Thread: The Hunt

Thanks

The Hunt

Hello everyone!
    I have been recently getting back into art more seriously after a few years of working in different fields, and I've been working on some sketches and ideas from the past I liked enough to upgrade. And what better way to make sure these look good in the end than plunge straight into this forum with a critique request, right?

The below concept art is based on the idea of a certain planet "importing" different kinds of "prey" and "hunters" from different times and universes for a big hunt. Kind of a Battle Royale through the ages thing. The vehicle was actually a low-poly 3D model first that I incorporated and painted over afterwards.

In this particular piece, I am quite happy with its current overall composition, however, I would be grateful for a fresh pair of eyes to look for any areas that may strike as incorrect, to catch some mistakes and problems that I did not. BTW I am aware that the size of the dinosaurs in a normal forest would be bigger, but this is not a forest on Earth, so this particular one is intentional.

Thank you!

Name:  The_Hunt_copy.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  429.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am having a little issue with sizing and perspective. In terms of I know how big a dino is, but the trees make it seem like they are 6ft tall given the distance to the tank thing which must be golden retriever sized.. Maybe that's the aim, but it seems off.

You could do well with some tracks from the tank.

Over all not bad.. a little washed out for me.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for taking your time to comment, modi123!

In terms of sizing just as I mentioned - this is not Earth forest, so the scale is different. Maybe the grass is a bit too tall and is suggesting the size there too much? I can certainly check how it would look with slightly bigger dinos as well.

Your point about the tracks is spot on - I'll definitely add them when I find a moment, and see how it looks.

Regarding washed out look- is that about the background? (did I overdo the mist I was going for?) Or is this about overall colour palette used?

Thanks
    What if the mist was a more sci-fi color, like a blue or purple? I do think modi is getting at too much white, it's starting to look a bit cottonish. In general there's too much white in the composition. I'd revisit your highlights, and think about what color the lighting is. Also consider what color the sky should be in the distance. I'd add a couple more reflective layers to the shiny bulbs on the trees. They're not quite convincing me as shiny yet. Maybe use photoshop magic to reflect the tank on them?

I don't know if you really care about the narrative, but at the moment, I'm not really understanding what the implied moment is supposed to be. The gun is pointed at the dinos who are fighting. Is it supposed to suggest that the tank is going to shoot them while they're fighting? Is it supposed to be an airy scene, or a moment of foreshadowing? The mood/placement of the figures is a little vague.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, mangosalsa!

I would like to keep the ground white, as I like the slightly mystical fantasy feel it gives me, but I'll do some research into painting snow to see if I could add some colour into it while keeping it this way.

The tank's pilots certainly don't have friendly intentions toward the dinos. Perhaps making the shadows deeper at the tank's location would help in hinting this...

I'll try out your suggestions this coming weekend to see what works for me as well.