Thanks

Who can help me find more art like this?

Hey there,

I found and artist online and in particular this project by him. For a school project I have to write about art in current times, and I decided to write about young artists. Does anyone know of any young artists that make similar work? I am looking for things that are conceptual, not so much visual. Most work I find is very visual, or doesn't make sense. The artist mentioned above is Melle Nieling.

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Please do not muddle conceptual art with concept art. While some conceptual art does have merit, on this forum we are concerned with art development pertaining to computer games etc. We encourage all art that focuses in the direction of looking like what you expect, it is not self limiting. Instead of searching for contemporary art where no actual craft is required to produce, search for those artists that are shaping the world via games, cartoons, animation etc. There's a whole art world out there that makes money and is awesome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im with Black Spot. There's a whole world of young artists in our current times that you'll never hear about in art school. They're always a decade or two behind, you see.

The conceptual artist may ask,
    "What does it even mean to display art?"
    but does not ask first: "Is my art worth displaying?". That, he assumes.

If you're really interested, though, try ilikethisart.net. It's full of this stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was actually in contact with the artist in question through his contact form, before. His exhibition has a direct link to a game that is still under development. He really plays with reality/virtuality. Imo a game that's just for entertainment and profit couldn't ever reach that level.

Name:  MoMA-at-the-Bank_3d-teaser.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  59.6 KB

I'll try and ask him what he thinks about the question "Is my art worth displaying?"

I'm sorry though that I didn't understand the nature of these forums, my bad.

Thanks
    Games and movies are recognized as art all the time. Why do people go to museums and galleries if not to be entertained? Is immersing yourself in art not considered entertainment anymore? Is it only art if the artist gained nothing from making it? Monetary value isn't the only way you could profit from your creation. Fame, recognition, reputation, these are all things you could stand to gain in making art.

That said, if you don't want to be sneered at for writing about "just" an animator or game dev, I'd look into the pop-art crowd. Someone inspired by Warhol, Haring, or Lichtenstein might be more appropriate to the parameters of your assignment.

Personally I think everyone has the potential of creativity in them, but I don't think art is something anyone could make. That's not to say art is some exclusive thing that only some are destined to make. Find something you drew as a toddler. Is that worth displaying? Is that "art"? Why? Why not? Some would say the record of your history as a budding artist has, in and of itself, artistic value. Others would ask why something their five year old could make is hanging in a gallery they paid to visit.

Didn't mean to write this much.

TL;DR:
    - Look into Pop Artists. Callen Schaub makes beautiful work, is on Youtube, and I think he considers himself a fine artist - even better.
    - 'value of art is subjective' talk.
    Last edited by MattyT; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:10 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You can't qualify art value by price as there are many more factors in pricing than art itself, there are many artist through out of history who didn't life rich life (money wise) Van Gogh would be one of them. Did you know money itself idea that we have put value to, why would you then value some piece of paper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZBYK4TOPY

Thanks
    Most art I experience (even in large museums) compares much more to small-time indie games. Games made by enthusiasts instead of profit-driven businesses. In my eyes the Hollywood-esque games often don't aim to give much more of an experience beyond entertainment. Art, of course, is a form of entertainment, but it can also be nasty at the same time. There's something besides the entertainment, and at times the entertainment just isn't there. To each their own. Not everyone likes the same art. Not everyone likes to play the same games.

Thanks
    Have you seen this: