Thanks

Composition advice please

Name:  IMG_20181108_000547.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  134.2 KB
    So I got to the rendering part on this and I'm not sure how how I should finish. everybody is wearing black or grey and I don't want it to get too muddy but I'm not sure the best way to do that . I'm considering having the shirts of the the two outside figures darker and the inside figure lighter. Would appreciate any and all advice or suggestions and feedback. hopefully all three figures actually show up after I post this I'm only seen two on my screen but maybe cuz I'm just using a little bitty tablet.
    Last edited by Krys; 1 Week Ago at 03:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The guy looks like he has balls for a chin, a testichin if you want. His hand also looks a bit lumpy. Make sure your drawing looks correct before rendering.

Thanks
    To answer your question: This is where the concept of Values (dark/light) comes into play. Since we're unable to capture the full range of value we find in nature with a pencil we have to invent relative values. To do this we start by determining where we want to look. That will be the place of highest contrast. Everywhere else will be lower in contrast than that area. Basically, if an area doesn't look bright enough, make the area around it darker. Go slowly and gently while building up your shadows.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    While AJam's comment is a bit rude, I do agree that the guy's face is pretty wonky, and you focused a bit too much on the prickliness of his chin. The relative proportion of the heads is also way off. The kid's head would be giant in comparison to dad, ditto for mom. Lighting is a bit of a challenge since you're working from two different references with different light sources, and neither of them are easily composed. I'd go with as close to directional outdoor lighting as you can. I did a rough draw over for you to resize the proportions of the heads, and show you the angles of the faces. I drew what I would use as light and shadow shape in red. Hope it helps

Name:  familydrawover.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  263.0 KB
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    @mangosalsa do you mean the red to be highlights not shadow? Because thats a very bizarre way to light a scene if the red shapes are shadows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I should have drawn separate colors for shadow and light. It's a bit of both. Just use it as a general reference for where the shadow and light interacts with form, and where the darker colors are (like the hair)
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Ty for the feedback

Thanks
    Ty David. I havenít gotten to the value studies yet that helps.

Thanks
    TYVM mangosalsa. Your help with the lighting is a big. I hadnít noticed the disproportion of the helment. I did intend for moms had to be larger. I wanted it to look as though she was whispering out of the picture ďlook at the shit I have to put upĒ. I havenít completely given up onthe idea. Iíll probably do the picture all over again and see what I come up with. Thank you so much for the specific feedback and help itís greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    While AJam's comment is a bit rude
    You're right I'm sorry.

So I'm assuming that these are photos that were sent into you to draw from as a commission or something? I think a lot of the problem comes from the photos you have to work from being a little less than ideal. I think it would be very hard to get a drawing of the kid in the motorcycle helmet to look recognizable from that reference (although you could make the nose a bit wider). Anyway, I said what I said earlier because I think you need to get the structure down before you can make a good likeness.

Thanks
    No worries. Theyíre a picture of my daughter and her family. I donít have any family photos so I wanted to create one. The pictures easily recognizable since itís the main photo on their Facebook page so my grandson not to be recognizable not so much a big deal. The main thing I wanted to capture was just the interaction between the father and the son but also have my daughter having some sort of interaction with them.

As for the chin I think sometimes I get so wrapped up in trying to fix something that I donít notice what it really looks like after Iím done messing with it. Iím just relieved to be done with it and that I donít look back. Iíve been drawing a little less than a year so Iím making a lot of rookie mistakes hopefully with the critiques and feedback I can learn what my mistakes are and stop making them. So again thank you for the feedback itís part of my growth.

Thanks
    Name:  Adobe_20181101_011522.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  62.1 KBI'm rethinking the layout. if I move my daughter forward more and make her larger perhaps that will convey the message that I'm trying to create. I guess the message is something like see the s*** I put up with or now I've got two boys.

Thanks
    I get it, I can get stuck on certain details for ages, then pull away and realize that I've just made things even more wrong. I think re configuring the composition is a good idea. Because previously it just kind of looked like she was tagging along on the back of the motorcycle. To be successful I think you really need to get that facial expression working.

Thanks
    Yeah I wasnít as crazy about the composition as I thought I was earlier. She looked Disjointed, like she was just thrown into the picture and I really wanted it to look more cohesive. And youíre right that look is key to the story. So grateful for all the input I think itís going to make it even more successful than I had originally anticipated in addition to what Iíve learned.

Thanks
    Attachment 2305038My biggest question is how can I make Dad stand out a little more. what can I do to increase the contrast on dad. I tried darkening like the eyelids but I'm not happy with how that looks. I'm doing it over again and I've decided I'm going to change his shirt to a white T-shirt to help reduce the muddiness but it still don't know how I can make him stand out. I think Mom and the son are standing out pretty good but I'd like a little more attention on dad,. Im just not sure how to do it. I also decided to add a colored background, I think it makes the individual stand out more but sure would appreciate any feedback critique suggestions ideas etcetera.

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20181108_031814.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  84.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20181109_034239.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  181.9 KB

Thanks
    I think the shirt design is hogging to much of the focus, also now it looks like the mother's head is coming out of the fathers leg. I'de say tone down the contrast, give his shirt a more toned down design also give her a body.