Sketchbook: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54 - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Rakugaki (FEB 2ND) 14:54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, simple colours, but very well done. Looks godd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmmmmmm..... good stuff Mike. Makes me wish I was closer to Seattle.

Still digging your line and pencil work, bro.

Cheers,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perhaps we need to have a sketch night out in your areas, shane and mike!
    whatsay you?

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BW: Brandon, I see exactly what you're talking about, I'll make the change when I get home this evening, good eye bro thanks With regards to the helmet, I'm going to keep the same color scheme going the only thing I'm torn about is the lenses. I'm not sure if I want to make them clear and draw in some eyes behind them or gray them out.. I'll experiment more with them later and then just add the helmet onto the color shot for finishes. If you look closely I added the vent holes to the opposite forearm in the update, I noticed that I forgot them in the original and just used the circle tool in Painter to create them.

bdfoster: Thanks brotha It's a revision of a previous design for the everyman Tager for CthulhuTech called the Phantom. The mouth/beak is set up like mandibles so that area will open to the sides to reveal an almost vaginal mouth that emits the howl (special attack) and the arm will have a spike/blade that slides out. The chest cavity also has the ability to open for its limit attack where a mass of tentacles comes out and pulls them into the chest area for consumption. I'll have to draw quite a few different sketches showing all this stuff. The one that I was struggling with last night was the limit attack with the tentacles. With regards to Tool.. definitely not soon enough. If you couldn't tell by my handle alone (Undertow) I'm a long time fan of Maynard.

Red: Dave, I have to do multiple views. Read my response to BD to see some of the details I have to include from the character description. I swear, my writer likes to challenge me with this stuff. If it wasn't for him having such faith in my abilities I wouldn't have been able to do any of the stuff that I've done over the last year. I'd never drawn mechs, creatures or anything outside the super hero genre until I started working on CthulhuTech. This site has been such an amazing resource in helping me grow as an aspiring concept artists. There are far too many talented guys here that I have to compete with which makes me push myself that much harder every day.

GunTrouver: Thanks man

Oregano: Shane, thanks a ton for the compliments! I'm looking forward to seeing your portfolio soon.

Updates tonight, wife is in class again so there will be no distractions.. I'll be turning off my cell phone as well and not going online until I'm done for the night. I even missed Lost.. so Seattle guys, if you happen to TiVo episodes and have the ability to burn them to disk I'll be asking to borrow them in a few months as I'm swearing off TV completely.

And now for my recipe for a traditional Hawaiian breakfast. I lived in Hawaii for 7 years and grad from high school there so this $#!t was staple in my daily diet when I lived there. I still cook it as a midnight snack on the weekends when I'm up late working on art as well. Total prep time is about 15 minutes only because the Rice takes a little while to cook.
    There are a few variations for this easy to make breakfast so I'll just give you the ingredients.
    2 ice cream scoops of Hinode sticky rice (buy a rice cooker if you don't already have one)
    1/2 can of SPAM sliced and fried on a skillet or the alternate is fried Portuguesse Sausage.
    2 eggs prepared to your liking.
    Once you've prepared all the previous ingredients put them on a plate, add soy sauce to EVERYTHING and eat. You can skip the soy if you don't like it, or if you don't like food too salty you can by low sodium Kikoman soy as well.

I cook lots of Asian/Pacific Island stuff, Thai, and Italian. I'm not big on American stuff but do cook a mean steak and hamburgers. If there are any requests out of those categories just let me know. I'll add a recipe during the day while I've got down time at work or during lunch and put art up at night.
    Bon Apetit,
    Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could you illustrate your recipe for us in a line drawn mech style?
    that'd be sweet.
    i'll have to come out to your pad to dine some time....
    never had spam. i'm scared. hold me.
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my failures for this evening. I'm going go goof off in my sketch book for a little while.. like I should've before I started tonight.
    5 minutes of coloring a helmet and doing some cropping. I've gotta color the back image now.

Red: I'll cook for ya, wont hold you, and there's no way I'll have spare time to draw the recipe out

Last edited by Undertow; January 28th, 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ready for a nit-pick? there are some lines that are too heavy on the helmet. most noticable on the edge above his right eye. that line denotes the surface curving away from the viewer and it should be receiving a good chunk of light --> should be a really thin line. there's also some similar lines in the muzzle/air filter areas that can also be crisper.

if it were my drawing, I'd spend some more time working on the pencils for that demon guy. I find I'm much better at designing and problem solving on paper; weak areas in my work get amplified when I take them to digital color.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you having a Fiducious style in the future when you master your technique.. keep up the good work.

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mike!
    don't pull your hair out....leave that action to me...it's my own fun disorder.
    i'd say look at prometheus' work and see how he goes silly with layin' down color (even sloppy with goin' outside of the lines and then takin' out stuff later to bring the form into focus). the colors will happen on their own if you let them. some gradient values to lead the eyes up to your main point of focus - seems to be the head to me - will be a great asset.
    i really dig your creature man.
    cheers!
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this sketchbook is awesome, i definitly learned from it. thanks man!

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Undertow; January 28th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These new colors and the style are great! Seriously, where did you learn to "mech-anize" like this. (not sure what its called :| )

[

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bw: Brandon, I see what you're saying with the helmet. Unfortunately the helmet was drawn really low rez so I'm going to have to redraw the damn thing. Good eye. This pseudo ortho is going to be a WIP for about a month until I've gotten the hang of color, at least portfolio worthy color. W/regards to the Tager (Phantom) I'm way ahead of you. I depend on my pencils to get the figure to work. It wasn't even closed to finished, just me goofing around. I'm using rough sketches as learning/practice pieces for color work.
    Vigo: thanks for the compliment. I have to say, I'm familiar with his work and I'm not a big fan. He has too many random fucking shapes just floating in space that make no fucking sense. Don't get me wrong, he's a great technical artist but there is no rhyme or reason behind half the shit he does (other than filler and random shit) and that drives me insane.
    Red: I'm workin' on it foo! Give me some time, I'm just now really diving head first into color. It's going to take some time to pick this shit up.. I'll just continue plugging away at it until I've got work that's worthy of getting a job.
    GOBLINSHARK: Thanks for dropping in and I'm glad that you were able to learn something. I'm one of those guys that learns allot better visually than any other method. I try to break it down into simple steps and describe the thought process in such a manor that someone can pick up on why and how I do what I do. Keep popping back in, updates should be almost daily.
    Taj: Thanks brotha! When you say "mech-anize" I'm assuming that you're talking about mechanical design? I can't really describe where or how I learned this stuff. I look at a bunch of actual mechanical objects; weapons, vehicles, and random shapes and figure out ways to make shit work on a practical scale. I've always been a big stickler for making something look like it actually works. Masmune Shirow works very much on the same mind set that I do.. I really dig how the man thinks and apply it to my own work. There are too many designs out there that have no rhyme or reason that just look bull shit to me. I'd like someone to look at my work and say "That could work" as opposed to "Holy shit that looks cool, how does it work?".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Heya Undertow,

Sorry to be such a slowpoke in getting here...just been kind of overwhelmed with stuff to do, but can I be of any help? Your stuff looks amazing, not sure I can offer anything...but if you are in need of help with a specific problem, I can give it a shot.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update! regarding color, my current solution is just studying works you admire (historical, contemporary or from life) and question why you like them so much.
    cheers!
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rough day creatively. I'm trying too hard and feeling like there's no chance that I'm going to find employment with the crap I've been putting out.. at least anything less than an internship, if I was single that'd be cool but I have a wife to worry about. Regardless, I'm going to go make myself a Martini and try and draw for a few hours in my sketchbook. I'll post what I put into my non-digital sketchbook tomorrow. In the mean time this was my attempt at the Dragon Eater, unfortunately I didn't realise that it was White Skinned Dragon eater. Many failed coloring attempts later I decided to quit. It'd be rough to bs my way through a white SKINNED creature description with an insectoid critter. No real story, just working with shapes and trying to make it look dangerous enough that you wouldn't want to go near it no matter the size.

Rebeccak: Thanks for dropping in and for the huge compliment, I'm not worthy I was having some issues with the feet on the combat armor from the rear and for some reason can't break through my mental block every time I look at it. Any advice is good advice!
    Red: Way ahead of you partner, thanks for the advice. So are we on for this Friday? I really want to go to life drawing.. it's been a frustrating week for me artistically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Heya Undertow,

Hey, the compliment is definitely deserved! I'm amazed at the quality of work that's posted here, and am always inspired by people who do drawings almost purely from imagination well.

With respect to the foot issue, probably you're feeling frustrated because you've been looking at the same thing for too long...why not step back, do a few studies of your own feet or of someone else's or from Reference (either digitally or traditionally ~ I would recommend maybe doing some traditionally and then scanning them), just to loosen up? This could help a bit, giving you a fresh perspective on your, erm, feet.

I used to do a lot of paintovers until I realized that paintovers don't really force the other person to practice. You already know how to fix things, it's likely just a mental block at this point. Enjoy your martini, relax, and enjoy sketching!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mikey!
    we're on for this friday....so be pwepawed.
    boy do i know how you feel sometimes, bro. but i'd hire you or take you on as an intern in a heartbeat - your dedication wins you serious points in addition to your skills that keep progressively improving.

re: white skinned dragon eater insect - white can also be translucent - milky white covering that is like 80% opaque allowing the colors of the internal guts to add to the overall tone of the insect's exterior. don't give up on this....it's lookin' pretty darn dangerous so far.

cheers!
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rebeccak: Will do, thx for the pseudo art psychology Well, if I'm going to go insane and require help I'd prefer that it were art related.. I guess I can't argue with the outcome too much. I'll fix that foot eventually. In the mean time I'm going to be lazy for a little bit.
    Red: Dave, it's on like Donkey Kong. I hope that someone else sees the potential in me and is willing to take a chance on me. I know that I am a very quick learner, it just takes being in a studio environment to truly advance artistically. Being out here on my own shows slow development, and on occasion medium sized leaps in a short period of time. I might try f'ing with the color tomorrow.. then again I might not. It depends upon the mood I'm in. Regardless, see ya this weekend.

Some nude drawing from my folder o' females that the Seattle conceptart group was drooling over a week ago. Before anyone asks.. no, I do not have any ugly people in my reference folders, I've got a mirror for that

Last edited by Undertow; January 30th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chuck norris doesn't get wet when he jumps in the water.
    the water gets chuck norris.

nice update mike - i felt naughty lookin' at your nipply friend there.

peace!
    d

Last edited by redehlert; January 31st, 2006 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boo-ya. Hot stuff! I love your armor and tech stuff. Especially since it's something I simply can't do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched 'The Corpse Bride' with the wife for our date night and decided to just unwind as I haven't taken a night off of drawing for a few weeks... although I did do about 5 minutes of marker sketches and a 10 minute ID demo for one of the guys at work one of them is in the trash can and the other is unreadable.

Red: Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits. I'm glad that girl made you feel 'naughty' I'll have to do more stuff like that just to bump up the shock factor in my sketch book.. after I posted it I was thinking that it might be a tad on the borderline of pornography and then I thought of Insane Visions sketchbook titles in the past and some of the stuff he's posted so I figured I'd be ok.

