Thanks

Complaints of a Freelancer

So I've been wanting to complain about something for a while now but no platform feels safe or appropriate - I think it's important to stay positive and certainly project that energy for posts that potential clients might see. We want to appear approachable, friendly, and content most of the time!

But holy cow I am so sick of people who approach me for commissions, and then back out.

I'm lucky enough that a lot of the commissions I get are people who come to me. But of all the folks who come to me only about 2% actually move forward with a purchase.
    And it's frustrating because I'll spend precious time talking to them, going over prices, all that stuff. And then they just ghost.

This is likely what freelance work simply is all about to some degree, but it's so annoying!

Anyway - if you have thoughts on this or just want to vent your own complaints about freelancing I'm all ears!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 1,022 Posts
    I'm afraid this is an issue with freelancing in general, not just art. When I was actively freelancing in software development, I dealt with several tens of prospective customers to get one project...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh yeah I'm familiar with that frustration, sometimes when ever I mention the word 'contract' or 'pay' they ghost. I've been waiting on one of my clients to pay me for 2 months now.

Thanks
    Put everything you've discussed with them on a FAQ on your freelancing website. Make sure it talks about what you charge for your services and what deliverables you provides and how your artwork review process goes and all that stuff. Show them that you are a professional artist and they will ghost before they even contact you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I'm afraid this is an issue with freelancing in general, not just art. When I was actively freelancing in software development, I dealt with several tens of prospective customers to get one project...
    Aint that the truth. The struggle to justify yourself, skills, etc while folk constant are looking for ways to scam ya out of time and money. Be it freelance art or software dev work.

Complaints of a Freelancer
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    I hear you , but that is a bit pessimistic isn't it?

How much of this frustration that artists feel about client relationships is due to bad clients and how much is due to bad business processes on the freelancer's end?? (like not tracking invoices properly, not having defined terms of service, not vetting clients and so on) I kind of think a lot of these problems could be solved by the freelance artist taking a course in small business management.