Sketchbook: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Mr. Undertow (or Mike, whichever you prefer). you have some great pieces here man. i was rather impresssed with the robot designs, and your character designs look rather awesome (maybe you did comics...?, maybe). I agree with phuzion with the faces. you can perhaps work on those a tad, but other than that, this stuff you got here is awesome. I also like your pencils, and i also got a crappy scanner (eh, i can only afford those cheap kinds right now, go figure.) Your work is "hella pussy" (used that term in phuzions sketchbook). keep it up.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a rough week. Here's a page out of the sketch book and a few of clothing designs for CTech.

Last edited by Undertow; December 7th, 2004 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool goodies Mike, Not a Travis clone but yeah influence in your work, but your style is all your own, just the inking technique is kinda like his, just to clearify myself. Damn I really like that Suit design for your ctech thing. I remember back in the sketchmeeting you said you were pretty forced into drawing mechs, and you've never done it before, but damn your doing a good job on that. Aight man see ya lates.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Moly!

That cover drawing is spectacular! Id love to see more of your stuff, but I understand NDA stuff all too well. Most of what I do at work every day is No Show as well, so I only get to post my after work stuff too.

I see the Travis sensibilities as well, and in some of your earlier posts it seemed like I saw a similar vibe to some of Prostate Sunrise and Insane Vision's sketches too. Both EXCELLENT artists!

Really nice costume designs on that last page there too.

Oh and for me, I'm not in comics right now, Im under contract at a Hollywood advertising firm that does video game and movie key art (Art designed to advertise and package entertainment products). I miss comics a lot tho, and have promised myself I will go back to it eventually.

Hope you are doing well! Keep the updates a flowin!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jokisalo: will do.
    Sok: thx for the encouragement. I'm no master of mecha, with time I will be better.
    Jade: I used to be a Travis clone back in the day. It took quite some time to get rid of that influence and start changing things up. With regards to the Prostate stuff, yeah I dig Kekai's creature designs. The current project we're doing requires me to do allot more than I've ever done before. Like I told Sok, I had never drawn mechs, monsters, or vehicles before this current project so I'm branching out quite a bit. I'll post more finished work later once I start working on the interior illos and the updated cover artwork for the book. If it isn't obvious I put allot more into my finished work than I do in my sketchbook. I'm a perfectionist with my print work so cover art/illustration takes quite a bit of time for me to get it where I'm somewhat satisfied.

an piece that's a year and half old or so that I never finished and ended up throwing in the scrap pile

To whomever voted me down, I would at least appreciate an explanation as to why you voted me down. Constructive criticism helps more than just doing a hit and run.

-Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, i really like the black and white costume above of the space suit type dude, thats cool you should do more in that style, def something nice about it. i wouldnt worry about the stars rating, they are lame and pretty much most the sketchbooks here are over-rated. i mean everyone getting 5 stars for updating shouldnt justify 5 stars, you got to compare a sketchbook to someone like ryan church's sketch book so i would say most sketch books here are about a 3 if you want to compare to the best. just my thoughts

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that space suit concept you just posted also. very tight looking. I like all your mech designs alot too.. it's amazing you hadn't drawn them before, you're a natural at it! Hope you can make it down to another sketch meet or zoo trip some time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gasmask: what up Chris? Thx for the compliment on the space suit dude. It's an engel pilot uniform for CTech actually. It still has to undergo some refinement, I'm not digging the little metal stretch bands around the arms and the legs. My costume design influences are heavily inspired by Range Murata. If you're not familiar with his work I recommend checking it out. I'm actually more proud of the casual clothes with the warm up/dress pants and especially the jacket. Regarding the stars, I wont be comparing myself to Ryan Church anytime in the near future so I'm not worried about it I was just a little annoyed that someone would vote me down and give me to common courtesy of a critique to improve my artwork instead of just thread crapping and essentially saying behind my back, "Your work is not worthy of your rating" and not explaining why.

Eli: Regarding mechs.. there was nothing "Natural" about those designs.. it was like pulling teeth to get them to look like that even as sketches.. but thanks Regarding the sketch meet and Zoo time, yeah dude, it was a blast, we've got to do that again after all these deadlines wind down. Mid December sound good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as for another zoo trip, right now I'm thinking of going on Saturday, Dec 11th.. life drawing in the morning, then zoo, then sketch group.. just like last time. I'll be posting this in the local group thread also to see if we can more folks to join us.. Good luck nailing your deadlines!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great work here Mike, glad you are posting.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome work here!

