Thanks

Looking for help (everything about digital painting technique/brushwork in general)

Hello CA.org fellows,

I would like to make digital illustrations, so I need to learn how to use the digital medium properly first. I watched the videos of Marco Bucci and I guess I got the ideas behind, but I don't know how to develop a good brushwork digitally, with would allow me to render things properly using the soft and hard brushes story, and that's why I came here.

How do I get started in digital painting?? How many brushes should I use ??

Here is an attempt at still life. This is supposed to be a lemon ; though I don't know how to indicate the lemon texture.
    Name:  StillLIFE1.jpeg
Views: 1420
Size:  342.0 KB

This is what I can do traditionnally. I want to fill the gap between these two techniques and become better.
    Name:  OnionTraditional.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  333.9 KB

Thanks in advance,
    Inasha

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Study some old masters, like Sargent, Zorn, Repin for example, what I think you need some variation there to make it more interesting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    For digital paint, http://www.ctrlpaint.com is a good resource.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Brushes are a matter of taste. Additionally, you can't expect a brush to do the work for you. You actually have to take time and observe your subject. So observe it and figure out how to copy what you see. And for the love of god, don't use a photograph of a lemon. Go and get an actual real-life lemon and shine a light on it. Make several studies.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Brushes are a matter of taste.
    Brushes are in the eye of the beholder!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    You look like you're in exactly the same boat I was in when I first started out in digital painting; experience with traditional but trying to make the leap. The bad news is that it's very tough to retrain your brain to use a whole new tool set that sometimes will contradict what you what you know. The good news is that there's a lot more software that makes the jump into digital much easier now than there used to be.

My suggestion would be to start by working on top of your traditional pieces, either scanned in or photographed. My suggestion is download Krita. It's a free painting software that, in my opinion, rivals Photoshop and any of the other big painting programs (I've used a bunch). In the brush presets, theres a library of paintings that are the most natural feeling digital paints I've used yet. This is the closest I've seen a program come to digital painting and it shows. There are 4 pre-made blenders in the paint brush library and they make digital painting feel like oil painting (I usually just stick with the brushed Blender_Texture_Soft and Blender_Blur).

Take your sketches, your drawings, and start painting on top of them for practice. Blend the colors to get a feel for creating brush strokes. Play around with soft and hard edges. I think by starting with this program and starting with a very limited range of brushes, you'll quickly begin to understand what works and doesn't work so well digitally. You look like the already have the basics down by the looks of your traditional stuff, it's now a matter of translating that knowledge into a new medium.

Thanks
    @stonec : ok, I'll do it since it seems to be a good way to improve. What should I focus on when doing a master study ? Accuracy in proportions and colors? Comprehension and restitution of the brushwork?

@eezacque : thanks for the link, it seems really interesting!

@David_a_ray : I don't know, I have the feeling that all brushes aren't equal to attain the result that I want. My main problem here is the transposition of what I know on traditional media to digital media ...
    Yes, using different lights to study an object seems interesting, I'll give it a try after some master studies

@keith_v : thanks a lot for your advice, it really enlightens me ! I'll pay attention to what you have said and experiment a lot with Krita

So, I let that here for the record before the master studies. Even if the form is bad and the perspective is clearly off (also thanks to my lack of accuracy with this media at the moment), it looks better than my previous attempt at digital painting.

Name:  EtudeSomersby2.jpeg
Views: 438
Size:  69.2 KB

Thanks
    The biggest thing I had to (and continue to have to) remember is that digital "cheats" aren't cheats. They're just the way digital painting becomes more successful. Learning hacks and tricks is honestly the key to being a better digital painter. Now I'm off to take my own advice....
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster