Sketchbook: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff mike.

good chatting with you last week at sketch night.

post up some screenshots from the game you're working on, i'd love to see them.

i find it so interesting that Lovecraft's creatures are such a popular topic for drawing on these forums, even though the man went to great lengths in his writings to NOT tell you what the monsters look like. i love getting to see everyone's interpretations of very vague descriptions.

keep at it.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya know....Batman's left hand looks as though he's playing 'I'm squishing your head, I'm squishing your head' to whomever he's swooping down on. Just a fun observation....
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

parentes parentes!

like your stuffe and when i saw the batman i thought to bad marvel dont use pll like you (and yes i know batman i dc not marvel) (and no afens to the pll how draw in marvel but i think that its not what shall i say comic how they draw them. they shudd draw them more simpel like your batman (and dont take that as a wrong i like it) =)) keep up the good work

if i have C&C your work it should be most polite to C&C my work that would make me very happy

Lookys work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow

i'll tell you man, the only problem i have with this is that is seems too texturally even. you know what i'm talking about. the pencil rendering for the creature looks too even all around, and not different enough from the other materials surrounding it. i think you can really play with some different textures that can be obtained by pencil, or different kinds of pencils and erasers.

the stuff that you and Lou brought to sketch night was really good. my only crit is that the images looked a little washed out. either from the scanning or the printing, but i think they could've used more contrast.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aiight Mikey....I'm gonna stem off Prehistoric's comment and suggest ditchin' the mechanical pencil and pounce and start gettin' sloppy again with fat pencils, dippin' ink pens, etc. That's my only crit I can think of at the moment. But you know I ya.
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would crit, but it's just that your so much better than I am, I was going to say that Batman looked weird in his position and that his shoulders on his right is maybe too large and too close to his neck, but then again you said you drew it while you was drunk, so there goes any crit for me . The only thing I would suggest is to draw your characters in different camera angle like jack looking from the bottom and up at the giant, you know something like that. I think I need to start doing that too.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the help guys, this is stuff that I need to hear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've put some old stuff in here for filler, all art is in chronological order. A few pieces were done while at the workshop in Jan. The first 3 to be precise. As usual, I appologize for the quality of the scans. As for the graphic design stuff, it's being done for a t-shirt for our detachment pt shirt. I don't have creative freedom on this one really but this is what I was able to get away with. My instructions were to use just the text on the front of the shirt, and our logo on the back. I didn't show the logo because it's ugly as sin and they wont let me redesign it. The color sketch was a 15 minute rough I did to reinterpret a mini t-dome we did at Seattle sketch group a few weeks back. I'm still teaching myself color so give it to me straight.
    -Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to mention, I'm taking requests. If there's something you want to see me do, just say the word. I've been lacking direction with my work lately and my brain is drawing blanks. I can't guarantee that all requests will be drawn, but I'll try my best.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your sketches! Really cool!

~Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you've been doing alot of future related things, so how about trying to draw some fantasy, you can probably do a mix and match and make it look cool as hell, and environment haven't really seen you do any of that.

Your color is coming along nicely, you should definately start flating out a base color first and then work from that if you haven't, i got alot of tutorials links if you want some.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mike! Good updates!
    I want to see you do COW #10 for starters - that'll getcha goin!
    Next, I'd like to see you do a militant mutant jester (my idea from a previous sketch night) - 600x800 pixels, full color in Painter.
    Get crackin' bro!
    Cheers and keep posting!
    D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your sketchbook, it's a shame I haven't combed through it up until now! I love how your pencil work pops right off the page in your sketches. The inked stuff looks really readable, I could really use some good inking pointers, as it's not my strong area.

As far as ideas, I'm sapped myself, I think I've hit a bit of a slump... but whenever I do, I always like to think of some real-world animals, and combine them to make a creature that looks like it's suited for a specific habitat and has attributes all for a reason. It's fun to draw flying tentacles and random squiggly bits, but it's a good exercise to really think about what they're for. From there you could even design its environment, if that's something you want to play with. For example, if you want to make a character without eyes initially because it looks cool, think about animals that naturally have no vison and the adaptations they have to percieve the world (special sensory organs to detect heat, like a viper's "pits", feelers, like certain fish, echolocation, etc) and then play off that. You probably do it all the time, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few studies I did today to warm up before jumping into finishing off the mecha for CTech. (ref taken from Anatomy for the Artist) The finish line is visible... for the concept art at least, then it's onto illustration where I get to have fun with composition, dynamic poses, and the stuff I enjoy doing.

