Thread: Fatman feedback

Thanks

Fatman feedback

Hello,

I'm an art student studying to become an character artist/concept artist and I have to open up more to feedback and critique. So therefore I joined this forum
    This is a finished piece I did. It was a fun work to do! I already have received some feedback on the perspective of the leg, lines in the face and perspective of the face, but more feedback is more than welcome! The quality on the forum is not that good, but you can find better quality on my artstation account. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOJmZQ
    Fatman feedback
    Thanks in advance for helping me and taking the time to give me feedback!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:32 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really don't see the point in putting down Dominos' workers. Maybe you had a bad experience, maybe you're too young to have had a job. Regardless, this is in very poor taste.

I've never worked in fast food, but I'm certainly not *above* doing so if need be. I'm also not mad. I'm just critiquing.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah this is a bit cringe. Dominos drivers have to go through so much crap to do their job. In terms of character concept art, this is cartoony rather than stylised, everything is symbols not really desirable when it comes to portfolio character concept art.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I did be no means try to be above domino's workers, if that's how I came across I'm sorry for that! I'll rephrase the startpost. Tenchi, could you explain to me what you mean by everyting is symbols? I'm trying to learn, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Thanks
    This doesn't really bother me so much as it did for the others. I can tell you're trying to go for a 'Larry the Cable Guy' / gross neck-beard type character. Taking all of that into account, it's still not a very strong design. This looks like any 'generic fat slob' character, with nothing that really makes him stand out on his own.

The design itself aside, if you want to be a character designer you must, must, must have a stronger grasp of anatomy. You drew his left foot upside-down, the hand picking his nose looks flat, his legs are spread impossibly wide (look at where his left thigh ends at the hip)...There's a lot wrong here that goes beyond the shield of having a cartoony style. I don't want to come off as too harsh, but there are dozens of character designers out there. If you want to be one of them you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Thanks
    I'm not the police or anything, but you get points in my book for being receptive to some pretty cut and dry criticism.

On that note: You're going to want to get started drawing absolutely everything around you in real life and see if you can't get a copy of Andrew Loomis' book "Figure Drawing for all it's worth."

Welcome to C.A.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    That forward facing shoe is whack. Typically the ball of the foot (toe part of the shoe) is bigger, and has a curve towards the center. It would help... as now it looks like a striped peanut or bean.

I get the exaggerated fat guy look, but those legs are bolted on up and to the far sides of the pelvis. Again - that forward facing leg needs work.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    The guy looks surprised but not sure why. What's on his phone display? His left foot needs to be larger on top and smaller on bottom. I would've refrained coloring it and do couple of sketch iterations first.
    comic book art, K-12 animation / art education, digital
    Sketchbook
    https://sites.google.com/view/drawallday/home
    deviantART