrated with the piece I'm probably not going to work on it anymore, in favor of using this as a stepping stone toward more successful and better composed work in the future. If you still feel compelled to leave feedback, I'd certainly read it and be appreciative. Thanks for your help guys

Thanks
    I did a sketch to improve the head a little bit,
    you made the ear size okay, but ear sits on angle behind the jaw, actually, women's can have more tilt than men beacuse of softer jaw line ,and ear should be treated like other forms, it has planes and in this case ear hole part will be completely in shadow because of light coming from below, when eye looks down you should see the upper lid fully, and you need some skull in the back of the head, and upper lip will catch light, also you made the philtrum a little bit longer(sorry for the sloppy drawing, I haven't yet used to a tablet)