defanetly a 5 star thread, so thats what i gave u

keep posting man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Wow

Undertow, you kick incomprehensible amounts of ass! Very inspiring work, especially your ink work. I feel like drawing more. I was gonna go to bed but now it's like screw it, I want to draw more! Keep up the good work.
    ~J
    http://www.realmsofnowhere.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePagan
    Undertow, you kick incomprehensible amounts of ass! Very inspiring work, especially your ink work. I feel like drawing more. I was gonna go to bed but now it's like screw it, I want to draw more! Keep up the good work.
    ~J
    http://www.realmsofnowhere.com
    that is by far the nicesty compliment that anyone has ever given my work I'm insanely busy with work that's covered under NDA right now all of which is actually residing in my sketch book right now. I'm currently working on the cover art for the RPG CthulhuTech that I'm collaborating with Daniel Horne on. I will make sure to at least post that image once I've finished off the pencils and I hand it off to Daniel to work his magic.
    -Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, interesting views on characters, get the word "smooth" in my head when watching your creatures, make me want to draw on paper more.. cool shit !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I've posted up the phantom but this is some of the work that I've been doing that kind of explains the reason why I haven't been updating at all.. now that this stuff is available on another public forum it's cool to dump it up here.

Hurricane: Thx for the compliment man, means allot to hear that I'm doing something right from other artists. I don't hang out with any other artists (w/the exception of Lou Holsten aka Skrubbles) so.. Either way, I'm glad I make you want to draw more
    -Mike

WIP on the cover art. THe holidays have been eating into my production time.. I can't wait until the workshop is over and I can return to my old schedule. There's allot more work that I'm not posting but this should cover it. I'm going to be changing the chararacter just right of the engel pilot (center character) due to it not being dynamic enough.. and the fact that the tentacles can extend to 30 ft. kind of underuses them
    -Mike V

Last edited by Undertow; January 23rd, 2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: making space on site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sexy work, man. Good to see some Cthulhu Tech stuff! See you around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff man. The insect guy in the firs batch is great and those Cthulhu Tech sketches are incredible. Loved the inks too. Can't wait to see the cover finished.

Nice work - hope to see some more

PS. Are you a Tool fan ?

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdeye
    Awesome stuff man. The insect guy in the firs batch is great and those Cthulhu Tech sketches are incredible. Loved the inks too. Can't wait to see the cover finished.

Nice work - hope to see some more

PS. Are you a Tool fan ?
    Like the stuff you've got going on in your sketch book. I keep planning on doing some more finished renders in my sketch books but I usually end up saying screw it after the first few pages and focus more on loose stuff and save it for the finished art. Thx for the compliment on the CTech stuff and my inks Yes, i am a Tool fan btw you going to the workshop?
    -Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The workshop was amazing, and has given me just the kick in the ass that I've needed to up my game. Anyhow, here's some more recent work. I cracked the cover on a new sketchbook on day 2 of the workshop. Hopefully it will be a big improvement over my old one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice stuff ! clean and nice to look at !

keep on posting man !

cheers !

BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mikey you so crazy...

That new sb cover is rockin out I'm sure you'll improve lots - with the track yer on you'll be unstoppable.

I'll be in touch witcha' soon. Keep em' coming!

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, this rocks. I love the cover you did, very kewl. Is it drawn right on the outside cover or do you have it on the first page?

Sanby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanby
    Man, this rocks. I love the cover you did, very kewl. Is it drawn right on the outside cover or do you have it on the first page?

Sanby
    Steak.. thanks Kemp, give me a call once you're settled in. You're a west coast guy now, HAHAHAHA "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!"

Sanby: It's the first page on the interior. I've actually started 2 sketch books simultaneously. I have like 6 or 7 pages to post but I haven't had the time to scan them yet.
    -Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff in here dude, I'm digging your pencils. Keep this mofo updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike so how was the comic-con? Sorry I had to miss it, but next chance we get to hang out, let me know!! Tell Lou I said WASSSUP!

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn... nice to see your sketchbook up... Love it!but, you already know that.. Rock On!

--TAS--

Thomas A. Szakolczay
    tasart@aol.com
    www.tasmediafile.com

TAS's Sketchbook

TAS-Folio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hurricane: Thx Bjorn, you're not too shabby yourself j/k greatly appreciated, hope to have you do some work for us
    strych9ine: working on it.. I'm on an anti-biotic right now that makes me really sick to my stomach so I haven't been at my computer for the past couple of days. Today I decided to scan up some of the stuff in my sketch books (I have 2 started right now) since I wasn't feeling well enough to draw:/
    Sok: It was dope, I got Josh Middleton, Randy Post (as well as an original piece of magic concept art), and Gabe (Penny Arcade) to draw in my sketch book. I have the fruit fucker in my sketch book.. I'm sooooo happy!
    TAS: dude.. thx.. stay tuned for art assignments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work, keep em comin

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.