Bd: Is that 'boo-ya' in tribute to my most favorite sports commentator? Thx for the compliment on the tech stuff. I think the big thing that would help you out is doing a bunch of figure studies and boning up on perspective. It's all about mastery of perspective and basic shapes with this stuff. I'm not a master by any means but I think I have a strong enough grasp to pull off the more complicated stuff. Scott Robertson has a pretty decent DVD that would help you quite a bit (go to the Gnomon site and check them out). Once you've nailed that stuff pick up Feng Zhu's fighting robots set, it will give you a great look into ID. The order that I'm currently working in for my portfolio is character, creature, and industrial design and then rotating through the list.. soooo after the Phantom is all said and done I'll be moving into my first ID piece. Would you like me to do a step by step?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow
    Would you like me to do a step by step?
    Absolutely. Any time I can see someone's process it helps me immensely. Thanks also for the other pointers. I'm working on all of it, I assure you, but I think my strength has always been in rendering, value and composition, so I tend to do more noodling on my stuff and less of the "clean line" style you've got going on. Enough talk from me. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bdfoster: Brandon, will do brotha. Sorry for the lack of updates. Been dicking around in my sketch book and failing at stuff that I'm normally decent at. I just doodled some really wacky ass proportioned figures and did allot of erasing trying to fix the problems. I called it quits after 2 hrs of frustration. I did a little more with the combat armor action shot and will scan that later.
    ChOW that I discovered yesterday. Wish I knew that the topic was out 3 days ago so I could've done more work on it. Regardless, this will have to do. About 3 hrs of design and pencil. Still needs about another hour of revison and clean up but it'll have to do as I'm going to Seattle tomorrow and wont be able to finish the pic to my liking before Sat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nailed it in one!! I think the design is great. There's a few little proportion issues that could be fixed, though. Her left arm is a little short in the upper arm. Her left foot seems considerably smaller than her right. The inside of her right thigh looks a little too concave and the bottom strap holding the holster on isn't really following the form well-- the contour of it should help give more volume to that area. Last crit pick-- I feel like the various elements on her uniform are lacking in real volume-- they all seem like paper thin stickers. The belts should all have a thickness, the "accordian" style joints should come away from the arm a little more, the space boots should be thicker, etc. Some of this is just an issue of the contour (The belts are all the same contour at the edges of her leg as whatever is underneath it) and some of it is in showing that "other edge".

Hot stuff, can't wait to see the updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow
    b
    ChOW that I discovered yesterday. Wish I knew that the topic was out 3 days ago so I could've done more work on it.
    Mike, I owe you a huge apology on that. I should have pm'd you to let you know for certain. I kind of assumed you know after we spoke, but I shouldn't have.

Let me know how I can make that up to you, okay?

~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yehaw! Go Mike! Bravo....wrap this up tightly with a bow on top. Just think of your line work and don't sweat color. Monotone would be perfect to work with if the time is gettin' the best of ya.
    Cheers!
    D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Mike, I owe you a huge apology on that. I should have pm'd you to let you know for certain. I kind of assumed you know after we spoke, but I shouldn't have.

Let me know how I can make that up to you, okay?

~Shane
    Hey-- You didn't PM me about it either. I demand recompense!!! (like a sketchtrade or something)

Love the new sig, Shane!

/threadjack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BD: Correct on all accounts.. it kind of sucks that now I look at it with sober eyes and realize that my proportions are all jacked up and I'll have to redraw the whole thing. It's not an excuse but I was drinking a fair amount of vodka last night and didn't really spend a bunch of time with drawing the figure properly.. rather.. it looked ok at the time. Allot of the paper thin elements aren't finished that's why they look paper thin. I rough in lines in the area that I want to put something and then come back and revisit it later.. there's no sense in wasting your time renderring the shit out of a strap only to realize later that the placement or idea doesn't work. It's been a frustrating week for me artistically.. I feel like I've lost my mojo.. it's really weird that my brain and hand seemed to have dumped the muscle memory of figure drawing. I'll have to work twice as hard to get my shit back in gear. Overall I think the design works rather well though. Most of the entries so far are rather plain looking and not entirely keeping with the Sky Captain feel. Regardless, I might redraw it this evening at sketchgroup.. whenever I show up.

Shane: Well.. I'm uncertain as to how you could make it up to me... I've already managed to make a fool out of myself by even posting what I had. How about lunch sometime in the next month or 2? Speaking of which, is Todd still living up this way? I need to start networking up here again.

Red: I'm going to try and find a bunch of Wally Wood reference and print it out to bring with me tonight. I'll end up doing another drawing and bring my pens to do some tight ink work on it in Wally Woods style to fit the genre since that seems to be what's winning the public over with Walnuts piece.

BD: This is for the threadjack

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.