Majofo: Thank you

Sok: Yeah, sci-fi is kind of my genre of choice at the moment thanks to CTech. I'm determined to get good at sci fi.

Redehlert: Dave, dude, I'll do my best. My writer is yelling at me and telling me to finish the mecha for CTech. Once that's done I can go back to screwing around. I was all excited today that I'd have time to just draw what I want to draw.

Sapphire: Thx Sarah I appreciate you feedback and suggestions for what to draw. I thought I was going to get a break and do what I wanted to but as I just told Dave.. it's not going to happen anytime soon. While I'm in Japan I'll be able to do whatever I want, and I intend on taking full advantage of that. I've been slacking off the past few weeks just trying to relax and my art really suffered because of it. My work this past weekend was shit and isn't worth the time it takes to scan it.

Last edited by Undertow; April 18th, 2005 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

awersome sketchbook, love the mech stuff keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I know that skull anywhere... that's David York's, isn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow!, really cool stuff dude! I like your monsters and your chick under your logo of black sky studios. really really cool stuff!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, that's some Awesome stuff you got there. I really loved you mech, and droid stuff.
    Cheers,
    T.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got balls....I love your balls.

Where did you get that anatomy of that girl, or is that from memory, if not where can i get that pic, I need to do some girly studies, so my girls don't look like they've been pumping steroids in their arms.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sketches man !

and thanks for the congratulations !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuckin dope.

where did/do you go to school? and if you're still there what sem are u in?

Last edited by Choo on this; April 18th, 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you perchance use the book Anatomy for the Artist, by Sarah simblet>

Awesome aswesome shizz too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EKU: Thanks I'm slowly learning the ins and outs of designing mecha. I've taught myself how to do them within the last 8 months in between projects.
    Sapphire: Nope, got it out of Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet. It's a great book. I just picked it up this past weekend.. I don't know how I lived without it.
    Poise: thanks The female was drawn from reference. See note above.
    Tariq: Greatly appreciated mate
    Sok: What's up with the balls? I think I've seen you say that before, maybe I'm missing the reference. Speaking of reference, I got the female out of the book Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet.
    Hurricane: Bjorn, you da man, and no problem bro
    Choo: fuckin' thanks I went to school at MICA for a very short time (6 months) I'm 98% self taught.
    Pixeldragoon: yup, you got it Thx for the compliment.

and holy shit, 2 updates in one day? After a piss poor performance this past weekend I've regained my motivation and have starting hitting the books hard. I may even have another update by the time I go to bed. In the mean time, I'm teaching myself painter basics and trying to get comfortable with the tools. That being said, I find it's better to focus on black and white/gray scale and then work into color.. so here's a rough design for one of the Engels for CTech called the Auphan.

Last edited by Undertow; April 19th, 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn RIGHT MIKE!!!! Keep that graphite burnin, along with that stylus Looks like you're gettin pretty comfortable with painter you're gonna be deadly when you master it. You in Japan right now? How's everything goin on your end anyway?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff Undertow! For some reason, alot of this stuff reminds me of Halo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy looking at the sketches of the mechanical monsters very very very cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capprotti: MIKE! No dude, I'm still in WA, I wont be leaving for japan until June 1st. Thx for the compliments bro, greatly appreciated. I see that you've been hard at work on your thread as well, the seated female looks hot dude.
    I_WIN!: thanks man. Out of curiosity, why Halo?
    Deomonte21: thanks
    more render practice and torso study from the previously mentioned Anatomy for the Artist.

Last edited by Undertow; April 19th, 2005 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HO CUZ
    good fo see you bus yo okole on dees aat buusheet. you keep up da lolo pace and yo gon be one maui:hawaiian supa man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know, i thinks itss the alien things. Kinda reminds me of the flood I guess. And the people in the futuristic armor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Execute: heaz to hopin' sista! I goin' try to draw my ass off and get choke advice from da bad asses from dis site.. hopefully I goin' get moa advice den I get now
    working on torso's on my own. After asking Kekai (ProstateSunrise) as to what I should work on he said "more confident strokes" and told me to draw arms in a non-static state. Here's my first attempt. More to follow.
    -Mike V

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.